OLR is a Crappy Shot

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 am
LocationCOLON Massachusetts

OLR is a Crappy Shot

Post by OLReliable » Wed May 07, 2008 12:37 pm

The great part about my being a crappy shot is that I am full of optimism and know that matters can only get better. For the same reason, I love stormy days because I know that sooner or later the skies will clear, and the sun will shine again. But, when the sun shines again, things can only get worse. At least, I have that to look forward to.

One dilemma I face is that I shoot rifles which are not crappy: Shilohs, C.SAharps, Lone Stars and Ballards. It's very unsettling, actually, and I need to resolve this before The Quigley Shoot. So, can anyone suggest a rifle that looks good but shoots crappy too? And, it would take very little time to "come up to speed." I'd be very interested in having one, and feeling one with my rifle again. Price is no object ( it'd be part of the subject, actually).
.... but what do I know ....

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 pm
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Wed May 07, 2008 1:41 pm

well....... :roll: :roll:

On my second outting with my new Winchester Creedmoor it put 10 shots into a 1 1/2" high by 2" wide hole. Measured outside to outside @ 100 yds as that was the only target I had up at the time.

It is one of the new ones, 34" Badger barrel, 45-90 and came with sights. Just like the Browning of the 90's but says Winchester on it.

Would that qualify?? :shock: I'll be shooting it at the "Q". You're welcome to give it a try. :wink:
Gus

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Wed May 07, 2008 2:31 pm

gussy,

ZIKES !!

No, that's way off. My rifle can do that too, just not when I am shooting it.

I need someting like an Egyptian roller with a 48-twist Numrich M/L barrel chambered for 32 WCF that's never been cleaned.

BTW - Were you able to get a room at The Restwel this year?

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Wed May 07, 2008 3:06 pm

OLReliable wroteCOLONgussy,

ZIKES !!

No, that's way off. My rifle can do that too, just not when I am shooting it.

I need someting like an Egyptian roller with a 48-twist Numrich M/L barrel chambered for 32 WCF that's never been cleaned.

BTW - Were you able to get a room at The Restwel this year?
I just got a trapdoor this week that might work. I named it "old rusTy".
The guy said it came off a barn wall but he didn't say it was on the outside. I think I'll have to cut the haywire holding the action in the stock. I really hate to as all 3 wrapped areas are really nicely done. The wrist too.

When I asked about the bore he said it was hard to see as it was pretty dark. It was that. The mud daubbers must have filled the last 4-5"s. I may have to drill that out.

The trigger needs a new pivot pin. When I pulled the trigger it fell out in my hand. must have been poor steel. The trapdoor is rusted closed. At least I think it is. I used the smallest pipe wrench I had on the lever and it too was weak steel.

I made a trough out of 2X8's and filled it with kerosene to soak the action. Made one for the wood too. Maybe a good soak in linseed oil and solvent will swell up some the cracks.

Well the soaking helped. The hammer was frozen at half cock and the firing pin wouldn't move and as I said, the trigger fell out. But as I'll get to later, this really wasn't all that bad a thing to have happen.

The crud was deeper than expected. Had to drill out the whole barrel. Didn't even fill up up a 2 lb coffee can so it really wasn't that much. I had to put it the vise to hold it. I did pad the jaws but it kept slipping. After repeated tightnings, I got it to hold good and finished the job. After digging what I could with a screw driver, I welded a piece of 3/8" rod to a 3/8" drill bit. Now this may seem a bit under sized for a .45 but I didn't get it real straight. It didn't touch the metal all that much as it wobbled down.

Kind of scared me when bright metal started coming out. Thought I might be digging the barrel. Turned out to just be lead. At first I thought poor cleaning. But, I started getting a lot of lead. Then powder...... OOPS. Poured water down the barrel and let it sit. As I said, having the hammer, trigger, and firing pin frozen wasn't really a bad thing. After taking it out of the vise I rotated it 90 degrees and squished it back round. Well I got it pretty close anyways.

Broke a pin punch driving the breech pin out. Finally got it out and after a few hard taps to break the rust, got the breach open and out. Then I took a long rod and drove the old case out.

Since the barrel was still pretty crudded up, I tied a garden hose in the breach and chucked a cleaning rod with a wire brush in the cordless. Took less than 10 min of brushing and the water ran clear. Wrapped some 80 grit emery around the rod and polished the bore a bit. Got it fairly shinny. Thought there was some rifling there but it turned out to be a scratch from a knot on the drill weld that rubbed the side of the bore.

Soaking did help the stock, and as a side benefit, I think it got the termites too. The barrel bands will stay in place with a little duct tape under them. I trimmed the excess with a knife and it looks OK.

I did get the hammer working. Put a new pin in the trigger. Half a dozen or so taps back and forth with a hamer and some Kroil got the firing pin moving too.

I'm going to shoot it in military cast bullet matches, but I can see where I'm going to be hard pressed to get 10 shots off in the alotted time. Shoot, open the breach, drive the case out with the ram rod, drive a new case in with plastic hammer, close and lock the breach and repeat. I think I may have to look for a new breach handle. The vise grips slow me down. I don't think I can just leave them on as they throw the balance off with them hanging there. I did speed up one thing though. I found a neat little socket for my cordless drill. This did greatly speed up removing those 3 hose clamps holding the breach closed.

You want to be the first to shoot it? I think it'll be a shooter just rebuilt and all.

Yes, I will be at the Restwel. I have heard rumors of late night noise, parties in the parking lot and so........ If that isn't true, say so now and I'll look for someplace else to stay. :wink:

Gus
Last edited by 1 on gussy, edited 0 times in total.

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm

I almost forgot. Since I haven't shot it the sights still need adjusting. If you want to shoot it, I'll bring a torch and small pry bar. The rear sight (a buffington no less!!) is still a little tight. May have to heat it a bit to adjust it. If I get it all the way to red it should bend easily and not break. I would hate to damage a collectable like this. :roll:
Gus

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Wed May 07, 2008 3:39 pm

... maaan, its a shame y' had to go ahead and ruin a perfectly good rifle like that. And with the bore and chamber being a little rusted tight an' all, I bet we could'a just chambered some 38/40's in that baby and shot a few pigeons off the roof of some guest cars in the motel parking lot. Too bad.

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 pm

OLReliable wroteCOLON... maaan, its a shame y' had to go ahead and ruin a perfectly good rifle like that. And with the bore and chamber being a little rusted tight an' all, I bet we could'a just chambered some 38/40's in that baby and shot a few pigeons off the roof of some guest cars in the motel parking lot. Too bad.
The bores pretty smooth. I slipped a ramrod down the bore and could still feel the ridge between the chamber and barrel. Funny thing though, it got smaller at the chamber. Think that'll hurt accuracy any? Maybe some 45-70 shot cartridges would work on them birds. :o
Gus

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Wed May 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Gary,

Since you're searching for something without the class of the rifles you shoot now, and without the accuracy, you could easily benefit from my approach: Go Homemade.

As you know, I shoot what I make. If you don't look real close, the factory mill finish is good enough for a barrel. Time, and incidental rust, even out the color. A frind of mine that collects antiques calls that kind of finish "patina", and from what I have gathered from talking with him, it's a very desirable kind of finish, and hard to achieve. It's kind of like bluing, just takes more time and is a different color.

Actions come to me as yard sale finds or auction bargains. I think other people must have better monitors than I do or poorer imaginations, because when I find one cheap enough I can afford it, the picture always leaves enough to the imagination that I can just see it being unpitted and no grind marks, and I am sure that I'll be pleasantly surprised to find it has evidence of being fininished at some time in it's life. Unfortunately, I have yet to be surprised when it actually arrives. On the good side, they usually have a head start on patina unless I slip with the grinder when I'm working on the stock wood.

Another good point about homemade: wood can be very easily put into the form of a stock with a chainsaw, a chisel, some apprentice level Bondo work, a rasp, and a makita grinder. I read an article ( I think it was in Dunlaps gunsmithing book) once that taught me almost all I know about inletting. He advocated using a set of miniature chisels. I used what I had, which wasn't quite miniature, but had a serendipidous discovery that there's something that the hardware store sells called "plastic wood". It's the inletters friend. Goes fairly well with the bondo, if you add a small amount of pink food color as you mix it.

A side benefit of Homemade is the concentration you can get on shooting at events. I've yet to be surrounded by admiring groupies at any event that I've participated, so I have a lot of time to concentrate on the targets and my sight settings. That's got to be good for a point or two each match.

See you at the Q! I'll bring you a barrel.

Want to borrow a rifle? I can start grinding this evening. I think I learned a bit from gussy also, in his post.

dave

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Wed May 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Dave,

You bet !! ... plastic wood must have Divine origins, since it will fix-up any busted gun stock so that y' can't even tell it's broke, especially after y' give it two or three coats of paint.

Thing is though, I'd just as soon have the rifle lookin' good if it is to have one redeaming value to me, for as a confirmed Crappy Shot, I won't be able to hit anything with it any way this side of throwin' it.

BTW - you can have "classy" and "crappy" at the same time. If you don't believe me, just think of your Quigley hat with the quarty-inch brim that you found in a feelthy hundred-year-old bed roll. Crappy - YUP, but classy? .... yes indeed.

OLR ... OUT !!

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Crappy Rifle?

Post by RMulhern » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm

OLR

No need to invest your money in trying to find a crappy rifle that just looks good! Just chuck up one of those ya got in a good vise and using a 4# hammer.....give it about 4 good whacks on the muzzle and you'll have what ya need!! :lol: :lol:

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Post by OLReliable » Wed May 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Rick

Well thank goodness !!
Finally, someone is making sense !!
Thanks, Bud.

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Wed May 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Now wait a minute!!! :evil: :evil:

Are you saying my trapdoor dosen't look good?? :shock: Nice patina, to use SSdaves term, and a silvered stock. Nice combination but who knows, it might turn out to be a first class shooter and that would not fit your needs.

I may be partial to it since it's silvered on top like me and has a few wrinkles like me. :wink:
Gus

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Cowboy

Post by crossfireoops » Wed May 07, 2008 10:35 pm

..........For you Cowboy Action / Lever Action Match Types,.....

we offer this almost pristine iron., in NRA 10 % condition.....

this fine arm is less than 7 years old,...and has been .....?

GTC

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226

Re: Cowboy

Post by OLReliable » Thu May 08, 2008 4:06 am

crossfireoops wroteCOLONwe offer this almost pristine iron., in NRA 10 % condition.....

this fine arm is less than 7 years old,...and has been .....?

GTC
Looks like a shooter !!! ... too bad it was ruined by drilling and tapping for a receiver sight.

BTW - did gussy brown that one for you?

OLR ... OUT !!

gussy
PostsCOLON 200
LocationCOLON NW
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gussy » Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 am

Just to meet your needs I worked on the trapdoor again last night.

I took my 6" sears belt sander with a nice 100 grit belt and got that spotted rust removed. Used some left over browning from a ML project and now it has a nice patina look. Got some Wood Dough from the lumber yard, thinned it a little and troweled it over the stock. Filled the cracks nicely. Sanded it and stained it with Minwax walnut stain. A couple of coats of Brownell stock spray and it looks really good considering what I started with.

I did a pressure test on the barrel to make sure it was OK. Put in in a tank and plugged the breach, used a filler plug on the muzzle. Got it to 200psi and only had a couple places bubble and they were near the muzzle, right under the front sight. Probably because it's thinner there in the dovetail cut or I think it might be the original version of a muzzle break!!

While I was at the lumber yard I picked up some JB weld (Paul Harvey's says it'll fix anything). I used it to put the breach toggle lever back on. I think I'll keep the vise grips handy just in case though.

I did run into another minor problem. I still can't move that fancy Buffington sight. I think I'll just bring a torch and a small pry bar to the range. I don't think it'll break if I get it good and red before we bend it. Might take a few trys to get it sighted.

It looks good now and with the oversized bore should hit near the target. I figured we could dip a case in powder, put a card wad on it to keep the powder in and the load the bullet from the muzzle. It think if we wrap the bullet in 3 of those 2-1/2" T shirt cleaning patches it should make it a snug fit.
Gus

BUTTON_POST_REPLY