rimfire

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
sdharley
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm
LocationCOLON south dakota

rimfire

Post by sdharley » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi!
I have been thinking of doing some .22 sihloete shooting and was wondering if someone could give advice on the brands of rifles and sights being used. I have rimfire pistol targets. are they the same size as being used for the rifles?

shooter37
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:51 am

Post by shooter37 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:27 pm

On this website Dave Crossnoe posted his version of the 22 RF BPCR style match, rules, and targets try scrolling down on the home page.

Rifles used range from inserts (Crossnoe and Shaver) in CF rifles to
Ballards Lo and Hi walls in RF, a few Hepburns, and some new made Winchester lo walls.

Several clubs in Tx and Ok shoot regular matches using these (listed) rules............ It is a hoot.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 126
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Shooter has it right!

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:25 pm

It is to be fun type shoot. Set-up to give you more time behind the trigger with shooting the same rules as big brother BPCR. We have been able to get more families envolved with shooting. Great way to get young people started plus many wives have starting shooting. Plus alot of ranges can't handle the 500 meters of BPCR, but most can go out to 200 meters or yards and hold this type of match. It still amazes me how accurate they can be.

runnin lead
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:05 am
LocationCOLON NW CO

Post by runnin lead » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:00 pm

turkeys & rams are the samesize as 75 & 100yd hand gun targets but are at 150 & 200 yds, the chickens at 50 yards are about the size of a quarter w/ a head ,tail & leg added on & the pigs at 100 yds are also smaller than the hand gun targets
it's fun ,the chickens are tough
KG0BW Jim

sdharley
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:05 pm
LocationCOLON south dakota

Post by sdharley » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 am

thanks for the info. I might try mounting a tang sight on a stevens crackshot for a low cost starter. Would a long barrel on a TC contender be in keeping with the rules?

shooter37
PostsCOLON 78

Post by shooter37 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:17 am

Rules used in most Texas and Okla. clubs would not allow a contender. The Alvarado Tx. club allows Martini rifles so they may OK a TC.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 am

Post by Gomez » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:36 am

My wife is my spotter in BPCR Silhouette and has really taken to this stuff. She's a good shotgun shot - whoops my butt in clays sometimes and she's not a bad shot in the field - but she's new to rifles. We've got an original Winder low wall musket in like new condition (a non-govt made in 1918) to which I've added an MVA tang-mounted sight base. While the MVA stuff is quite expensive for what it is - well over a hunnert bucks delivered for just a base - it allows me to move one of my MVA mid-range verniers to the little musket pretty easy. I put on a spirit level globe front I bought on eBay - much more cheaper - and the combo makes the Winder quite the tack driver. I'm hoping she will shoot the little silhouettes at Friendship next spring.

Question: Are the rules the same as BPCR? What I mean is, chickens offhand, all others sitting or prone?

Thanks,
Rob Dorsey
http://OldGringo.us

shooter37
PostsCOLON 78

Post by shooter37 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Rob
The rules are the same. Chix are offhand at 50 yds.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 pm

Gotta do it! The idea of being able to shoot, both in practice and match, without the hours at the loading bench - now don't nobody get riled, I love to load - will be fun. It also has the potential of gentle, low recoil fun. Robin will love it.

But I would miss the smoke and the church bell "clang".

Best,
Gomez, AKA Rob Dorsey

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Bye the Bye, the silhouettes being so small and so "close" , how do I figger sight settings?? Do we now deal with 1/2 MOA? Or 1/4? EEEK.

My old eyes will need my 3X fly tieing glasses.

Best, and Damn All Chickens,

RD
hppt://OldGringo.us

40-65tom
PostsCOLON 30
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:58 am

Post by 40-65tom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:19 pm

No need to worry, If you think a minute about MOA. The animals look the same and the movements of the sight are about the same also. The biggest benefit I have found is trigger control. The no recoil .22 tells all, if the front sight moves off the animal when you break the trigger it is a miss. The wind is a lot of fun to deal with, but again looks just like the normal ranges. Here in New Mexico the wind is always a factor.

Tom

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:36 pm

And here in KY as well. My guess is that the little 22 bullet is sore affected by wind. It's just fast enough to get into the trans-sonic range where wind has it's greatest affect. Does anyone shoot the CB Sub Sonics??? They go out at 1,000 fpm or so.

Best and Damn All Chickens,

RD

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Post by g.pennell » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am

Gomez,

I'm not for sure which format that the Friendship bunch is using now, but the .22 match I shot there about a year or so ago was the regular NRA smallbore format...ie. all targets offhand, rams were at 100m if I remember correctly. Still fun, but not as much fun as the BPCR version (which they do play at Effingham, IL if you get a chance to get over that way).

Since you're in Florence, you should round up some folks and come over to Ashland and shoot with us on the 4th weekend of the month, March to October. We have a full-distance, NRA regulation silhouette range and a good bunch of folks there to shoot with.

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi Greg,

Actually I'm a member over there but did not get over to shoot this season. I joined with the usual good intentions but...

Hope to see you in the spring,
Rob Dorsey

Visit at: http://OldGringo.us

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Post by crossfireoops » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Gomez wroteCOLONAnd here in KY as well. My guess is that the little 22 bullet is sore affected by wind. It's just fast enough to get into the trans-sonic range where wind has it's greatest affect. Does anyone shoot the CB Sub Sonics??? They go out at 1,000 fpm or so.

Best and Damn All Chickens,

RD
Gomez, we are astounded as to how well a .22 bullet carves wind at 200 M, at our monthly "Buffalo league" match....and Standard Vel. and Sub-sonic will typically wax the Hi-Vel stuff's butt at longer ranges.

"Typically" used with the proviso that there are absolutely no hard and fast rules to long range Rimfire, and some old Flea Market dog of a thing, shooting Wally-World bulk pack will ocassionally walk off with first place. :roll:

Really nice to sweep up one's brass, and throw it in the range bucket, after a match.....and wonderful family sport, to boot.

Best regards,

GTC 8)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY