Linotype ??

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
mygila
PostsCOLON 72
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:38 am
LocationCOLON Las Cruces, NM

Linotype ??

Post by mygila » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:29 pm

I've come into to a large quantity of linotype. Anyone shooting it and how? Do you alloy or just shoot it as is for & in BPCR rifles? TIA Mygila aka My Mangum
Without 2, the rest are useless. Do or not do, there is no try - Yoda

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Answered the same Q on Shiloh Rifle ...

Hiwall
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 pm
LocationCOLON Central California

Post by Hiwall » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Linotype makes good pistol bullets and some rifle bullets too. Not so good for BPCR but it currently selling for over one dollar a pound. Shippable to anywhere in the USA for about $9.00 a flat rate box. See USPS rate charts. The box can weigh up to 70 pounds but about 50 is a lot easier to handle.
Ebay is a good place to offer it for sale.
tom patton

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Gents ... a hint! Go to your local scrap yards and ask if they have lead. If they do, go to the shed and look for any barrels of lead that have linotype in them.

I scored 162 of lino for a friend of mine about a month ago for 60 cents a pound!
Plus 285#'s of sheet lead for myself, also at 60 cents/lb :lol:

Scota4570
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Post by Scota4570 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Lino makes good HP rifle bullets. I would use them for High power plinking or informal match loads. It is too hard for anything else, About BHN 26. Too bad since it makes gorgious bullets. They cast like a dream at a low temp, and look like jewels.

Don't get me wrong, super hard bullets will shoot out of any firearm. But, ideally, the bullet hardness should be matched to the pressures involved. This allows it to bump up and fill the bore better. Bullets that are too had will tend to have some blow by and that will cause leading.

Lino is tin rich. I would be tempted to alloy it with pure lead. The result will shoot better for most things. It will also extend the lino supply. I am pretty sure letter press printing has become obsolete. Lino is going to become very rare. Conserve what you have.

zampilot
PostsCOLON 76
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 am
LocationCOLON Minnesota

Post by zampilot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:06 am

Has anyone tried mixing Linotype with lead? What ratio?
Thanks.
Fall is my favorite time of year!

zampilot
PostsCOLON 76
LocationCOLON Minnesota

Post by zampilot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:06 am

Has anyone tried mixing Linotype with lead? What ratio?
Thanks.
Fall is my favorite time of year!

Smokin Joe
PostsCOLON 31
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:05 pm

Post by Smokin Joe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:35 pm

zampilot
PostsCOLON 76
LocationCOLON Minnesota

Post by zampilot » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 am

Great info Smokin', great!