I forgot how much of a PITA this sport is!

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Unknown

I forgot how much of a PITA this sport is!

Post by Coydog D. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 am

Well I’m getting ready for my 1st BPCR match in over a year. After shooting combat pistol matches all year I forgot how difficult and time consuming this chit is.

Started out with a day of .22 practice to make sure I remembered what a wind flag looks like and which direction to turn the MVA sights. Besides my lower back being sore from shooting prone, and getting raw spots on my elbows from forgetting my horsey blanket, that didn’t go too badly. After another year I can still see the targets, but I’ve got to hold the rifle another 6 inches further away to be able to see the sights for adjustment.

Then last night I cast up 130 .40 Cal PJ Creedmoors for this weekends match, that didn’t turn out too badly either. I didn’t spill alloy on myself and all the bullets came out within weight tolerance. Now all I’ve got to do is spend the next couple nights loading. All I kept thinking about was how many .45 ACPs my Dillon could crank out in the same amount of time.

Now I’ve just got to round up a spotter. That may be difficult because after being seen here with Kelley O, nobody in KS wants to shoot with me or even talk to me for that matter.

I may have to change disciplines………….

Chuck
"I do not think that word means what you think it means..."

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Well howdy do,

The truth comes out, :shock: ole Coydog D., has time to shoot combat pistol but no time for his BPCR friends :shock: , hummmmmmmmm...

Be seen with me ole Dogface says, I've had to work on my image because of hanging with doggiedogface a few times, what work that was.

What person in his right mind wants to spot for doggydoodle when they'll get the brunt of the blames :shock:

Kelley O.

TYRVR
PostsCOLON 172
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:09 pm
LocationCOLON Shenandoah Valley of Virginia,

WELL!

Post by TYRVR » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:26 pm

....just how long you two been married?

If you can't blame at least three misses on your spotter....you need to swap in on a new one.......I have long practiced the old rule of three.....I blame my sights for three misses, my spotter for three misses and the light for three misses and the wind for three misses....well...you get the idea, conversely...I expect and encourage the shooter I spot for to blame three misses on me.....but if he trys to blame me for four......I tell everybody about his forgetting to change his settings on at least two stations!
A good relationship with your spotter can up your score.......but if your spotter is a family member or a non shooter....you are DOOMED! family,(wives especially) wont back up any of your lies and will not accept the blame for that 10th. pig you missed! and non shooters have no incentive to see you do well......so believe me when I say if you have a good spotter....treat him good! let him have the last beer.......sign him in so he won't have to stand in line, clap and whistle extra loud when he gets a five or ten in a row pin! These little things can be all the difference in a winning year and another year spent in the middle of the pack with the guys shooting Pyrodex and NEF rifles..........
"Member #3, Brought Enough Gun Club"

N2
PostsCOLON 30
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:42 am
LocationCOLON Frisco, TX

Post by N2 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Chuck - Who needs to blame their spotter for a bad match? Did you anneal your brass? You never know, that insideous alloy just might have hardened in storage. Don't forget to orient the "B" in the right direction when you seat primers. As old as they are who knows how many will misfire. How about the powder? You know how that foreign stuff deteriorates with age. Let's not forget your bullet alloy. Stored in your garage it's bound to have oxidized and what did that do to your final alloy hardness? How old is that lube? Do you think it's still good? Are you still using veggie wads? The sheet you punch your wads from has probably dried out by now. No way that'll protect your bullet base. Don't think you get off using LDPE. I'm sure if you are using that plastic junk it's brittle by now. You probably need to disassemble your rifle and clean all the congealed grease out of it. Nope, no way you'll have a good match, not this time out. Maybe in a year or two after you replace all your reloading components, but not now. - Nick

maca
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by maca » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 pm

CoyWho ?,

N2 tossed up a bunch of "punkin" answers you might be able to use when the unenlightned ask you what went wrong at the match.

Most of us who know you, however, cannot abide giving you THAT kind of crutch to fall back upon when things get tough. Someone has to speak honestly - and I think the task has fallen upon me - when asked what went wrong at your next REAL rifle match. Simply reply: "Huh ?"

Senility is still THE valid ultimate fall-back position.

-maca

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Kelley,

Well I had to do something during my BPCR sabbatical, and pistol matches are kinda fun and fast paced. Plus, no casting, minimal loading time and an entire match takes 2 hours. I may convert to 3 gun matches, do you have any idea how may AR15s I can get for my Shiloh?????

Don't sweat it guys, I've still got plenty of excuses stored up and ready to go. I'm probably only going to shoot Saturday, so I'll get by.

Went out tonight and found two beaver toes in one of my traps, so now I've got to get the other 98% of him. So I'll set Friday night, get back here SAT evening to check and reset.

Chuck

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Let me see here,

Doggiedoodledodo, comes back from sabbatical, starts whining, has excuses stored, then threatens 3 guns matchs. :shock: Pistol match and those uptight ipstick shooters SUCK. REAL MEN SHOOT RIFLES :!:

Chuckie dingdong didn't go on any sabbatical, he was just let out of the peanut gallery nut house ran by the boys in black, he was looking up at those black helios and didn't see the boys in black in front or should I say, the boys in the white coats :lol:

TYRVR,

Now you could have typed all day and not typed,"just how long you two been married" I have this story about Chuckie boy and me being his spotter, #1 it's bad enough enough to be seen with a man that insists upon wearing tin foil on his head, looks for black helios, men in black, let alone listen to how tin head wants spotter to yell, "HIT" at the top of said spotters lungs. Spotting for foil head is so bad the next door shooters move away like there's some type of plague, we even got repremanded for arguing and I was right too. Then tin man yells at the top of his lungs at an old women to remove rifle from the line, she had a heart attack over that, a new low even for metal head. We stayed at this roach motel once, there was a leak coming from the upstairs bathroom and foil head made me poke a hole in ceiling to see were water was coming from, just happened to be the upstairs toilet. The roach motel manager asked if we wanted a new room, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ole tin for brains said we could tough it out as those men in black are afraid of toilet water, like that water is holy :shock: Now I'm sure the Chuckiedoggie will have his version, like I would believe someone who wear aluminun on his head, to bed even.

Kelley O.

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 am

Kelley O. Roos wroteCOLON
We stayed at this roach motel once, there was a leak coming from the upstairs bathroom and foil head made me poke a hole in ceiling to see were water was coming from, just happened to be the upstairs toilet. The roach motel manager asked if we wanted a new room, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, ole tin for brains said we could tough it out as those men in black are afraid of toilet water, like that water is holy :shock:
Kelley O.
You know, I almost forgot about you and that hole in the ceiling till now. I don't remember happing quite the way you do. I could have sworn I was the one saying "don't poke that, something bad is going to happen".

Do you think we're allowed back in MO yet??? I noticed I didn't get an invite from the St. Louis Club after that.

Chuck

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:29 am

Chuck,

I don't think so :shock: Not after I told a certain fellow to kiss my patootie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need to be thinking about the Southeastern Regional Mid Range Championships held at Riverbend gun club, Ga. in Sept.. Cool range, match and great bunch of guys. Ole Rbump said I didn't look so mean :D , I told him I was mad yet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.

SPG
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Cody, WY

Post by SPG » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:04 pm

Chuck,

On the two beaver toes...sounds like you need a No. 4 (or maybe 4 1/2)Newhouse with 8 ft. of chain. Those old Newhouse's don't give up much...

Gute Ziele,

Steve

maca
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Post by maca » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:39 pm

The ULTIMATE 'lurker' shows up on a tin-can site to offer recommendations about traps & doesn't say a dad-gummed thing to CoyDog Alpha26 about coming to 'the light' and tormenting him into trying Schuetzen.

Hmmmm . . . . something is not right with this.

-maca

bentsight
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:56 am

Post by bentsight » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:18 am

Chuck,
Good to hear you're bringing the tin hat back to the firing line. During your absence did you know that the NRA relented per YOUR comments and changed the scoring classifications back to pre-05'. I'm surprised that nobody told you that you were a Master class all last year... I guess that the conspiracy lives on.
Hope to see you Saturday,
Mike
Always tell the truth...that way you never have to remember what you said.

Coydog D.
PostsCOLON 71
LocationCOLON Unknown

Post by Coydog D. » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:22 am

Mike,

That’s got to be BS, there’s no way in hell that anything good for me came out of the NRA Silhouette Committee! Yes, I’m putting the whole “mentally and emotionally unstable” back into the Miller experience. I’ll see you tomorrow!

Kelley,

SEP is doable, I just have to wait and see what’s up. There’s a chance we’re putting up a barn, some white vinyl “horsey fence” and new road down to my “range” starting on 1 OCT. IF that happens not only will I not be going to GA, but there’s a good chance I’ll be trapping beavers for food. Hell, after the IRS just got done with my azz, I’m looking at hamburger helper as being a “treat”.

SPG,

I’ll look for a Newhouse or two. Right now I’m using #3s with a 12’ wire rope with a drowning slide lock and 15lbs of cast iron weight on the end.

I “think” what happened in this case is the beaver slept in and by the time he got around to fixing the hole I made in his dam the water level had gone down a little too much. So he had a chance to sit in “beaver wading level” water while he twisted his toes off. I thought I had set the trap deep enough to catch a rear foot, but with the low water I caught a front.

Anyhow, “I thought I thought of everything” and once again an animal with a brain the size of a peach pit has outwitted me. My only consolation is that his digging and dam making abilities have been degraded somewhat. Too bad I didn’t get the whole foot cause then I could walk down there and shoot him at my leisure as he swam in never ending circles.

My next step may very well be a nightscope for my M4 and putting an end to this. I’m really not enjoying the whole Jeremiah Johnson routine too much and those 330 Conibears hurt like hell when they go off on you.

Chuck

PS: Jerry “Bite Me”

SPG
PostsCOLON 19
LocationCOLON Cody, WY

Post by SPG » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:22 am

Jeremiah CoyDog,
My experience with toes in the trap have been that a big beaver hits the trap and goes like hell to the end of the chain. Foot (either front or back) is pulled out but the trap jaws set up and rip off the toes.

A Newhouse No. 4 is so much stronger and faster that it grabs and holds above the joint. For those "problem" beaver I have a couple of the old 4 1/4's (offset with teeth). I always liked drowning stakes as they don't let them take such a run at the chain. Also, if one puts the jaw hinge pins in line with the path of the beaver, the jaws don't flip the leg up and out of the way when he hits the pan.

Don't want to sound like a "Know-It-All"...but I learned this stuff the hard way. That and I attended the John Phariss School of Beaver Trapping for two seasons. Old John forgot more about catching beaver than I'll ever know...

By the way...you are taking your tin hat off when trapping beaver, aren't you?

Gute Ziele,

Steve

SPG
PostsCOLON 19
LocationCOLON Cody, WY

Post by SPG » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Macameister,
Lurker indeed...I prefer to think that I'm coming out of the sun, throttle open and flaps up.

Good job on the Schuetzen insert, by the way. Now we''ll just have to wait and see how many of the unwashed choose to follow The Way.

I've heard good reports about the Harres, Fagras and Lovett Catering/ Bail Bond Service.

Gute Ziele,

Steve

BUTTON_POST_REPLY