OLR is a Crappy Shot

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 am
LocationCOLON Massachusetts

Post by OLReliable » Thu May 08, 2008 9:58 am

gussy wroteCOLONI did a pressure test on the barrel to make sure it was OK. Put it in a tank and plugged the breach, used a filler plug on the muzzle. Got it to 200psi and only had a couple places bubble and they were near the muzzle, right under the front sight. Probably because it's thinner there in the dovetail cut or I think it might be the original version of a muzzle break!! Gus
I think y're onto something !! (or maybe on something ... but that's for another time) Now, you seem to be a smart cookie. I'll bet you could braize a piece of brake line to one or two of those gas ports; and, if the Discussion Group at the Restwel can figure out how to attatch a drum or belt feed device to the receiver, we'll have the first gas operated, fully automatic Trapdoor. I just wonder if Al Lee would allow an eight-round burst to count for score in the Trapdoor Class.

Nicely done !! This is more in line with what I'm looking for.
.... but what do I know ....

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 pm
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Thu May 08, 2008 10:40 am

if the Discussion Group at the Restwel can figure out how to attatch a drum or belt feed device to the receiver, we'll have the first gas operated, fully automatic Trapdoor. I just wonder if Al Lee would allow an eight-round burst to count for score in the Trapdoor Class.

Nicely done !! This is more in line with what I'm looking for.[/quote]

Good thought. Since the blade of the front sight is bent at about a 45 degree angle to the left, we can put the brake line on the right and not mess up the sight picture. I already have the cordless drill setup, we'll just use hose clamps to hold it in place. If Paul Harvey is wrong about the JB weld, the ejection problem will solve itself. Might need a deflector however. Could put a hole in the deflector and use it as a sight too??
Gus

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Thu May 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Now, Gary,

If you can confess to considering shooting the same rifle two years in a row, I can confess that I'm being drawn toward the One True Way.

I've been starting to grind on entirely different metal. Here's the old:

In with the new:

Speaking of hats, what do you think of the new? Might it help facilitate a graceful transition to the One True Way?

Will you all ever speak to me again?

dave

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Fri May 09, 2008 2:54 am

Dave,
I'm not so concerned with the new hat, it's that dreamy, glazed-over, vacant look in your eyes that is troubling. You almost look like a Government employee, or someone from South Dakota. BTW - is that a picture of you lying on the floor again? You really need to stop that, accept The One True Way, and go back to shooting a roller like a normal person. C'MON !!

We're all here for you.

OLR ... OUT !!

'Ol Gabe
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:30 am

Post by 'Ol Gabe » Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 am

ssdave,
Nice wood! It will be an eye-turner when done!
Just curious, but how did you manage to get images from the Shroud of Turin to blend into the wall panelling?
You really have got to love good wood grain, everyone sees something new in it every time they look; maybe it is just a Mt. Man in a Beaver hat or a French Count with a thin moustache...
Please post pics when finished, those of us with two left thumbs need something to dream about!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Fri May 09, 2008 8:41 am

Dave, that bondo and pine combination is a nice touch. Will you put a grain pattern in the bondo or leave it like that?

Any chance you could bring your bondo tools to the Q. The trapdoor stock could use a touch up or two. Since the soaking, it started to dry again and has pulled away from the barrel a little over an inch. I may have to clamp it down and put the haywire wraps back on. I don't think I can do as nice a job as the originals. To bad I had to cut them to get the action out.

Maybe the Restwel Discussion Group could help. 6 people turning the rifle and 2 holding on to the wire. If I can't get it looking good it won't fit the criteria.
Gus

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123

Post by ssdave » Fri May 09, 2008 8:18 pm

Gabe,

Thanks for the kind words, but with my skill level you'll have to wait to see the final product before you get too excited. I start out with something like the top rifle, and end up with the pine and bondo thing that Gussy so admires.

Gary, I thought I looked particularly alert and bright in that photo. You ought to see me when I stumble home from work. I'll have you know that's not the floor, that's a board I had put up in the kitchen. More on that below.

Gussy, I can easily bring the bondo tools. That consists of a 2 inch putty knife and a stick to scrape the waste off the knife before it dries. Like I said, it's an artform that is particularly well suited to my skills. I'm thinking of trying some shoe polish on the stock I posted here, and maybe on Henry's rifle also. He's getting a bit sensitive to the comments on the color. I didn't think about a grain pattern, maybe I could smear on some black with my fingers in wavy lines and then follow up with brown, and then buff it off with a chamois for the final finish?

I recently found a neat alternative to both baling wire and cloth duct tape. This again is a serendipitous discovery that has a bit to do with my craftsmanship and skill level.

Mama has been insisting for some time that we ought to buy a shack and move out of the pickup camper. Something about the three kids, and there would be absolutely no chance of having more, even by accident, if we kept having to live and sleep in there even one more winter. Anyway, I collected a few pallets and some scrap wood, and with a few evenings help after work from friends, put together a home for us. Some of the toughest work was trying to get a heating system in that didn't require an open firepit. I bought a furnace and a bunch of tin, but there's a bit more to being a tinner than meets the eye. Luckily, there's a tinners friend at the hardware store, too. It's solid aluminum duct tape. It will bridge amazing gaps, and looks like real metal when you're done. It might just be the ticket for your trapdoor. If you wrapped the barrel with it too, you could claim it was nickel finished.

Anyway, once the shack was finished, mama was real interested in getting a refrigerator. I was lucky enough to stumble into one at the local gravel pit when were were testing loads, and gave it a proud place next to the washpan stand. But, once you give a woman a house, she seems to get mighty particular. She wanted something to cover up some of the bullet holes in the side of the fridge, and she wouldn't accept the caulking and tinners friend I tried to get away with. I asked a friend who's handy with carpentry to make up a screening partition. I specifically remember asking him for the best particle board he could get, but instead, he made it out of something he had lying around in the barn. Somewhere in the process, he put some paint on it, and slugs or worms crawled around in the paint and left smears. I hadn't noticed the resemblance to the Shroud of Turin before, but if I point it out to mama, maybe it will get me out of a repainting job. Maybe we can just put a little table in front of it with one of those neat silk screened glass votive canddles and a couple of vases of plastic flowers. Kind of give me a little devotional place to meditate as I consider a transition to the One True Way.

dave

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Sat May 10, 2008 6:27 am

Or just for variety and a conversation topic you could use my do-all, go-to stain of diesel fuel and roofing tar, and finish that off with a bunch of hand rubbed coats of linseed oil. Nice construction work on the stocks; your house sounds nice, too. :D

Regards

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Sun May 11, 2008 3:35 pm

I rub my stocks with BBQ sauce to give them that French Red look.
I live in a mobil home.

OLR ... OUT !!

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123

Post by ssdave » Sun May 11, 2008 8:31 pm

OLR,

Now that we've thoroughly hijacked your thread, the real question is whether we've helped you any. Have you gotten to be a better shot, or have your rifles gotten worse?

dave

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Sun May 11, 2008 9:39 pm

ssdave wroteCOLONOLR,

Now that we've thoroughly hijacked your thread, the real question is whether we've helped you any. Have you gotten to be a better shot, or have your rifles gotten worse?

dave
I forgot what the topic is ... was.
Oh yes ..... no, that's not it.
Never mind.

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Tue May 13, 2008 9:52 am

Dave, the new digs sound good. Does that mean more kids??

OLR, I'm still trying to upgrade the trapdoor. I went on "home chemists"R"us". They had a plating sytem using a rod and a 200 Amp DC welder. I may give plating it a try. The acid used seems a bit strong.

Do you know of any way to reprime a case with it still in the chamber?? Since the bore was to big I've been putting the bullet in from the muzzle. The problem is that the case is very hard to get out to prime and put the powder and card in it. It has been really flowing into the chamber ring. Oh yeah, I may have forgotten to mention that. On the first load I think a wad of rust got behind the bullet and left an air space.

I finally quit testing it when the string broke. I think it got caught on the tire holding the trapdoor. I think it's ready for someone to actually fire it for a group. Mostly I've just been shooting it at a 5 gal pail. I have had good luck as long as I keep it within 20 feet.
Gus

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Tue May 13, 2008 10:19 am

gussy wroteCOLONDo you know of any way to reprime a case with it still in the chamber??Gus
gussy,

Try dribbling a few grains of 4Fg into the empty primer pocket then light it with a match. I have no doubt that it will go bang, and guarantee that you'll be dribbling everafter.

You're welcome.

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Tue May 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Try dribbling a few grains of 4Fg into the empty primer pocket then light it with a match. I have no doubt that it will go bang, and guarantee that you'll be dribbling everafter.

You're welcome.[/quote]

Good grief man, that sounds hazardous!!! :shock: :shock:

If that trapdoor slammed down on my finger while lighting the powder it could really hurt!
Gus

BUTTON_POST_REPLY