opinions on .22 low wall repros

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Art Fleming
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 pm

opinions on .22 low wall repros

Post by Art Fleming » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a .22 that is appropriate for BPCR style .22 silhouette shooting, and came across the low wall reproductions that Buffalo Arms is offering. These rifles seem much more "affordable" than some others, like the CPA or Ballard reproductions.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles, and if so, how do they stack up as far as quality and accuracy?

Thanks in advance!

Art

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Not Bad.

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:34 pm

I have a couple of friends that have them. One has one with the single trigger and one with the double set triggers. They are nice looking and seem to shoot well so far. Will be able to give a better report in a few months after more shooting.

idahjo
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:30 am

Post by idahjo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:54 pm

Bloody Expensive, I would say :?

dnovo
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:23 pm
LocationCOLON Chicago/SE Wisconsin

Post by dnovo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:09 pm

The least expensive of the 22 low wall repros would be the current 'Browning/Winchesters' The wood isn't anything to write home about, but they shoot quite well for the price. Dave

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:50 pm

Art,

I’ve got a Ballard made Low-Wall that has fast become one of my favorite rifles. I probably shoot it 10xs as much as any of my BPCRs.

I started with a .22 liner in my 74, but quickly got tired of inserting it and sighting in every time I wanted to practice. IMHO, a dedicated .22 is the way to go, you’ll enjoy it more.

I’d look at getting a new Browning/Win reproduction. IF it’s not up to par you could always have it re-barreled.

Chuck
"I do not think that word means what you think it means..."

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:07 pm

I will have to say that the Major Cheese Wizzzzz's Low-Ball-Wall is a nice single shot, actual one of the nicest I've seen. It brings tears to UpChucks eyes because I shoot it better then he does, he should just give that Low-Ball-Wall to me because it fit's me better and I'm a better shot with it.

Kelley O.

Pathfinder
PostsCOLON 70
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:29 pm
LocationCOLON FRUITA, COLO

Post by Pathfinder » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 am

Art,
Another possibility would to perhaps find an original rimfire in maybe a #1 roller or something of reg. BPCR size- reline it if needed. I was fortunate to find one last year & can shoot it @ 30' in the garage into a pellet gun trap with CCI .22 CB longs. It has a suprisingly good trigger for 125 yrs. old - good practice on those little 5/8" chickens! Good luck, ..Dennis
First in- last out...

Jubilado
PostsCOLON 105
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Post by Jubilado » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:48 pm

Here goes my first post on this resurrected forum. Between my son and me we have four of the USRA Winchester low-wall reproduction .22s. It's a long story how we ended up with four, but the short version has to do with - wood. Suffice it to say that two of the four have very nice wood indeed. As others have noted, they are nice rifles, but, and this is something not generally recognized, the barrels vary A LOT! Our four have all been bore scoped and/or slugged by Lee Shaver. The first one not only had pits, but slivers of steel in the pits. Best guess is that the rifling button was run through without cleaning out the chips. Shaver relined it, and it is a good shooter now. Second one is my son's. Uniform barrel but a bit bumpy. Shaver lapped it, and it is a tack driver. I would probably be accused of lying if I said just how accurate it is. Third one, seems like my son's, bore a bit bumpy but uniform. Lapped by Shaver. Haven't tested it much, but seems like a shooter. Has nice wood, and I will probably sell it before long. Fourth one has a bumpy barrel, maybe a loose spot, and a scratch in the bore. Never fired but, since it has the best wood of the four, it will probably get a new barrel and end up as my personal keeper. It's an open secret that the success of the Browning BPCRs is largely attributable to their use of Badger barrels. Too bad the USRA folks didn't go the same route with the low-wall little brothers in .22RF.

Paul

njmj
PostsCOLON 33
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:50 pm
LocationCOLON New Joyzee

Post by njmj » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:52 am

Interesting stuff, Paul
How much are these going for? Are they still available? NJMJ
Imagine all the possibilities

Silver51
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:25 pm
LocationCOLON South Dakota

Post by Silver51 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:45 pm

I picked one up last weekend and paid $525 for it. Good shape except for a couple of minor dents in stock and it is missing the original rear sight. It did come with a set of Browning bases and rings. The Blue Book of Gun Values lists prices from $300 @ 60% to $735 @100%. They also indicate that the gun was produced from 1999-2001 and only 2400 were made.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Article in Blackpowder Mag.

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:49 am

There is a nice sized article in the newest issue of Blackpowder Cartridge News on the 22 LR Silhouette match in Raton back in August. It talks alittle about rifle selection and ammunition selection. Take a look!

OODA
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 pm
LocationCOLON Orange Co, Kalifornia

Post by OODA » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:52 am

I'm sure that article will generate a lot of interest in the new sport. I've been drooling over a scaled down Sharps '74 from The Little Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company http://www.littlesharps.com/ in 22LR. Does anyone have any experience with these rifles and this manufacturer?

Smokin Guns John
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:49 am
LocationCOLON Indian Territories

Post by Smokin Guns John » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:11 am

Art -

Bought my Win low wall, NIB, in 2003. Match chamber and floating bbl. Found it on the web. $650 + ship/yellow = $725 or there abouts. Have Baldwin mid-range sights front and back. Even with the rear sight at absolute bottom of the ladder, it shot 8" high at 50yds. Had a 0.5" plug installed between bbl and front sight. Problem solved.

Federal stopped making my preferred ammo, Gold Medal Ultramatch UM1 a while back. So now I'm looking for a permanent replacement. Don't get me wrong, any quality ammo will do well in this rifle.

It is very reliable and easy to handle. It also generates its share of interest and chatter at shoots, too.
Last edited by 1 on Smokin Guns John, edited 0 times in total.
Smokin Guns John

mike morrison
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:09 pm

Post by mike morrison » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:07 pm

:D hello art,
i have a uberti low wall by taylor. have had it for about nine months. shot it in two bpcr 22 matches. and a lot a practice. installed parts unknown sights. took it to the quigley and shot the off hand at 349 yds before the match (just playing) hit the off hand target as much with it as i did the 45-70. not bragging just happy with the gun. lotsa folks want to look at it and many want to shoot it and are pleased. bottom line, you won't be disappointed if you buy one. go to their web site and give it look. a friend ordered one last week and told me the price was down $100. he got it for $713 out the door. i am pleased with mine. hope this helps.
mike

Idaho Sharps Shooter
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:59 pm
LocationCOLON SW Idaho

taylor lowall

Post by Idaho Sharps Shooter » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:56 am

Mike,

does your rifle have the pistol grip and DST's?

regards,

Rich
Idaho Sharps Shooter
NRA, SASS life
all things single shot, levergun, or SAA

BUTTON_POST_REPLY