malcom scope

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
4570win
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:52 am

malcom scope

Post by 4570win » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:13 pm

I am thinking of putting a malcom 18+6 scope on my 74 sharps,is there someone who has done this and can tell me how it has worked for them? Thanks Lorne

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1035
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Re: malcom scope

Post by TexasMac » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Check out my article at the following link. Bottom line is the scope is fine but the mounts that come with it are useless for competition. They do work fine if used on a hunting rifle.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Searching_for_ ... ution.html

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Buffalo Arms has a setup that is supposed to be good for competition.

SCHUETZENBOOMER
PostsCOLON 20
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am

Post by SCHUETZENBOOMER » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:27 am

I have a Malcolm(Leatherwood) on my Buffalo Classic. I'll second the mount being JUNK. I was frustrated to the max for a month of shooting before I realized it was the mount.
I reworked mine twice...you can read about it on Graybeard & Cast Boolits forums. I had the pleasure of spending an hour of quality time at the Perdersoli booth out at SHOT-Show. I had one of the new upgraded mounts in my hands and can tell you it is a gem compared to the original from Leatherwood. Couldn't get it out of him who is actually making the mount. Buffalo Arms sells the upgrade as well. I need to order one and just have not gotten around to it yet.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1035
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Here's a photo of the new Leatherwood rear mount followed by the DZ Arms mount next to an original Unertl mount. Although Leatherwood's design may be an improvement to their earlier designs, it is not "spring loaded" and therefore will have some backlash / hysterias in both the vertical and windage adjustments, plus, making adjustments is more complicated than with the Unertl-type mounts. Also keep in mind that the Unertl-style mounts have been around for a long time and are a proven design. Based on the photos and given a choice of complexity versus simplicity & accuracy, which would you pick?

Wayne

Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

gs
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:08 pm

Post by gs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:07 pm

I use both a 23" MVA and a 18" leatherwood scope on a variety of BPCR's including a 74 shiloh. I do use the DZ Arms mounts with the leatherwood scope and I find it much easier to use than the MVA. I like the centerless mil dot reticle in the MVA better than the leatherwood crosshair but; the leather wood has better lens coating than the MVA and is much brighter in side by side comparison. I will note that my MVA is one of the very first made and I have upgraded to the silhouette mounts for easier adjustment on the line so I have not used a current production MVA, they may have change lens manufacturers by now with improved coatings. The leatherwood scope with the DZ Arms mounts has worked fine on everything from a 35-30 to a 45-90. I would not hesitate to recommend either but for old eyes that need as much brightness as possible, the leatherwood is brighter. GS

4570win
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:52 am

Post by 4570win » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks you guys for all the info it's nice to get the answers this quick. Thanks Lorne

beltfed
PostsCOLON 275
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Post by beltfed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 am

What do you guys think about a Unertl Small Game and Gallery scope for BPCR scope shooting. They are a straight tube, about 16" long.
The one I have is a 6X just like the Leatherwood and Malcolms.

Am I to understand that the adjustment knobs would have to be "de-clicked" for use in NRA matches?

Would a 4X be adequate, at least for Silhouette distances, to 600yds?

(beltfed/arnie

beltfed
PostsCOLON 275
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Post by beltfed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 am

What do you guys think about a Unertl Small Game and Gallery scope for BPCR scope shooting. They are a straight tube, about 16" long.
The one I have is a 6X just like the Leatherwood and Malcolms.

Am I to understand that the adjustment knobs would have to be "de-clicked" for use in NRA matches?

Would a 4X be adequate, at least for Silhouette distances, to 600yds?

(beltfed/arnie

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:24 am

I used the 4x Unertly SG scope on my bpcr. I also use Dan Zimmerman's mounts for it as they are declicked and able to go a much longer distance anyway.

4x is certainly adequate. I don't see any advantage to 6x myself.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 126
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm

The unertl "small game" scope is a very sought after scope for BPCR and especially .22 BPCR shooting. Yes, the 4X is ok, but those here are preferring the 6X, so your scope is a great combination with the DZ unertl style mounts. Put it on your rifle and have some fun!

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1035
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Arnie,

I see no one responded to your question on de-clicking the rear mount. The answer is, NRA sanctioned matches DO NOT allow click-adjustable mounts. If you've read my article on scopes and mounts on my web site (http://www.texas-mac.com/Searching_for_ ... ution.html), you'll see there is an easy way to de-click a Unertl mount.

Wayne

BUTTON_POST_REPLY