Question on rear sights

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
NSB
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Question on rear sights

Post by NSB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:17 am

I'm new to shooting BPCR and I could use some advice from the "seasoned veterans" on here. I purchased a Pedersoli Creedmoor in used, but very good condition. It came with a Pedersoli USA 431 rear sight. I didn't get any paperwork with the gun and I am a little confused on the rear sight. I figured out that the windage can be adjusted in two ways: the eyepiece can be loosened and moved to adjust windage. Second, the base has a screw which is turned and moves the windage. The eyepiece can be tightened down once windage is moved to prevent the sight from moving inadvertantly. How do you lock down the base screw to prevent movement? I posed this question on another forum and got several useless replies (smart remarks, etc) but no help. Is this a feature of the sight that could cause a problem? Anyone have any suggestions on a better sight I should try? I plan on using this for hunting and informal target shooting. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to participate in any matches but I might. Seems to me that there should be a way to lock this in when you get the windage you want. Any good advice on this? (Serious advice please. I got all the idiot responses I need off of Cast Boolits).

shooter37
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Question on rear sights

Post by shooter37 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 am

NSB

I looked at the Pedersoli web page illustration of the sight and it lacks info. It appears that there is a locking screw on the back side of the staff, where the staff attaches to the base.

I would suggest you call or write Pedersoli and ask for a copy of their owners manual pages.
Most of the BPCR shooters do not much care for Pedersoli sights. They are, for the most part, not true vernier sights as are MVA, Kelley, Shaver, etc., and they lack "repeatability" of setting.
If you intend to get into competion with your rifle take a close look at these other sights. As for ridicule from other sites, yup, some folks
are lacking in the social graces.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:54 am

You don't lock down the base screw to keep it from moving. The screw head that stares you in the face when the sight is stood up should be able to be tightened to make the base windage adjustment tighter, but you really don't want that to be so tight you can't move it at all.
The "seasoned" veterans that answered your question on Cast Bullets are the same folks here.
That sight you bought isn't known as the cream of the crop when they're brand new, and one can't expect a great deal from one bought used.
Montana Vintage Arms sights are high quality sights, and as always you can expect to get what you pay for.

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:08 am

Some of the Pedersoli (and other brands) tang-sights have been known to become loose after the windage screw is run back and forth many times. Tightening any windage set-screw may not be handy if you are involved at a match, as wind conditions can change very often.

The better sights that have been mentioned here are built to very close tolerances and remain snug, for the use of a better word, and usually remain so for many years. Personally, I like the Kelley's. But then $$$$ becomes important also.

Jim

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am

NSB wroteCOLONAny good advice on this? (Serious advice please. I got all the idiot responses I need off of Cast Boolits).
Your first response (there) said no means is provided to lock the windage adjustment, which has been confirmed here.
Your second reply was an offer to send you a copy of the original Pedersoli paperwork.
The other two responses (there were only four) were indications of dislike for Pedersoli sights...by individuals who probably fit your definition of 'seasoned veterans'.

It would be interesting to know which dictionary you relied on to find your definition of 'idiot'.

I wonder it it's the same dictionary where shooter37 found his definition for 'true vernier sights'...

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

NSB
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Post by NSB » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members.

I'm sorry, I took this statement literally. It isn't posted on the other site but I thought it probably applied there also. Sorry Charlie.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:06 pm

NSB, the screw at the bottom of the USA 431 staff facing the shooter with the big slot and curled knob serves one purpose - it is major windage locking plate screw. The purpose is to take a quarter that one carries in their pocket and loosen the screw with the big slot. Then turn the knob on the right side of the sight to make a major wind adjustment: one line is 4 MOA @100yds. Then one tightens the big slot screw back (don't guerilla tighten it) to hold the windage bar at the setting one made.

The ocular (eyecup) is loosened to make minor windage adjustments using the curled knob on the right: one line is 2 MOA per line at 100yds. Then you tighten the ocular to hold the bar at the windage setting you made .... and also so the ocular doesn't fall off and you loose the locking plate on the back of the ocular.

Here's a deal for you ... I'm not at home now where my scanner is. Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll scan the USA431 instructions. In the meantime, you send me your email address in a PM. Then I'll reply to your email with the 431 instruction pages as attachments. You can then print them ... Okie Dookie?

BUTTON_POST_REPLY