45-90 barrel length?

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

45-90 barrel length?

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:59 am

Thinking pretty hard on one of the Winchester BPCR/Creedmore highwalls. Looks like the options are th 34 inch barrel or 30 inch.

:? :?: Which length would be the better, and why?

13Echo
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:00 pm
LocationCOLON Monroe, Louisiana

Post by 13Echo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:31 pm

The answer is "It depends".. Is this a woods or prairie hunting rifle, Creedmoor, or long range target rifle, Silhouette rifle, or for some other purpose? If a hunting rifle in woods the shorter barrel will be quicker handling and, probably balance better. If Creedmoor or long range BPCR target rifle then the longer sight radius might be useful, as long as you make the 15lb target rifle rule. If Silhouette then it must make 12lbs 2oz weight with sights and it should balance well enough for offhand chicken shooting which likely means 32" or less depending on barrel syle and weight. If you are shooting buffalo from a stand on the great plains, perhaps a longer, heavier barrel. So, it depends, take your pick.

Jerry Liles

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:07 pm

32", becauce I like that length :wink:

Kelley O.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Barrel short / long

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:52 pm

I'd build a real Highwall :P :D

GTC 8)

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:42 pm

:D Kelley I was thinking the 34 and a pipe cutter and tape measure and wallah a 31.5 inch :o
GTC that's a thought get a real one that says pedretti or sumpinon it.

What I'm trying to decide is if the 30 inch tube would burn enough of the powder, and if the 34 would be about 2 inches further than the lube would last.?

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:22 pm

Ranch13,

I may be getting closer on a High-Wall action for you, under $1000.00

Kelley O.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Long tube

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Ranch,

I LIKE long barrels......and have had great cold weather performance with blow tubes, and equal HOT weather results with wiping between each shot.

......'nother way to look at this, ....at same price, ....why not take the extra 4" of barrel? :?:

You can always keep re-cutting crowns 'til you find one that works....

Sight radius advantage with irons rules here......The "Velocity Advantage" with longer barrels is a bit over-rated, ....unless I'm missing some fine point. I LOVE short , stout heavy barrels for scope application, and haven't seen any velocity loss, in a game that calls out "More Powder".......K.O.'s lightest charge for best accuracy theorum is well worth a look at.

GTC 8)

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Wow kelley keep me posted on that highwall.

Greg if a box shows up on your step from the UPs guy, you can probably guess its got a 43 gyptian roller in it that need rebbarreled ) and stocked.

The 45-90 thing sort of has me curiuos. I've been messing with a few 90 cases and thinking of the possibilities. Mostly wondering if 70 grs cartridge or 2f with a .060 polywad would shoot as good as I think it might?

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 am

Post by Gomez » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:29 am

Ranch,

This season I shot my "Win." Highwall BPCR with 34" heavy Badger barrel (#5 at least) in 45/90. Here's some impressions:

If I thought I could crown the barrel well myself, I'd whack off the last 2". The gun is extremely barrel heavy and chickens are a real trial. I've got about 3 seconds from bringing the barrel up until it starts waving around. For this reason I'll be shooting an Uberti 45/70 with a 32" #3 barrel in March. It's a much easier and steadier to shoot. Damn all chickens anyway!!

I rather like the 45/90 cartridge. It allows 70gr of 1.5f and a .60 wad to be lightly compressed (.10") and still seat a 532gr bullet to cover the top grease groove. Not really trying to start a discussion on whether that's at all important or freebore or anything like that but the 45/90 is very flexible allowing it to be loaded up - 90gr with a good drop and . 30" compression - or down to 45/70 ballistics. With the 45/70 I feel stuck to about 67gr with the same bullet and requiring more drop and compression.

One man's opinions, I could be wrong,
Rob Dorsey
http://OldGringo.us

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:09 am

Rob thanks alot for your report. You sort of confirmed my suspictions about that rifle. It'ld be fine so long as you never had to shoot it without crosssticks. :D
Trying to get someone to order in one of the 30 inch versions so's I can look at it. Sure would hate to pay up order it in and then find out it sucks. :shock:

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 am

R-13

If you can hold off for a while I have rifles in 30", 32", 34" round, half round, and octagon you can try out, one is in .45-90 with a 32 HVY round.
I have to make a trip back to Big Timber, should be soon, I can swing down your way on the way home.
I like the 32" HVY round my self. I don't think you would have problem with a 34 unless you lost your shoulder.
I like the three 30" hvy half round I have as far as off hand shooting is concerned, they have a better balance.

Kurt

Kurt

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:54 pm
LocationCOLON out west, well, of London anyways

Post by buffshooter » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Ranch

Get the impression you might be leaning towards a Uberti HiWall. In my opinion you could plenty worse. The moneys right and the quality, fit and finish (for the money) can't be faulted. In the standard guise ie: sporting type barrel weight, it might be a tad light in 45-90.

The curved butt fits a shoulder good if that shoulder be none too big, if you take my meaning. But I forgot to put on my Past sissy pad one time, shooting prone, and let fly with some compressed loads in my 45-70 and a I knew about it next day. A shotgun butt design may be better.

I do however find the HiWall easy in the hand and shoulder, it just kinda fits better than a Sharps, but then I'm a little fella and that may be part of it, I'm guessing from your avatar over on the Handloads forum you be 6ft plus so maybe it ain't an issue. :lol:

There's just something about those Uberti 1885s that feels right, can't quite put a finger on it. I'd be happy to get one 45-90.

That said if I had the time and money I'd be seriously thinking about Badgerizing my Uberti, just so I could trust in the barrel. :shock: Otherwise I'm real happy with the trigger pull and have had some encouraging results at the target end of things. I've put black. Pyrodex, 777, and 4198 through it and all show good accuracy.

Mines a 30 inch barrel BTW and as I said elsewhere, don't see no need for the extra 2 or 4 inches and agree with what Kurt said about balance and the shorter barrel, 34 seems too much barrel on a HiWall for standing shooting.

Go for it :D

All the best

Chris
Iffen it ain't broke, don't fix it

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 pm

I have a C sharps 75 with 34" tube, and a Hiwall with 30" tube, also 3 three others with 30" tubes.
I have not had fouling issues with the longer barrel, BUT I have had issues of getting "on target" for more than just passing by with the 34"
I have had a couple of the Uberti HiWalls and the curved butt was a problem until I started using the Limbsaver shooting shirt. It has an internal pocket over each shoulder, and a pad (1/4" thick) that works better than my Past pad. The shirt looks good too.
Jim
Last edited by 1 on Jim Milner, edited 0 times in total.
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm

Kurt you go to Big Timber you best stop in one way or the other rifles or no!!!! :D
Ps. If nuttin else we can take the 223's out and make a winters attack on the prairie dogys. :lol:

Chris thanks for the input. No actually I'm looking at the Winchester marked 1885's available thru Davidsons . dubbadubbyadot gallery of guns dot com. I've seen a couple of those Uberti's in action and they're not bad, and the one Timberlake rebarreled does right fine.
Kodiak says he had one rebuilt and was going to bring it out antelope hunting, but life got in the way and he didn't get to come out. :?
Ron Long told me for a production gun he thought those Uberti's were alright,just needed a little better barrels.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:51 pm

Jim I had not seen the Limbsavers shirt. Who's carrying them?
I do like very much what those limbsaver recoil pads can do for concussion prevention tho. :D

BUTTON_POST_REPLY