Removing lead with mercury?

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Redleaf
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am

Removing lead with mercury?

Post by Redleaf » Wed May 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I've read that mercury was used to de-lead barrels but cant find anything specific about how it was done. Anyone ever done this or know exactly how it was done?

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Wed May 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Like many, I get it done with a tight patch and Kroil, so I don't have any experience with the mercury method. From the little I've heard about it, I have the impression it takes a lot of mercury...enough to fill the bore...but that's just a guess.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

DML
PostsCOLON 254
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm
LocationCOLON Aridzona

Post by DML » Wed May 06, 2009 7:44 pm

I tried it once a looooooong time ago on a heavily leaded .38 Special. It didn't work very well. Besides that, mercury seems to be a no-no these days. Worse then lead.
“It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything.”

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1035
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 am

Get a Foul Out electrochemical bore cleaner from Outers. It will safely clean every trace of lead out of your bore if you correctly follow the instructions.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu May 07, 2009 8:07 am

You plug one end of the barrel, pour in a small amount of mercury and then plug the other end. Then just shake it like a spray paint can for a minute. Then unplug one end and pour out the mercury.

And remember - You Can Die from Mercury fumes and absorption!

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Post by Plainbase » Sun May 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Apparently, this treatment goes back a ways. In 1892, A.C. Gould, in his book "Modern American Rifles" wrote: "If lead accumulates in the barrels, procure some quicksilver, and, after corking one end of barrel, pour the mercury in, and roll it back and forth. The lead will amalgamate with the quicksilver, and thus be largely or wholly removed."
Plainbase

powderburner
PostsCOLON 115
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:34 pm

Post by powderburner » Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 am

I tried it with an adjustable bullet mould just to see if it works , and while it took some of the ring off it didnt do as good of job as I thought it would , you could see the lead mix with the mercury as it got a different sheen to it but even scrubbing with a stick in the mercury it didnt clean it all off ,I even let it stand on the lead ring for a few hours. believe there are better and safer ways to remove the lead , and turpentine gets my vote..or kroil ...................Dean
Dean Becker
Myweigh scale merchant
lover of 74 sharps
NRA lifer

Redleaf
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 am

Post by Redleaf » Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 am

I recently tried it too, and my results were not worth a warm ball of spit. First attempt, I just plugged the chamber and poured in what I think was about three or four inches in the bore and tilted the rifle back and forth til my arm got tired,(about 4 or5 minutes) then let it sit for about 10 minutes. Nothing! Then I filled the bore with mercury and let it stand for about three hours. Got some gray streaks on the patch that time, but when I soaked it overnight with solvent and ran more patches through it, I got out streaks of lead. So, seems like de-leading a bore with mercury is just another old wives tale. Unless there's some technique involved that we dont know about.
When yall use turpentine, whats your method? Do you let it soak? How long?

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:14 am

Redleaf wroteCOLON When yall use turpentine, whats your method? Do you let it soak? How long?
Just wet the patch with turpentine and run it thru the bore on a jag. The lead that will come out on that patch will astonish you. Follow up with a few dry patches, and then hit it with the turpentine patch again , repeat until the gunk quits coming.

Yellowhouse
PostsCOLON 111
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am
LocationCOLON Oklahoma

Post by Yellowhouse » Fri May 29, 2009 11:09 am

I wonder if I were to give some people I know a dose of tuprtentine if it would get the lead out of their butts?

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Mix 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Plug the end of the barrel and stand the rifle up, pour in the mix till it fills the barrel. Let sit for 15 minutes, no longer, then remove the plug and watch the lead pour out. Pour hot water down the barrel to stop the chemical reaction. Clean as normal. Repeat as necessary. I have never left the mix in longer than 15 minutes as it was suggested it could have a bad effect on the barrel.
Oil the bore after cleaning while it's still warm, and that will re-treat the bore.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY