recovered some paper patched bullets

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.

recovered some paper patched bullets

Postby gunlaker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:00 pm

A couple of weeks ago I've started playing with the BACO 500gr Creedmoor paper patched bullet. My rifle really likes the .444" BACO Money bullet but is inconsistent with the lighter Creedmoor bullet. I happened to recover a few bullets from the berm behind my target and I can see what is going on and why I get flyers.

I thought some of you might find these interesting.

You can see a little bit of gas cutting at the edge of one land on this bullet.

This bullet fared far worse. It was the only one with really bad gas cutting. About half of the circumference of bullet had deep cuts.

Most of the bullets looked like this, no gas cutting, but bigger fins than I expected.

The rifle and load details are:

1874 C. Sharps in .45-70 with Dan Theodore's paper patch chamber (.474" neck with 0.300" cylindrical section, 25 degree taper from case mouth into rifling).
Winchester Large Rifle Primer, over primer wad.
82gr Goex FFFg Express
0.030" Veg wad
0.060" LDPE wad
500gr BACO Creedmoor, .444", 20:1, wet patched with 8lb Seth Cole, seated 0.125" into case mouth.

I'm running out of FFg Express so decided to try some FFFg Express and it looks like I've run past the limit of my wad stack. This wad setup works very well with the heavier BACO Money bullet and 82gr FFg Express in this rifle. I think I'll back down to a case full of Fg and/or try some of the rubberized cellulose wad material I bought. This bullet might like a softer alloy too maybe.

EDIT: I should add that I've played with this bullet briefly a year or so ago with slightly better results using FFg Express.

Chris.
gunlaker

Re: recovered some paper patched bullets

Postby Brent » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:41 am

Chris, that is quite a lot of wad that you have already. I'm surprised you get cutting, and if that is what it is, then your patches should show signs of burn through. What do they look like?

Personally, I think the concerns over finning are much overblown, so I don't worry about that much, but gas cutting is bad news and your patches should signal that very obviously.
Brent

Postby Kurt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 am

Nothing wrong with your alloy and the wads you used. It's the wet dream PP throat you have in that chamber that is giving you the gas cuts.
Kurt

Postby Brent » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:38 am

:)
Brent

Postby gunlaker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am

Foolishly I didn't pick up any of the patches. Interestingly this rifle does really like the .444" 540gr BACO Money bullet. I just though I'd give this lighter bullet a try, and I wanted to see if I could make use of my case of FFFg Express in this rifle. Normally I shoot FFg Express or plain Goex Fg. I'll fiddle with it a little more.

Chris.
gunlaker

Postby montana_charlie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 am

gunlaker wrote:Interestingly this rifle does really like the .444" 540gr BACO Money bullet.

How do you define 'likes' in this case?
I.e. those bullets group well out of the rifle ... or ... no gas cutting on recovered bullets?

How does your case length compare with chamber depth?

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.
montana_charlie

Postby gunlaker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:17 pm

montana_charlie wrote:
gunlaker wrote:Interestingly this rifle does really like the .444" 540gr BACO Money bullet.

How do you define 'likes' in this case?
I.e. those bullets group well out of the rifle ... or ... no gas cutting on recovered bullets?

How does your case length compare with chamber depth?

CM

By likes I mean that it'll pretty consistently hold 1.25 moa or better for vertical at 200m. I haven't had this rifle out at longer ranges. I haven't dug out any of the money bullets.

The cases are well prepped. They are within a couple of thousands of the end of the chamber. The cases have been culled by rim thickness, neck thickness, and length. They were annealed before shooting.

Chris.
gunlaker

Postby Lumpy Grits » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Try a .060" veggie wad?
LG
"Having you along, is like losing two good men"
Lumpy Grits

Return to General Discussion of BPCR