Help Id Sharps Harris McMillan

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
quillgordo
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Western Pennsylvania

Help Id Sharps Harris McMillan

Post by quillgordo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 pm

I went to an auction yesterday and came home with two- near new Sharps. One by Pedersolli, and the other is a beautiful 30" barrel, case hardend receiver, double trigger in 45/70. Left side has Harris McMillan , Phoenix, AZ and right has Antietam. It wears a C Sharps vernier tang sight and has a straight shotgun butt with black plastic butt plate.
Can anyone here tell me anything about it, it's accuracy potential, quality , where I might get an owners manual, and the appx value of it ? Thanks
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!

Harry Eales
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm
LocationCOLON North Durham. England

Re: Help Id Sharps Harris McMillan

Post by Harry Eales » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 am

quillgordo wroteCOLONI went to an auction yesterday and came home with two- near new Sharps. One by Pedersolli, and the other is a beautiful 30" barrel, case hardend receiver, double trigger in 45/70. Left side has Harris McMillan , Phoenix, AZ and right has Antietam. It wears a C Sharps vernier tang sight and has a straight shotgun butt with black plastic butt plate.
Can anyone here tell me anything about it, it's accuracy potential, quality , where I might get an owners manual, and the appx value of it ? Thanks
You could try going to the fountainhead :- HARRIS-MCMILLAN CO,INC. Address: 302 W.MELINDA LANE PHOENIX, AZ 85027 USA. Voice: 1-602-582-9627 If anyone knows about this Sharps copy they will.

There are several references on the www to this company and the Antietam model but each time I try to open them I get an error message. Stripping a Sharps isn't difficult.

Remember to bring the hammer to half cock before opening the breech, and do it every time you load/unload it.

As for accuracy, every rifle is a law unto itself and you'll have to work up a load that suits it. Only then will you find out it's potential.

Harry
Never kick a sleeping Lion in the balls, unless you have a foolproof way of dealing with his teeth.

Hiwall
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 pm
LocationCOLON Central California

Odd Named Sharps

Post by Hiwall » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:45 am

McMILLAN, G. & CO., INC.
Previous trademark established circa 1988, located in Phoenix, AZ.
G. McMillan & Co., Inc. had various barrel markings from 1988-1995 including G. McMillan, Harris - McMillan, and Harris Gunworks.

From the Blue Book of Gun Values.
tom patton

quillgordo
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Western Pennsylvania

Follow Up - Anyone own one or have info on this gun?

Post by quillgordo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:10 pm

I have called McMillen and was told to call Harris. I can't find a number that works for Harris.

so I am basically no further than when I started. I also can't find actual Sharps info on a G. McMillin barrel address.

My serial number is 11,xxx so there are at least 11,000 others out there. Thanks
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!

Harry Eales
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm
LocationCOLON North Durham. England

Post by Harry Eales » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Hello quillgordo,

I somehow doubt that there are 11,000 plus Harris/McMillan Sharps rifles out there, you would have had many replies if that was so. There is nothing in Law that says any numbering series of any model of firearm has to begin with 000001. It could well be that the serial numbering began with 11,000. Until you can run down the production figures it's nothing more than supposition as to how many were produced.

Don't give up just yet, someone out there will have far more knowledge than me. Research always takes time, sometimes it takes years, but then that's half the fun.

Regards,

Harry
Never kick a sleeping Lion in the balls, unless you have a foolproof way of dealing with his teeth.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY