Older Shiloh Sharps..reputation???

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
guninhand
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 pm
LocationCOLON Canada

Older Shiloh Sharps..reputation???

Post by guninhand » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 am

Hi folks. I have the chance to buy an older Framingdale Shiloh Sharps in 45-110. It looks in pretty good shape. The rear sight is supposed to be original but it has no maker markings visible. It looks to be a mid range type and the elevation adjuster is silky smooth. Front sight is a small globe on a post and doesn't take inserts. 34 inch barrel. How do these older guns stack up against new production? Is there any problem getting parts like firing pins or screws? The owner will probably let me try some shots if I ask. Hardest kicking gun I have now is a Ruger in 450/400 NE, and I love it, shooting linotype boolits. Recoil about the same? Anything else to look for? TIA
Extremes meet.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1665
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Older Shiloh Sharps..reputation???

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:36 pm

I have a Farmer much like yours. I like it a lot. Probably the second to last rifle I would sell. But then we have been around the block together many many times.

Generally, but not always, the barrel pretty much sucks. Most have a 0.6" freebore ahead of the case mouth that is over groove diameter. Also the twist rate may be slower than 1:18". That may be fine if you aren't going to shoot competitively. Might even be excellent in a hunting rifle - in which case you might be able to have the 34" barrel set back (there is usually a tulip at the breech however that may preclude this).

The firing pin. Much maligned and really not justified. I'm still shooting my original one. It broke once but a new tip was put in it and it keeps going 10s of thousands of rounds. The cure for this is sending to Shiloh and having a new block install with the modern 2-piece pin in it. That may or may not cost real money. Better call ahead.

Otherwise, these are nice rifles. They do have a very high half-cock that bothers some folks, but ymmv. I think they have much more elegant (can you say "elegant" around a Sharps?) forearm than the current production Shilohs.

Overall, it is very very hard to match current production Shilohs, but the Farmers are darn nice rifles. I won't be selling mine anytime soon.

If you buy the rifle and swap out for the new style of pin, I'll buy your old one.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 am

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:45 pm

When we were over there this year we visited Shiloh and Doc Miller got his block/firing pin/lever assembly changed over from the old farmingdale one. It was under $200 if I remember correctly.

Dave

guninhand
PostsCOLON 10
LocationCOLON Canada

Post by guninhand » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks Brent and Marlin. My main concern would be the 900 meter matches at Connaught range in Canada, where I use a 45-70 for now. Up here any good gunsmith is a long wait. That .6 freebore looks like an accuracy killer for sure. My friend who has had it a long time has never done any accuracy boasting about it, and to be sensible I'd have to sell other guns to pay for it. He may or may not agree to a cerrosafe chamber casting. 0.6 is a lot. I don't have a borescope, could you see it with the naked eye, or maybe use a wax wad just to confirm its presence?
Extremes meet.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1665
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Yes, you should be able to see this. It will be hard to see that it is 0.6" long but it will definitely look a lot different.

Don't forget to check the twist. For 900 yds, you definitely want at least an 18" twist.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

guninhand
PostsCOLON 10
LocationCOLON Canada

Post by guninhand » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks Brent.
Extremes meet.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY