New tumbler

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Kurt
PostsCOLON 654
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

New tumbler

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 pm

I completely wore out my Tumblers Tumbler, bearings and the rubber traction sleeves as well as the barrel liner so I replaced it with a Rebel 17 extreme tumbler two years ago and it is a great unit. When the Black Friday sales where on I saw a Frankford Arsenal tumbler plus 5# of pins and cleaner just over $100. with free shipping so I ordered it because at times I wish I had two running to keep up with my case cleaning when I' hit the summer matches where I will empty a bunch.
I gave this new tumbler a run with clean cases I ran through the Rebel 17 that really were not clean inside and the primer pockets that I been cleaning with a mix of ceramics and SST pins but I never got them clean all the way so I ran two loads through the Arsenal 100 .44-77 cases for the first and 200 for the second load and I set the timer for 1-1/2 hours and dumped them in a 50 mesh screen classifier and that water was just as black as if I would just have cleaned fired cases. They are now clean.
When I first started the unit turned a lot faster then the Rebel and a lot noisier but I can put up with the noise as long as it does it's job. The higher RPM has no effect on the case mouth then the Rebel gets. I thought that I might see some peening like some report from the fast turning Tumblers but this is not the case with this one either. Maybe the full drum of water they suggest using and the SST pins cushions the case mouth from getting beat up.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1665
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: New tumbler

Post by Brent » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:23 am

How many "facets" does the new tumbler have? My Lortone is 10 or 12 sided and I think that must matter to the alleged case mouth peening.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 654

Post by Kurt » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:29 am

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 am

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Ive been using the frankford one for about 2 years now. I do get a small amount of peening on the case mouth but about once a year I just run my VLD deburrer into the case mouth and continue on( I run them through my annealing machine as well at this time). I found the peening reduced when you only filled the drum to just over the cases while the drum is vertical.

Dave

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 pm

I fill my Thumbler to within about an inch of top. Seems pretty gentle on the case mouths but I did reduce time from what I used to tumble. Been turning about an hour of late.

Nice to know something is in the wings when this one wears out. From what I've read on Kurt's posts I'm thinking I have a while to catch up with his volume, maybe a lifetime:-)

Kurt
PostsCOLON 654

Post by Kurt » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Well SGT. when your having fun at the Quigley match for a whole week it don't take long to fill a 5 gallon bucket :)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY