45-90 barrel length?

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:11 pm

Ranch 13 wroteCOLON
Ron Long told me for a production gun he thought those Uberti's were alright, just needed a little better barrels.
Pedersoli will soon market a Hiwall reproduction...in 45/70, 45/90, and 38-55 (long).
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 am

Post by Gomez » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:52 pm

If Pedersoli does a highwall it will probably be nice. I don't like their sights but their barrels seem to shoot well. Interestingly, the Uberti and Pedersoli barrels "slug" very similarly as to land/groove width and groove depth.

My Uberti 45/70 highwall has a #3, 32" barrel and it shoots great. BUT - notice the big but - I'm 6'5" and a large lad. The curved buttstock of the Uberti leaves me with two black & blue places on my shoulder each time I shoot it. So, I've got new fancy wood in here from Treebone to restock it this winter with a shotgun butt. Mine's a pistol grip so I'll copy one of the fancier Winchester checkering patterns from John Campbell's excellent book and cut it in 22 lpi. I just got in a set of Kelly mid-range rear and Kelly bubble-in-globe front - color case almost matches the Uberti on the action, very tasty - and I'll try to see if Cimarron can get me a Uberti "spur" style lever to change out with my plain one. The Treebone Win. copy steel checkered butt plate I'll rust brown. So without a barrel change or any big mechanicals or welding, I may have a very choice little highwall for the spring.

Where there's a will,

Rob Dorsey
http://OldGringo.us

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Gomez wroteCOLONInterestingly, the Uberti and Pedersoli barrels "slug" very similarly as to land/groove width and groove depth.
The bore is straight, but the groove diameter tapers in the Pedersoli. You would need to slug both ends separately to detect that.
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:32 pm

Ranch13
If you go to Limbsaver.com
they are shown in the online catalog. Or, you can contact Marcie Rhoton at marcie@limbsaver.com to order one. Mention my name (Jim Milner) and you "might" get a price break.
I will e-mail you a picture of the shirt and if you like you can post it. I cannot post pictures at present.
Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks Jim
I'll go take a look.
you could send that pic to d c mc dow ell at wyoming dot com. Close the gaps, and use the proper punctuations.
I'll get it posted up here or a different thread if you like.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:57 pm

Here's a pic of the shirt from limbsaver that Jim was speaking of.
Looks like it might be a pretty good outfit.
[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... nd_b-L.jpg[/img][/img]

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260

Post by Jim Milner » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Hey, That was pretty good...you managed to crop me right out of the picture. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must have gone to the catalog for the photo.
Thanks,
Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:30 am

Here we go finally got everybody coordinated. :D [img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... irt004.jpg[/img][/img]

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:11 pm

DAMN...where is the edit feature? the first picture was good enough
Jim :oops: :lol: :lol:
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:15 am

Ranch,

I'll get ya a pic. of the Uberti rebarreled with a Badger 1x18 barrel. I just have to refigure how to post it, it's been so long since I did one :oops: . H*ll bein' old, ya know.
Old age ... it ain't for sissies!

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Uberti rifle pic

Post by Kodiak » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Here 'tis,

I got a Uberti Carbine 45/70 in a trade. It has a more shotgun style butt than the "rifle" version. No curved steel butt-plate on it. Had to do a little inlettin' on the existing forend. Rebarreled it with a badger barrel in 45/90 with Baldwin front sight and PU tang-sight. Trigger can be worked-on to about 2# if ya wish. It works really good, for the $.
Old age ... it ain't for sissies!

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Jim that's a nice looking rifle. Might be you'ld wanna post that at John K's place. Bunch of the folks there would like to see it also.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY