match 1 bpcr nationals

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
hueyw
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:36 pm

match 1 bpcr nationals

Post by hueyw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 pm

winner of match 1, brad rice 50 x 60
second, brian chilson 49,
third, david barnes 48,
1st master, mike venturino.

forgot the rest, will post results later,
hueyw

Brent
PostsCOLON 1642
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:22 pm

For us less informed types what, exactly, is match 1?

hueyw
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:36 pm

Post by hueyw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:11 pm

sorry, i didn't make clearer, that is the first 60 round match of nra national silhouette championship.

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Brent,

The National championship is shot over 4 days, with A&B groups. A group shoots monday and wednesday and B shoots Tuesday and Thursday. The 2 groups shoot their 60 shots for match 1, group A-Monday and group 2 Tuesday for match 1. Match 2 is the same, matches 1 and 2 combined make up the aggregate of 120 shots for match 3 and determining the National Champion.

Kelley O.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:00 pm

Are they A and B groups for purposes of shooter distribution, or is A supposedly better shooters than B?

Hiwall
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 pm
LocationCOLON Central California

Post by Hiwall » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:02 pm

Thanks for the post Huey,
It is really good to see some of the results on the web so quickly.

We will see you at the end of this week for the BPCR Scope Nationals.
tom
tom patton

decook2k
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:57 pm

Post by decook2k » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am

Shooter distribution Ranch 13.

-dc

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:40 am

Thank you decook.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1642

Post by Brent » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:45 am

Thanks for the descriptions guys. I guess that the two groups never shoot side by side for the final score? Seems a bit odd, but then I guess that's why I keep hearing so much ranting and raving about the rules for this match.

Brent

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:10 pm

The problem is, there isn't enough room to accommodate 400 shooters all on the same day, that is the reason for two groups.

I believe is was 1995-6 that there was a shoot off for national champion on the fifth day, a shoulder to shoulder match, the top 16 or 32 were taken to determine the champion.

There was a vote taken a few years ago to see what the shooters wanted, a format that took the top 32 shooters and those shooters shot for the championship or keep it the way it is now. It was voted down and will not be brought up again. Some guys feel that it wouldn't be a national championship with a shoot off format, me, I thought so and voted for the shoot off format.

Raton will alway be a luck of the draw because of the fickle weather. One day blue bird conditions the next you get crapped on. Silhouette Irons and mid-range position and prone are luck of the draw for weather because of the two group format. Creedmoor and scope, as of now anyway, are shoulder to shoulder matches with every competitor pretty much getting the same conditions.

Kelley O.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1642

Post by Brent » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:14 pm

I can see the problems and the need for the matches to be set up as they are, but a shoot-off round seems almost imperative in my mind.

Interesting. Thanks,

Brent

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Brent,

Your used to dealing with students that have good I.Q.. I whole hardly agree that a shoulder to shoulder shoot off for national champion would seem imperative. You've grasped the situation without ever going to Raton.

The BPCR Silhouette majoritys mentality does not grasp, when they are at Raton shooting for the championship title, that if the format was a shoot off for the top so many, it's still a national event and anyone can enter and vie for the title. The great masses feel only the top classes, AAA and Master, have a shot at winning and the winner usually comes from Master class anyway. For some reason those guys feel excluded, which is not so. The awards will still be the same. I wanted the shoot off simply because the luck factor is minimized. Would I have made the finals if there was a shoot off format, 4 times out of the last 8 years, so it is still yes for me. Good shooting takes alot of hard work along with a good mental game.

Look at the shooting in the Olympics, top ten only. Golf is another one, there is a cut for the final two days.

Any more I go to a match and do the best I can and don't worry about the stuff I can't control.

Kelley O.

P.S. Brent, you want to compete against some high quality shooters, come to the Georgia regional mid range championships Sept. 23-24..I'm attending, hopefully Al, It'll be a fun match and quality competition.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:52 pm

Looks to me like the true National Champion would be the one that shot to the top 10 in his/her go round, and then come out with enough score to be on top of the heap when shooting on the same day as the top shooters from the other go round/s.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1642

Post by Brent » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Kelley,
Actually, when I think about the situation in the context of voting and the general population of voters involved, it makes perfect sense suddenly.

You have to figure there are only a handful of shooters that can really expect to win in a shoulder to shoulder match. I for one, would not be one of them.

But where there is luck involved, just maybe I could win if I had a hot streak on say day one which put me in the lead followed by some really bad conditions on the following 3 days. Where luck is the only way one could win, one should vote (if voting selfishly) for maximizing the opportunity for lady luck to make her appearance. Hopefully in your favor. This is technically thought of as "risk prone" behavior in an evolutionary sense and it is a winning strategy against risk aversion when you have no hope of winning a fair match. Hadn't thought of it that way before but now it works out.

I'd love to shoot that match, but Georgia? I used to live there, and then spent years going back to work there. It's okay, but not my idea of a great place to spend a weekend. That is the George Leverton Memorial Match weekend to boot. But I need to get out west and chase some mice, so I hope I'm in the Rockies or Sky Island country.

Brent

JIMOFATL
PostsCOLON 79
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:44 pm
LocationCOLON Georgia

match 1 bpcr nationals

Post by JIMOFATL » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:57 pm

"I'd love to shoot that match, but Georgia? I used to live there, and then spent years going back to work there. It's okay, but not my idea of a great place to spend a weekend.........
Brent"

Brent,
You evidently did not spend much time in North GA.
This would be a great match to shoot shoulder to shoulder with some great shooters. We would welcome your participation and would like to see how your paper patch bullets perform with grease groove bullets. Also, we will have a Pig Picken on Saturday evening. A Shiloh 45-70 will be up for a drawing from all participants, plus other great prizes.

BTW, I was a Iowa farm boy when younger, so if you want to compare where to spend weekends (GA vs. IA), let me know...... :-) LOL

Jim Kidwell

BUTTON_POST_REPLY