rimfire ammo

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

rimfire ammo

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:50 am

Okydoky lets hear from the 22 bpcr shooters.
What's your favorite ammo for this game and why?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1696
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 am

Eley Ultimate EPS Tenex - because it is demonstrably more accurate than anything else.

Brent

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Brent you ever shoot any of the Aquila match stuff? The guy that runs the local slobbershop, says that he sells alot of it to the more refined 22 match shooters from one of the local clubs.

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Post by Plainbase » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm

It has been my experience with .22 rimfire rifles that it is just like BPCR - you try 15 or 20 different "loads" and see which one your rifle prefers. Very often (fortunately!), it will not be the most expensive target one.
Plainbase

Brent
PostsCOLON 1696
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm

I have not shot Aquila myself. I know some guys that have and the results were not all that great.

Some of the old Federal stuff was really good but gone now.

Some of the Lapua stuff can be very good and was best in some of my other rifles, but the Eley rules by a long shot in my low wall/Lilja barrel. It ain't even a close call. Here is just one example of how it performs relative to Wolf - which seems to be about second best. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... age760.htm

Wolf Match is good enough for offhand at 50 ft and Match Extra good enough for offhand out to 200 yds, although I'm sure it costs me a few points now and again.

SKS is supposed to be the same as Wolf and my experience suggests that it does shoot the same.

Winchester target ammo, I forget what it is called - seems to be a bad joke on the consumer.

Never found any box of CCI worth serious consideration.

I would look at Federal again to see if their ammo has gotten back to what it was, and I need to try out some of the Lapua to see if it has improved recently as well.

RWS is another one that I have not tried that may be worth looking at.

Last summer at Raton, Al Sledge and I shot my .22 at the bpcr rimfire match on the last morning. Al took down all the prone animals, and I took down all but one turkey.

We then proceeded to suck rocks on the chickens, and I think half of that was bad sight settings to start with. Chickens were hard to call for misses as they are so close and the berm is so far behind the target. So, we both ended up with scores of 30/40. This with Eley EPS. I think it is good stuff, and I shoot it pretty well at 200 yds bench rest also. So, I think it is worth what it costs.

Brent

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:24 pm

Plainbase you may just be right on that one :lol: Lord knows we've all went thru gyrations looking for the perfect bpcr load.

Brent thanks for the answers. Ceph Jones tells me to find the slowest stuff you can get a hold of. He too said that the CCI greentag wasn't anygood and gave all he had away to the kids at Baker a couple of weeks ago.
I'm pretty leary on Federal ammo, I used to buy the stuff in the milk carton boxes for prairie dog control, but it got so junky and inaccurate and had alot of failure to fire.
Thanks for the fodder for ponder. :D

maca
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by maca » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:56 pm

Ranch 13,

Give some Federal Auto-Match a try.

Available at Wal-Mart for approx. $14 for a box of 325.

It really shines on rams as it has the velocity to take 'em down, even with a headwind.

It's not ammo that shoots groups tight enough to be competitive in Schuetzen but works well on steel critters.

Save the expensive .22 LR ammo for precision shooting.

-maca

longcaribiner
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 pm

22 rim fire

Post by longcaribiner » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 pm

I had a scholarship shooting 22 gallery stuff in college. The jerks at the athletic budget office cut our ammo budget to crap one year and we ended up buying the cheapest standard velocity scuz the coach could rustle up. Ever hear of a brand called Cannuck? odd droplets of yellow grease on the bullets, even to the point that the ammo would stick together.

I was using an old Remington Model 37. I had my best year and won the most, with that crap. Never saw the stuff since.

longcaribiner
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 pm

22 rim fire

Post by longcaribiner » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 pm

I had a scholarship shooting 22 gallery stuff in college. The jerks at the athletic budget office cut our ammo budget to crap one year and we ended up buying the cheapest standard velocity scuz the coach could rustle up. Ever hear of a brand called Cannuck? odd droplets of yellow grease on the bullets, even to the point that the ammo would stick together.

I was using an old Remington Model 37. I had my best year and won the most, with that crap. Never saw the stuff since.

TSK
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:33 pm

.22 ammo

Post by TSK » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Don-

I have tried many brands of .22 ammo for both our silhouette and Mini- Creedmoor shoots in my Stevens 44. Remington and Winchester are among the worst for consistency. Lapua is accurate but won't push over the further silhouettes most of the time, so useless to me. Federals are a box by box proposition, one will be good, another won't hit the broad side of a barn from inside. CCI Blazers, the old ones that are loose in the little square boxes, are by far and away the best for consistent performance. I have several bricks of these that I hoard for matches but when they are gone, that's it. The new Blazers, in the plastic trays, are not quite as good and there is an occasional duddy sounding one now and then. But they're way better than the best of the Federals. But, this is in my rifle, your's may well have a different appetite. You just have to try every brand and type you can to find what works.

Ted K

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Maca thanks for the input. Good to hear from you. :lol: Next time I get close to civilization I'll look for some of those Federals.

Ted I'm a thinkin that this is just going to have to involve a lot of shooting :)
I hope to get a selection of ammo gathered up here shortly and get down to the nitty gritty on paper and see what this rifle likes.
Knocking the rams off at 200 yds worries me some. I've taken numerous prairie dogs at that range with highpower hp's but just have to kill em and not knocke em over. :lol:

Wondering what that Aquila 60 bullet stuff shoots like?

Hiwall
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 pm
LocationCOLON Central California

The long loved 22s

Post by Hiwall » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Wondering what that Aquila 60 bullet stuff shoots like?

I have shot some of the Aquila 60 grain ammo. It's pretty good out to 50 yards. Beyond that you may run out of sight adjustment as it falls off due to lack of velocity. Good for Hunter Pistol Silhouette or back yard plinking.
tom patton

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:11 pm

:D Well sounds like don't need to worry about using the stuff for a ram load then. :lol:

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Proof is on the targets ... http://johno.myiglou.com/ammotest.htm
My money is on Eley Benchrest Gold

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I don't shoot .22 silhouette, so this is somewhat of an uneducated opinion.

I have a .22 liner for my rolling block. I've shot a lot of .22 with it the last 4 months. all at 100 yards. Federal .22 Auto Match is the most accurate in it, it is better than old Federal Match B.

I don't shoot statistically significant groups like Brent does. Just too lazy, not that I disagree. I believe he's right. This ammo shoots on the average, about 1.5 to 1.75 inch 5 shot groups off of cross sticks at 100. Smallest I have shot is about .55 inches, and never over about 3 inches unless I call a flyer that was me.

It won't shoot CCI green, Blazer, Remington bulk pack golden, Dynapoint, or CMP standard velocity as well. I've been too cheap to buy good ammo to try. Standard Federal bulk pack will do about 1/4 inch larger for most groups, but has an occasional flyer that falls an inch or two low out of the group. These flyers make a lower level report, so it's easy to tell when one will be low.

dave

BUTTON_POST_REPLY