Tracing an original Ballard

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1683
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Tracing an original Ballard

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 am

I have an original Ballard Paciific. It's a decent rifle and I'm going to take it elk hunting this fall. I would like to know a little more about the rifle however and I was wondering if there is anyone that can tell me when it was made and where it went when it was shipped from the factor to a dealer.

Can these rifles be "lettered" like some Winchesters and Sharps rifles?

Thanks,
Brent

sureshot
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:46 am
LocationCOLON WA

Post by sureshot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Brent,
I think the Marlin Firearms Collectors Association would be a good place to start. Lots of Ballard info there.

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/index.htm

Steve :D

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Great idea Steve. I took your advice and joined up.

Thanks,
Brent

beltfed
PostsCOLON 275
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Ballard for Elk?

Post by beltfed » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Brent, I appreciate and will look forward to your tale of exploits elk hunting with the Ballard Pacific.

I thought you were going to hunt with a 38-72W,?????

I have been giving thoughts to hunt deer here in WI in Nov, with my Orig Ballard #4 Perfection, cal 40-60 Everlasting. It is right now vying for the chance with my Marlin M1893 38-55.

beltfed/Arnie

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683

Post by Brent » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 am

Arnie, the .38=72 will tag along with me, but the Ballard decided to shoot pretty well once I gave up 3fg powder, so this is my chance to hunt with a totally original rifle. Besides it is grizzly bear central where we are headed and a little more lead will feel good, though I suppose it won't really much matter.

The .38 will get it's due though One way or the other.

Brent

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:40 am

Brent,

Could you post a picture of your Ballard. I would certainly be interested in seeing it. What caliber is it?

Regards

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683

Post by Brent » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:26 pm

It is a .45-70.

I uploaded a few pictures of it that I took this morning.

Here is one

Three more at at
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... llard1.JPG
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... llard3.JPG

My apologies for the horse. He thinks everything is about him and he likes to smile for the camera.

Brent
PS. The front sight has been temporarily replaced with a Lyman 17A, but the original post and bead are in my safe.
[/img]

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Hey, look at that, a horse with a nice smile & better looking then Brent :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Rifles not bad either.

Kelley O.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY