I forgot how much of a PITA this sport is!

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
maca
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by maca » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Coydog Alpha26,

re: "Jerry “Bite Me”"

"I do not think that word means what you think it means..." but in your case I know EXACTLY what you mean. In reply, I'll offer the following:

'Refined gentleman don't converse in that manner.'

SPG,

The insert pales in comparison to the letter, tho, don't you think ? The 'wordsmithing' in that tome deserves a Pulitzer Prize, in my opinion. As an alternative, Mrs. SPG's chili (like last year) would be my recommendation.

If we let Fagras ANYWHERE near food, he'd better be wearing Latex gloves ! !

-maca

MLR
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Okla, U.S.A.

Post by MLR » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 pm

BARBECUED BEAVER RECIPE

Tomato Barbecue Sauce

1-32 oz. bottle ketchup
32 oz. cider vinegar
1 lb dark brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground red pepper (heaping)

Mix and simmer 5 minutes

Traditional Vinegar Sauce

1 gal cider vinegar
10 oz. texas pete
1-32 oz. bottle ketchup
1 1/2 oz. crushed red pepper
16 oz. honey
1 1/2 cups salt

Mix and simmer

Remove as much fat as possible from one small or medium beaver. Place beaver in a foil lined roasting pan and bake, covered at 350 degrees F. for 1 1/4 hours, starting with the back down and then turning over after half an hour. Add water if beaver seems to be drying out. Cover with sauce, inside and out and cook uncovered for about half an hour. Add sauce every ten minutes. Tomato sauce will burn easily.

I personally have never trapped beaver for their toes? Is there a market for them?

Michael

Oregon Bill
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am
LocationCOLON Alamogordo, NM

Post by Oregon Bill » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:11 pm

Those Conibears may be a bitch to set, but when they suitcase old Mr. Bucktooth, he ain't goin' nowheres but the fleshing board.

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:29 am

Beaver sausage,

Remove the serious chunks of meat and grind up 2:1 with pork or beef trim. Don't use the castors.

1# sausage: 1 lb. burger, 1tsp basil, 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp. ground black pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp. ground anise. Mix well and put in frig overnight. Fry in patties the next morning--outstanding.

MB750 traps from Minnesota Trapline Supply are real serious beaver traps for sets that require a steel trap. Ya won't need to try to sell toes with this one.

Regards

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Guys,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on trapping. I freely admit that I know very little to nothing about it.

It looks like for the time being the beaver insurgency has been defeated on my pond. All indicators are they’ve once again retreated to their sanctuary to the south. My soutern neighbor refuses to take direct action and favors letting other neighbors fight the insurgency for him (much like France). In an attempt to “finish this once and for all” I gained permission and pursued them on their own ground. Unfortunately Friday afternoon I succumbed to a beaver ITD (Improvised Tripping Device) meaning I fell in one of their $%%# holes setting a trap and banged up my knee pretty good. It was a cool setup too with two #3s daisy chained together on a 12ft drowning slide ending in 25 lbs of cast iron weights. In my mind at least it worked perfectly. Now I’m going to have to lay low for a while on the trapping till I can walk without a cane at least.

Unfortunately, I have no doubt that while I’m here recuperating and getting weaker, they’re “out there” getting stronger.

Also, thanks for the recipes…………..not! There’s just no way in hell I’m eating some aquatic rodent unless all other food supplies to include tofu are exhausted. Here in KS we eat BEEF. “It’s what’s for dinner.”

As for my first match back, well I “achieved” a 20 which was good enough for 3rd AAA and one of those little bronze doohickys. The match was won with a 24 in the usual KS varying “breeze”. I had a great time despite the limp and would like to thank “bentsight” for spotting for me when no one else would.

I guess the stigma of having been seen shooting with Kelley “O” is going to be about as hard to shake as my pond beavers.

Chuck

PS: SPG, if you ever get out this way, why don't you swing by and teach me how to catch these things before I kill myself.
"I do not think that word means what you think it means..."

EDWARD MALINOWSKI
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm
LocationCOLON KEARNY N.J.

Post by EDWARD MALINOWSKI » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 pm

New high tech. improved tin hat.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/f ... ge_id=1879

Against dangerous electromagnetic waves produced by WIFI and pesky beavers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ed Malinowski

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:37 pm

Coydog D. wroteCOLONGuys,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on trapping. I freely admit that I know very little to nothing about it.

It looks like for the time being the beaver insurgency has been defeated on my pond. All indicators are they’ve once again retreated to their sanctuary to the south. My soutern neighbor refuses to take direct action and favors letting other neighbors fight the insurgency for him (much like France). In an attempt to “finish this once and for all” I gained permission and pursued them on their own ground. Unfortunately Friday afternoon I succumbed to a beaver ITD (Improvised Tripping Device) meaning I fell in one of their $%%# holes setting a trap and banged up my knee pretty good. It was a cool setup too with two #3s daisy chained together on a 12ft drowning slide ending in 25 lbs of cast iron weights. In my mind at least it worked perfectly. Now I’m going to have to lay low for a while on the trapping till I can walk without a cane at least.

Unfortunately, I have no doubt that while I’m here recuperating and getting weaker, they’re “out there” getting stronger.

Also, thanks for the recipes…………..not! There’s just no way in hell I’m eating some aquatic rodent unless all other food supplies to include tofu are exhausted. Here in KS we eat BEEF. “It’s what’s for dinner.”

As for my first match back, well I “achieved” a 20 which was good enough for 3rd AAA and one of those little bronze doohickys. The match was won with a 24 in the usual KS varying “breeze”. I had a great time despite the limp and would like to thank “bentsight” for spotting for me when no one else would.

I guess the stigma of having been seen shooting with Kelley “O” is going to be about as hard to shake as my pond beavers.

Chuck

PS: SPG, if you ever get out this way, why don't you swing by and teach me how to catch these things before I kill myself.
I'm a "Stigma" :shock: Here you are shooting with bent sight, who shoots an ugly rifle & I'm a "Stigma" That's just fine :idea: & me having to shot with a guy that wears a tin foil hat & now is contsiplating a veil :shock:

Kelley O.

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
LocationCOLON Down South

Lady aka IDIOT w/tin hat!

Post by RMulhern » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:44 pm

Ed

Hot dang! There for a minute I thought that had ta be one of them 'Kalifornia Tree Huggers' but alas....she be from cross the pond!!

That rig might be helpful when the Louisiana State Bird gets to swarming! The airplane and 4# Methyl keeps 'em down when it gets that time however!! :lol: :lol:

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97

Post by Ironramrod » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Coydog,

Well, I got good news and bad news for ya. The good news is that now that your "crippled" you may still have an ace in the hole on the beavers should they return to insurgency country. Check the Ks. fur regulations to see if you can legally shoot beaver in Ks. during the open harvest season. If you can and the season is open, hobble quietly out to beaver country about an hour before sundown with your favorite rifle. Anything from a .22 rimfire on will work up to and including your favorite BPCR, but it needs to be sighted dead on the money at close targets (e.g. 50 yards or so). Get concealed real well about 30-40 yards from the lodge so you can see the water and shoreline well, and just sit quietly and wait. When they start coming out of the lodge (it might be a bank lodge) for their evenings activities, start taking your best shots. Head shots are best. If you head shoot them in the water, they will sink; on shore you have a carcass to deal with. If you want the furs, shore shots are best; if not just let them fertilize your pond.

If Ks F&G doesn't allow beaver shooting or the season is closed now, start yelling at them so that they give you a special permit for a crippled guy to shoot beaver on your own land during a closed season that are causing damage problems to your pond(s). You have the right to protect your property from wildlife damage any time of year just about any place I know about. If Ks F&G digs in their heals, start yelling at the district F&G commissioner or the governor; oftentimes it's just about like the Army in that crap flows better moving downhill.

That's the good news. The bad news is just hope you don't get a bunch of river otters move into your pond(s). They may not have any kind of open harvest season in Ks, and Ks F&G may be very hard to deal with re: animal damage control for species like otters that are partially covered under international treaty (one of Jimmy Carter's blessings). The animal damage the otters will do is they will eat every last one of the bass and bluegills you have in your ponds; guaranteed.

Life can come at a guy kinda fast sometimes, huh?

Regards

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:07 am

Ed,

Thanks for the picture. I've got one like that, but I keep it reserved for formal occasions, I think it's a little over the top for casual wear, don't you?.

A big plus is that it does help with the mosquitoes.

Kelley, what can I say, your legend lives on here in KS.

Ironramrod,

I've had this discussion with the KS F&W guys. There's no problem with me eradicating them with any (and all) means possible as long as they're doing damage. Since I haven't found one yet that hasn't been doing damage, they're all fair game.

The sunset/early am sniper ambush has accounted for #s 2, 3,and 4 of this year. It just takes a bit of time, I was hoping the traps would make things easier.

Now the good news, went out yesterday for one last check and to pull the trap off my neighbor's pond. Low and behold I got one!

The infamous and deadly daisy chained #3s with drowning slider worked as planned. Caught him on the rear ankle, the one with all the toes :mrgreen:

Only wished I could have seen his little beaver face when he got to the bottom of that cable and found that 25lbs of cast iron waiting for his happy tree gnawing, drain pipe stopping-up azz.

So, that's 5 confirmed kills and one missing 330 Conibear since 15 MAR. How many more of these things should I be looking for????????????

Chuck

EDWARD MALINOWSKI
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:26 pm
LocationCOLON KEARNY N.J.

Post by EDWARD MALINOWSKI » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:16 am

Yes it is over the top for informal occasions, but if you drop the gold mesh green sweeter and substitute an "I'm from Texas" tee-shirt, I think it will work.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ed Malinowski

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 am

Ed,

There's just no way in hell a "Rhode Islander" is even going to be found in one of those Texas shirts. Except for that one time we played a joke on MACA and I was "in disguise".

The sweater is one thing, but I've still got my pride.

Chuck

maca
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by maca » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 am

Coydog Alpha26,

Slight correction to your "played a joke on MACA" would be better defined as the ONLY time you have ever looked good while in public ! ! ! ! !

As to your current cane-hobbled plans for the rodents on your property . . . . your last post sounds like Karl the greenskeeper from the movie "CaddyShack" - how soon before you start sculpting RDX or C4 beavers ?

-maca

Dphariss
PostsCOLON 205
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:50 pm
LocationCOLON Montana

Post by Dphariss » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Yeah but anybody can load burn it up ammo on a Dillon. :D
Load 500 rounds of PP if you really want to have fun.
Dan

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97

Post by Ironramrod » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Coydog,

Beaver reamaining? It kinda depends, but this time of the year most beaver colonies are going to have 2 adults (probably 30-45 lb. size or larger), and last years litter of 3-6 kits (about 20-25 lbs at this time of year). Because of territorial behavior more than likely there is only 1 colony of beaver in your pond(s), but there could easily be another on your neighbors pond(s). Lodges on both sites and lots of fresh cutting and feeding activity at both sites would indicate a second colony.

Anyway, assuming only 1 colony is present then you are more than likely over half way to extermination, at least in the short run. There could easily be 1 or 2 more present, but the survivors can get real goosey when they figure out this is suddenly becoming a tough neighborhood. My guess is that your missing 330 conibear quite possibly has #6 in it, but he ripped it loose from the moorings and sank in the pond; quite dead as well. If that happened your conibear may very well be quite close to where you had it set with a dead beaver wrapped inside; they don't go far spread-eagled in a 330. If you have some waders or small boat and one of those 3 tined garden forks with the curved tines, you may be able to locate it on the pond bottom. Additionally, this time of year is the main period of beaver dispersal, and many juveniles of the litters from last year are moving through the country looking for some attractive vacant spot to call home. Thus, having a couple of insurgency survivors present at least for now will likely keep other dispersing beaver out; probably not a bad thing.

So, what to do? At least for the present you might pick up all your traps and clean them up for future use, look for your 330 on the pond bottom within 20-30' of where you had it set, and let everything kinda quiet down for a time. After several days a few evening recon trips from about 1 hr before sundown until dark (take your rifle) just to observe activity would probably give you a good idea of survivor numbers; maybe you got them all, too.

Future use? Your pond(s) were attractive to the past colony, and other dispersing beaver will probably like it sometime in the future. They have a mind of their own, and they don't give up easily. Also, be very careful with 330s; they're excellent traps, but they don't discriminate between beavers and trappers. Don't let one wrap itself on arm or leg; that's ugly. In case you're a little short on cast iron for anchors another good deep water slide wire anchor is a gunny sack with a couple of ice cream bucket size rocks inside.

Maybe a tin foil hat or a Texas t-shirt on a stick would convince the next generation that your pond is a really tough neighborhood?

Regards

BUTTON_POST_REPLY