Phhhhht, kaBOOOM!

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1038
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Ok guys,

After reading all your youthful escapades I just had to share a few. Growing up on a farm in Central Texas provided many opportunities for mischief.

I believe I was around 12 or 13 at the time (around 1959) and had recently graduated from a Benjamin pump pellet rifle to a used Rem. 511 single-shot .22. Striving for more velocity and a bigger bang I tried a little experiment. I pulled the bullet from a 22 short and chambered the case to use as the primer. Having mischievously acquired a couple of my Grandfather’s Win. 270 deer ammo, I managed to pull the bullet from one and poured the powder down the barrel, and then drove the .22 bullet down till it wouldn’t go any further. When I touched that sucker off all I saw was stars. After picking myself up and checking for any damage, fortunately there was none, I inspected the Rem. The stock was cracked from the trigger guard all the way to the butt stock. But, surprisingly, the barrel and bolt did not seem to be damaged. Glued the stock back together and used the Rem. for several more years shooting squirrels and other mischief.

Made a large caliber pipe gun with a couple short pieces of ½” galvanized pipe and a 90 degree fitting and end cap. Drilled a hole in the fitting. We would fill the handle up to the fitting with some old black powder a buddy of mine had somehow obtained. Dropped in some marbles, ball bearing, or round rocks, and used a firecracker fuse to set it off. Good thing I never tried the 270 powder in that contraption.

Used to make mud balls from the mud around tanks (ponds to you Non-Texans) and have exploding mud ball fights by stuffing a large firecracker in the ball, lighting the fuse and quickly throwing it at the enemy.

Several of us would walk though the mesquite covered “woods” in a line with slingshots (called them something else in those days – unprintable here). The trick was to spot the yellow jacket nests ahead of you and hit it before the other guys ahead spotted it. Talk about kids scattering.

Had lots of BB gun fights. The rule was we never aimed above the waist. Thinking back I’m amazed none of us ever lost an eye, finger or anything else.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:54 pm
LocationCOLON out west, well, of London anyways

Post by buffshooter » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Longcaribiner

You set me to thinking about bows and arrows with your post. Yeah I used to make 'em all the time before the old man would let me have an airgun. Got pretty good at it too, too good in fact. I recall making probably one of my last bows which was from green willow with a proper made string. I would have been about ten or maybe eleven years old and my mom came out to the street and yelled me to come inside for dinner. Well I was having a good time showing off my latest bow and I guess I was mad at her for calling me in so I strung the bow up and let loose an arrow at the house! Must've been a good 300 yards and I figured the arrow would drop short. It didn't and the arrow glanced off the roof and dissapeared into the neighbour's yard. Mom put her hands on her hips, glared and stomped into the house. Did'nt speak to me for three days. I was real sorry for that one, not because she was mad but because I realised I could've hit her with that arrow. She never said a word about it, to me or Dad. Moms know when their children are really sorry and my face would have said it all.

Texas Mac

I had a catapault, which is what I guess you call a slingshot. We never aimed above the waist either in our youthful battles but one time I caught one of the "enemy" a beaut right in the kneecap with a glass marble. He howled so loud his Dad heard him a good quarter mile away! Shoot, did we ever run! Only targets I ever aimed at after that with my catapault was squirrels and glass bottles! Lesson learnt. I saw the guy once many, many years later and I swear he was walking with a slight limp but never found out if I was responsible for it. :oops:
Iffen it ain't broke, don't fix it

Boz330
PostsCOLON 33
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 am
LocationCOLON Central KY

Post by Boz330 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Arnie wroteCOLONbuffshooter ,yeah your right we all do crazy things ,i was reading all the different post and i bet i have done half of what i read.Arnie
He!! I've done all of them. Stuck a homemade bomb in a sewer discharge pipe when I was 13 and ignited some sewer gas that lifted every sewer lid for 2 miles. The old man grounded me for the rest of summer vacation after he wore out the seat of my pants out.
Did the match head thing as well. Was stuffing them in a 12ga empty when it went off in my hand. Didn't explode but it did burn my hand pretty good. Use to make my own gun powder too, but it never was that good till I found out about mixing it with water and drying it and regrinding it.
Then there was the time that I got tired of cleaning log jams out of the creek that runs through my farm with a chainsaw. Went down to the quarry and bought a case of dynamite. After playing with it a bit I was getting pretty good at estimating how much to use for specific results. One day the creek jams the bridge up with logs and branches. So I go out and rig everything and back off a ways with the battery. My wife asks if we are far enough away and I tell her we are just fine. At the detonation this somewhat big log goes sailing way over our heads and lands about 25ft from the house. When she gives me THE LOOK, I say "see if we had been farther back that would have hit us". To say that she didn't see the humor is an understatement. Can't get dynamite that easy anymore. It is handy sometimes though.

Bob

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Boz330,

Had an Uncle that used to clear log jams with dynamite behind his house in Idaho, Tresle Creek, Well Ole Floyd dam near wiped out a whole species of Trout, DollyVarden trout. Tresle Creek was were those trout spawned. Ole Floyd managed to burn his house down too :lol: :lol: To this day no one knows if he burned his place down for the insurance money :shock: or was it an accident :? At this point in time it doesn't matter as Ole Floyd has been dead for years. By the way, I know these things because Uncle floyd almost raised me, learned some interesting things from the man. Floyd had a temperment kind of like Gunny & almost a big.

Kelley O.

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Kelley O.,

Speaking of Gunny, do you ever hear anything from or about him anymore? I kinda remember he was having some health problems, and I think he sold a couple of his rifles. I miss his "see Spot run" common sense approach to a lot of things. Never missed a chance to call a spade a spade and not an agricultural instrument either.

Regards

BUTTON_POST_REPLY