Home Defense and BPCR

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
CommandoBob
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:36 pm
LocationCOLON Merkel Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Home Defense and BPCR

Post by CommandoBob » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:13 am

Wallace propmted me to ask an off the wall question for this forum

What would you all do for home defense when it came to an armed intruder?

Do you own nothing but BPC firearms?

Just a curious question. While I don't own any "Assault Rifles" (Not saying there's anything wrong with them; I just don't have any). I do own a few more than BPCR's for home defense. Personally, I'm a sawed-off shotgun fan after I had a drugged up armed indivifual enter my home illegally at 0200 armed mant years ago. The intruder soaked up 26 9mm rounds (2 magazines from a Browning Hi-Power) before he succumbed. The cops told me to get I should get a 12 gauge. so I did and now use them as a primary home defense.

Just wondering what you BPCR fans would use for home defense

So what say you, generators of Sulpher Smoke :lol: ??

Bob :)

Trail Boss
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 pm
LocationCOLON Pineville, LA

home defense

Post by Trail Boss » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:56 am

Personally I have a Pietta 1858 Remmington .44 cal. BP with an R&D .45 Colt conversion cylinder. If that don't work I can always wack them with the Quigley. :wink: The wife stays at home most of the time and likes semi autos, Browning target pistol in .22 lr. and her favorite a Marlin Camp 9mm with a 30 round clip. She is proficiant in the use of all the weapons in the house including the Sharps. I pity anyone who tries to come in that door. :shock: On her wish list for the year is a Stoeger coach gun 12 ga. and a Uberti Yellow Boy in .45 Colt. :D

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:37 am

Bob,

For home defense ya just can't beat a good short barrelled pump 12 ga. loaded with 5 rounds of #4 buckshot. The #4 buck gives better patterns than the bigger buckshot and has plenty of horsepower. Our local sheriff told me to make sure the bad guy in your house is dead before they get there. That way the bad guy goes to the morgue and then the graveyard rather than the hospital and then to the courtroom.

Regards

JSU
PostsCOLON 144
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:30 pm
LocationCOLON here'n'there

Post by JSU » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:46 am

Until I can reload a single shot rifle as quickly as my Beretta .40 semi-auto reloads itself, I'll stick with the modern firearm for home defense. I like the Crimson Trace grips also. But if one is not proficient with the self defense use of handguns, nothing says "get out" quite like chambering a shell into a pump shotgun. And if an intruder doesn't speak that particular language, then a message from the muzzle with a prompting from the trigger will get the idea across without need of translation. Of course at that point they may be leaving in a body bag.

There's a time and a place for BP and our fine singleshots. I don't see home defense as one of them. And given the fire power seen at some of the home invasions of late, that's one time and place I wouldn't consider a hummingbird rifle as my first choice.

--Steve
Life without passion is neither....

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Let's just say I have sufficient means at han d without picking up the Sharps. I am not paranoid, but choose to substitute my methods. How about 12 ga psychology classes in each of 5 locations in the house and 2 in the garage.
jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Blammo

Post by crossfireoops » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Just added aMossberg "Maverick" pump gun to my stable.......DAMN fine fighting shotgun, with a plain vanilla ugliness.
Sorta' like a beautiful hardwood handled Ballpeen 3 pounder, versus a modern "deadblow, in terms of esthetics.

# 4 buck dittos.

.............Clint Smith, "Duke" Venturinos compadre did a wonderful comparative eval on a modern "High Cap." semi auto, versus a single action BP fueled .45LC wheelgun.

....................one interesting , and very valid point that he made, was that when ( at home defence range).....the agressor goes down, not only shot....but ON fire, as well.

Bears thinkin about.

Even thoough it'll stink up the house.

I live just N. of the Border, and unfortunately, have to spend far to much time thinkin' about this sorta' nonsense.

Mebbe Duke, or Clint can post a copy of that article, it's a good one.

I don't like gettin shot at, with anything.....but would personally prefer that gray / white stuff, to BP.

Best regards, GTC 8)

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 am
LocationCOLON Massachusetts

Post by OLReliable » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:30 pm

My greeter gun is a 10ga flare pistol.

"GOOD EVENING, SIR .... LET ME LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE..."

OLR
Last edited by 1 on OLReliable, edited 0 times in total.

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:33 am

When defending the home it becomes and up close and personal thing, stressfull, with alot adrenline thrown in, so some thought should be given to were those missed bullets and buck shot end up. You wouldn't want a loved one, who your trying to protect, being the reciepient of those bullets or buck shot. Bullets and sometimes buck shot will go through walls and etc.

If you really are into defending the home, to me at least, you should practice in your mind what you want to accomplish when defending your home.

Kelley O.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

In House

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:52 am

Kelley's got a good point.

My standard "Desert cocktail" revolver cylinder load brings up 2 snake shot loads first, folowed by a coupla Glaser "safety slugs", and than the last 2 up are hydra shock , or the like.
What with more and more body armor turning up in creepland things are now a bit more complicated.
Those gazillion candlepower LEDS can be a good tool.
Typically dusty here, and I reckon the lazer gizmos just give away 'yer position.
12 ga. " Dragon's Breath " is an interesting load, under certain conditions. Be sure to have fire extinguishers handy, though.

GTC 8)

Hank
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 am
LocationCOLON Maine

Post by Hank » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:10 am

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out get me.
But in all seriousness; I'm just 40 miles north of the border, also. The Massachusettes Border! The Maine State Cops once told my son that at any given time, on I95, the car passing you will have a drug dealer in it who would just as soon shoot you as flip you the bird, if you make him mad.
Beside my bed is an original,1888 Win high wall, 45-70 with BP loads.(Used to be a 50-140 but that hurt ME more than anything I was shooting at.) In the drawer by the bed is my late father-in-law's 1902 Colt 38 ACP, that, believe it or not, I CAN hit something with within 30 feet, three clips of 7. By my chair down in the living room is a second model(1881) 1873 Win rifle,44-40 with 8 in the tube, BP. In the pantry by the kitchen door is an original,OLD,12 ga model 12 WIN sawed off to 20 inches. I should never have cut it but I did that 35 years ago before I found out how much old guns were worth. Ditto on the #4 buck. My old, screamin' goose loads.
Out in the barn is a Win single shot 16ga with a can of misc shells hidden near it. That's more for rabid coyotes and rounding up the horses after dark when THEY'RE acting spooky and I get feelin' like there's somethin' comin' outta the swamp.
The gun I carry, when I do, is an original, antique Colt SA, 4 3/4,44-40. I can hit exactly what I want within about 30 yrds.
The list goes on but those are the working guns.
Kids are grown and gone, though they all have their own guns and all can shoot(2 boys, 1 girl). Just the wife and me and the animals. All the guns are out of sight to any casual observer.
I've never come close to having to defend myself, or my loved ones, with a gun, and hope to God I never have to. But I can...
I'm gonna reload this 44 Henry rimfire if it's the last thing I do.

CommandoBob
PostsCOLON 57
CONTACTCOLON

Post by CommandoBob » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:08 am

I'm a Shotgun fan as of the incident I discussed previously. There are QUITE a few of them situated around the house. Even my 77 year old mother-in-law (who lives with us...For now :lol: ) knows how to use them.

Nothing like a liberal dose of buckshot to say "Get Out!"

Bad Ass Wallace
PostsCOLON 157
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:47 am
LocationCOLON Australia

Post by Bad Ass Wallace » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:19 am

Owing to the fact that my guns are in a 2 1/2 ton safe, inside an eight inch double reinforced concrete bunker with 1/4 plate steel door and 3 deadlocks, inside a steel garage locker and 40yds from the house and the ammo in a seperate 14ga steel locker with another 4 locks to open; I think I'd attack the SOB with a bloody cold zuccini from the refrigerator :x :x

viewtopic.php?t=1198&highlight=
Hold Still Varmint; while I Plugs Yer!

CommandoBob
PostsCOLON 57
CONTACTCOLON

Post by CommandoBob » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:52 am

Bad Ass Wallace wroteCOLONOwing to the fact that my guns are in a 2 1/2 ton safe, inside an eight inch double reinforced concrete bunker with 1/4 plate steel door and 3 deadlocks, inside a steel garage locker and 40yds from the house and the ammo in a seperate 14ga steel locker with another 4 locks to open; I think I'd attack the SOB with a bloody cold zuccini from the refrigerator :x :x

viewtopic.php?t=1198&highlight=
Lets hope it nevers comes to having to store our weapons like that here

SharpsShooter
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:57 pm
LocationCOLON West Virginia

Post by SharpsShooter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:39 am

45 SAA works for me. 255gr Keith SWC at 900fps will take the fight out of most and if it doesn't, there are 4 more left in the cylinder. The bedroom gun is a 1911 loaded with 185gr JHP's and an extra mag. Shotguns are good, but in a close quarter confrontation, it is too easy for an adversary to get past the muzzle.

SS
Whatdaya mean.........there's other calibers beside the 45-70???

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Strategic philosophy

Post by crossfireoops » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:53 pm

Pistols are for fightin' your way to your shotgun.

Shotguns are for fightin' your way to your rifle. :wink:

GTC 8)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY