old eyes, open sights, and groups

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Kurt
PostsCOLON 658
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: old eyes, open sights, and groups

Post by Kurt » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:38 am

spurdude the thing is not getting discouraged.

Lets start over and give a little more information on your loads. You mentioned different powder loads,
What is the powder your using?
What type of bullet and weight?
Are you casting the bullets? How hard?
Are you using a wad/wads?
How are you loading the case?
Are you crimping the bullet?

We will go from here.

Kurt
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:44 am

I am up to 2.5 magnifiers for readers so that gives an indication of where I'm at with short distances. With buckhorns of any kind I can't tell how much of the front blade is showing in the notch of the V. My groups suffer some but I can still shoot groups... just very much a strain and my eyes tire quickly.

With a rear aperture it is easier to find 'center' in the aperture regardless of the front sight style, blade or globe. Sometimes a blade goes fuzzy or even doubles though. Sometimes I'm helped by wearing just a #1 magnifier pair of reading glasses but I notice then that the further targets in BPCR or 22 matches make me shed those because the target is just too fuzzy even with just #1 magnifiers.

I was recently diagnosed with advanced glaucoma (only 8% of my right optical nerve survives and 24% for my left eye) so not sure which causes my issues, aging eyes or glaucoma.

So far I still have good focus on the pin point in the middle so no excuses for scores due to glaucoma but that near sight from aging is challenge enough. I shot my highest score in the last 22 match I went to. Good news for me since I just started shooting BPCR this year and was hoping to have a career longer than one season :-)

For what its worth I've been using a blade front and Aperture rear when hunting.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658

Post by Kurt » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 am

Yes that would be a problem. My Mother had glaucoma so I been watching it yearly. My problem is I have a heavy floater that will split the white dot on the gong targets in two especially when overcast and they seem to look like they are jumping all over the place. Last year I had another heavy floater in the same eye let loose at the Baker shoot and I had to leave to have it checked out. Now I even have a dark spot I see in bright daylight and looking through the apertures I need the largest opening in the Hadley I can get and that still is a problem more so then last year.
I been trying to get to shooting a scope for the last several years and it just don't work. I put it on and take it off, just cant hit squat with a scope.
If I could find a rear barrel sight that has a Michigan windage adjustment on it like what is on my trapdoor with a little better design I would be using it. I shoot better with the Lawrence barrel sights I have on my Shiloh then the apertures.
But I'm near sighted so it is a plus for me with barrel sights.
Kurt
Teddy Roosevelt.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Kurt, You said you are keeping an eye on it so imagine they are looking at your optical nerve to see if its cupping (the cupped part is essentially dead). Anyway, if not, be sure the optometrist is doing that. I've been to the optometrist a time or two over the last couple decades but it was a dark area I was fighting when shooting that took me there this summer. He had me on a machine I don't recall ever looking through that imaged the Optic Nerves. He didn't mince any words when he came back in the room.

Now I'm seeing the vision area begin to close-in on the right eye. I guess that's the tunnel vision they talk about. The peripheral test was interesting too. When I close my left eye there is that big dark spot that covers maybe a quarter of my field of vision. From what I'm understanding now, that dark spot is all the peripheral vision that has been lost. Used to think periphery just meant being able to see your fingers wiggle way out on the edges. Not so. It's everthing outside what you see in that front aperture - the immediate focus if you will. Really odd thing is that when both eyes are open the brain fills in the dark spot, I reckon with information from the left eye. Kinda fascinating really the way the brain helps you out. But so far I shoot with the left eye closed and have to take a little more time cause I fight that dark zone.

I have not tried scope yet. Not sure it would help anyway. And I've never been comfortable with them to boot. I'm hoping for several more years. I'm having so much fun with this newly discovered BPCR that I'd hate to see it end prematurely - and obviously no one wants to lose their sight, shooting or not. Drops have not had much impact on the pressure so far but they started me on another set of them now... three times a day. Be back for results in another 4-6 wks. Dang insurance part was $650 and copay was $150 for 7.5ml bottle. Can't ever do another push-up, sit-up or work out strenuously or do anything with my head below my heart - and have to sleep on a wedge to keep my head elevated. That's a pain. And I'll miss working out and trying to stay fit. We'll see next visit if the pressure is down. My understanding is that reducing the pressure may give me slower progression. Trouble is, I have the low-pressure kind that is hereditary. If pressure didn't cause it then I don't see how lowering it will slow it down much. Can't control what I can't control though so just following doctor's orders now and waiting on results.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658

Post by Kurt » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 pm

That's good to know SGT. I will ask at my next appointment. I know my Mother took drops and I could see her then her good eye the retina getting smaller as time passed.

Thank you......Kurt
Teddy Roosevelt.

spurdude
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 pm
LocationCOLON Bailey, Co.
CONTACTCOLON

Post by spurdude » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 pm

Sorry guys, My vision problems , shooting anyway, suddenly seem like no big deal compared to what you all are coping with. Funny how things work, I received my Pedersoli long range sight today and Kurt it looks to be very tight. It's bit longer than I expected, but I guess that's not a bad thing. Anyway looking through that small aperture my front sight seems very sharp and clear. I haven't had the chance to take it out in the light of day. we'll see.. thanks

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:33 am

Spur, Pedersoli barrels are minute-of-angle capable. Hope you get your loads and sights sorted. That rifle can shoot!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY