Phhhhht, kaBOOOM!

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
'Ol Gabe
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:30 am

Phhhhht, kaBOOOM!

Post by 'Ol Gabe » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:34 pm

Just saw this on a news service and thought you all might find it interesting. The report says "...bottle of black powder...", suppose they were referring to Pyrodex if it came from Wal-Mart.
Best regards and good reading!
'Ol Gabe

Teen's Cigarette Sets Off Stolen Powder
Email this Story

Jul 11, 5:09 PM (ET)

BAYOU BLACK, La. (AP) - Stolen gunpowder went up with a bang when a teenager flicked cigarette ash near the open bottle, according to the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office.

Alex Joshua Horn and Johnathan Anthony Porche, both 19 and from Bayou Black, remained in jail Wednesday on charges of shoplifting and possessing or making a bomb. Both were arrested Sunday evening.

Wal-Mart workers had called the sheriff's office that evening, saying three teenagers had been asking about gunpowder and PVC pipe.

About 8 p.m. Sunday, deputies were called to a house in Bayou Black, where they found damage from an explosion in the kitchen and dining room. They also found Horn, a resident of the house, and Porche, who lives a block away.

The youths told investigators that the bottle of black powder - a specific form of gunpowder - had been shoplifted from Wal-Mart, and Porche's cigarette had touched it off.

Both youths were treated for minor burns before they were booked. More arrests are possible, investigators said.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:54 pm
LocationCOLON out west, well, of London anyways

Post by buffshooter » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:50 pm

I've seen tests done wif Pyrodex and it tends to go pssst! rather than boom, more like that white stuff some shooters use. I think you can find videos with stupids playing with Pyrodex on uTube and it just fizzles when layed out on the deck and ignited. Perhaps when in a container the story is a bit different .....
Iffen it ain't broke, don't fix it

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Just had a look on uTube myself and there sure are some stoopid people out there! How no one has blown 'em selves up is a mystery. And Pyrodex sure does go boom .... when contained. I think it's best left to shooters who know what they are doing, certainly NOT for setting off little packets in the street! I understand model rocket makers use it too. Also I heard that Pyrodex is modified black powder, wonder how true that is?

longcaribiner
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 pm

psssst.

Post by longcaribiner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Most of us have done something really stupid at one time or another. As a teenager, I got hold of 4 oz of powdered magnesium. I spread it across the street in a long thin line and lit one end with a road flare. That darn stuff burns bright enough to light the entire town and slow enough that it was still buring across the street when the cops showed up four or five minutes into it. The dumb fool parked across the street with the front tire right on the unburnt line. While he was reading us the riot act, cuffing etc. the magnesium burned right up to the front tire, and melted a hole in it. Both we teenagers and the cop were the talk of the town for months. (Small town) I had to mow grass in the park for months to "pay" for that.

My idiot co-conspirator tried to make a rocket engine out of shaved match heads and a bic pen barrel. It exploded on the pinic table and the metal tip went through the big kitchen window as his mother was washing dishes. Busted glass all over his mom, the kitchen counter and in the dishwater. He also tried to make a cross bow that shot pencils. It worked. Except when playing with it, he put a No 2 right through the dry wall between his room and his parents' room. Last I heard, he got arrested for something about a potato gun.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Longcaribiner

Yeah I know it! As teenagers we used to make model battle ships, the plastic kind, and around November the 5th (our Guy Fawkes night) we use to gather all our firecrackers and dump the powder out into these ships, send em up river with a fuse burning and wait for the bang. A friend also made a little brass cannon in metal shop in school. When he set that off with firecracker powder and a ball bearing, it blew a hole right through a metal roll up door. Luckily there was no one on the other side! Guess we all been stoopid at least once! :) Can you imagine the hue and cry if we pulled these stunts today, well over here anyway? We'd have the armed response teams all over us! :cry:

DML
PostsCOLON 254
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm
LocationCOLON Aridzona

Post by DML » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Ahhh. Those were the good old days. I am still amazed that I have all my fingers. Some of my buddys didn't. :roll:

I was about 14 when I got the bright idea to pack an empty CO2 cartridge with strike anywhere match heads. Not the whole head, just the tips. I drilled out the seal and packed them in with a dowel. I had some 1/4" safety fuse which I stuck in the opening and shoved it down a gopher hole. KABOOM! It blew a crater about 3 feet in diameter and 3 feet deep. I still think about what would have happened if it went off in my hand while packing those match heads. :shock: I didn't do that again.

Several years later, I got ahold of some flash powder. Fun stuff. I mixed it half and half with some FF and put it in one of those small aluminum 35mm film cans. I stuck 3 feet of fuse in it and stuck it down another gopher hole. (poor gophers) DOUBLE KABOOM! It shot a geyser of dirt about 25 feet in the air and left a crater at least 6 feet across. I don't know how deep it was. I couldn't feel the bottom with a 4 foot stick. I didn't do that again either.

Then there was the time I burned all the hair off my right arm and lost my right eyebrow. :D Never mind, that's a long story.

Hank
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 am
LocationCOLON Maine

Post by Hank » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 am

I guess the stuff I did was tame compared to you guys. I recall taking a Campbells soup can and punching a small hole in the closed end and sticking a firecracker fuse out through and touchin' it off. The can would go 40 feet high or better. Scared hell out of the horses. Then, on the days I'd fake sick, with Mom and Dad gone to work, I remember sittin' in my room with a handful of 22 long rifle shells and pulling the lead out with my teeth. Then I'd put in a paper wad and melt candle wax into the mouth and let it build up so it was shaped like a real bullet. I'd shoot wasps off the barn with my J C Higgins single shot. Dad's 89, and it was only last year that I told him the little holes up through the barn's tin roof were made by me shooting starlings off the hay rail with 22 shorts; from inside the barn.

How's it go? Idle minds are the play ground of the devil? 'Twas fun though...
I'm gonna reload this 44 Henry rimfire if it's the last thing I do.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Hank

Sounds like you had some good innocent fun :) It seems like what was innocent in yonder days for some is seen in a different light these days. I liked the shooting wasps bit, I used to shoot the spiders sunning themselves on my parent's garden fence with an antique BSA air rifle. Seems cruel to me now but then, that's how opinion changes.

Longcaribiner

Heck, that story made me chuckle. I could picture the red faced cop explaining his holed tire to the duty sargent :lol: Sounds like you put some real big holes in the terra firma in your youthful explosives career!!

Thanks for sharing guys!

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:06 am

DML

What have you got against gophers :lol: I guess those handy holes were just begging for an explosive charge :lol: :lol: Good old days :)

Ahhh go on, tell us about the hair on yer arm!

Arnie
PostsCOLON 323
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Boy i sure hope your kids and grandkids dont read this stuff :roll: ..Arnie

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Arnie

You're right, we oughta have known better and worse still not relate it afterwards :oops:

You know, if we all behaved sensibly and did like our respective governments suggest, ie: don't do anything 'cos it's dangerous, heck, life wouldn't be worth spit. Shooting's dangerous, you know ........

Arnie
PostsCOLON 323
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:10 pm

buffshooter ,yeah your right we all do crazy things ,i was reading all the different post and i bet i have done half of what i read.Arnie

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:23 am

Arnie

As I've gotten older things that seemed fun when I was younger now seem totally irresponsible and annoying now. Isn't that a shame really? I see a kid kicking a ball against a house wall and I think damn kids, hasn't he got anything better to do? Of course he hasn't ... he's a kid! As my wife often says, if they are'nt taking drugs or mugging someone, how bad can they be? Innocence doesn't last very long ..... may as well enjoy it while you can. I don't have grandkids yet, but when and if I do, I'm going to enjoy seeing their innocent years, and probably mourn my own even more.

longcaribiner
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 pm

dangerous stuff

Post by longcaribiner » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:04 am

How many of us used a piece of green wood and a string and made a bow? 95% of today's kids wouldn't have a clue. We made pea shooters from old TV antena tubing. I can't rmember the last time I saw those great little perfectly round dried peas for sale in the store.

However, let me tell you about my "city boy moves to the country" ground hog eradication project. When I bought my farm, the neglected fields were full of ground hog burrows. I tried filling them, tried dumping gas bombs, tried dumping household ammonia, etc, it didn't work. An old timer told me to use drain oil and gasoline, 50/50 and then light it. So I found a likely burrow, closed the one side hole, by filling it with dirt and gravel and using a hose and funnel dumped nearly a half gallon of the gas/drain oil mixture down the hole. Then I rolled a piece of newspaper, for a torch, to reach out and light the stuff. Well I crouched down and reached out with that extended newsprint torch, to ignite the gas in the hole. And ignite it did, with a sudden rushing wooosh all the gravel and dirt I had shoveled into the other hole came flying out in a firey cloud, all over my backside and up under my jacket into my hair etc. I was covered with dust and grit and looked like one of the stooges after an explosion. The flames burned for a half hour, and that groundhog never "re-built" his home.

I am a bit more careful since that occurrence.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273

Post by buffshooter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:22 pm

longcarabiner

Sounds more like excavation work to me! :lol: Did ya end working in demolition :shock:

BUTTON_POST_REPLY