Finally got it

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Marlin38
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 am

Finally got it

Post by Marlin38 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 am

I've finally got my new getz barrel fitted and chambered in 40-70SBN. Just have to go into work in the morning to put the finishing touches on the job (Front sight dovetail and forend dovetail) then its out to the range to fireform 50 cases. Getting exited

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 35

Re: Finally got it

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Well 50 cases are now fireformed. Accuracy wasnt brilliant but I wasn't really looking for that at the moment. What I was impressed with was firing 20 shots no cleaning/blow tubing and getting absolutly no lead in the bore at all. The 20 shots went into about a 3.5 inch group at 100m

Dave

Brent
PostsCOLON 1681
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:58 pm

It would be interesting to see what it could do with wiping or even blowing. I know you guys don't believe in those things, but heck, I think you are fighting with one hand behind your back when you shoot dirty barrels like that.

I assume you are planning on bringing it to Raton this year. I look forward to seeing it.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 35

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Brent it will make the trip this year if it performs. If not I'll just have my old wogchester 40-65.
I intend to test it cleaning/blowing/not cleaning etc to see if i can get the same results. Lots of testing to be done and if it all works then a new set of MVA sights and a new stock better suited to prone shooting.

Dave

Brent
PostsCOLON 1681

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Sounds like a plan. I hope it makes the trip!

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 35

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Gave it its first real test on the weekend. Shot 200m Benchrest on the ASSRA targets. Was using 70g Swiss 1.5F with a grease soaked felt wad. Had 8 shots in a reasonable group then 2 shots dropped, they felt different when I loaded them into the chamber. I must admit I have been trying different patching techniques and those 2 may of been badly patched. Overall I was happy with the gun,case and projectile. I wasnt happy with the less than adequate rear sight so I have ordered a new MVA for it. I will get the gun restocked with a stock more suited to silhouette and go from there.
I also had my 40/65 and shot a 10 shot 3" group with it in about 4minutes. No cleaning/blowing etc. Im really happy with how thats performing.

Dave

Brent
PostsCOLON 1681

Post by Brent » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Sounds like good progress being made. The MVA will help for sure.

This is my progress today.

Marlin38
PostsCOLON 35

Post by Marlin38 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 pm

nice work, will be good to see it finished.

Dave

BUTTON_POST_REPLY