.38-50 Hepburn

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
WVsmoke
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: .38-50 Hepburn

Post by WVsmoke » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:25 pm

Kurt,
I guess you have a 38-50 Rem Hep you are forming for. When I was forming my brass I used 30-40 Krag brass to start with because 303 Brit did not give me enough length for the reamer that cut my chambers. The Specs for the two brass forms have a small difference in the width of the brass near the base. The 30-40 was too tight to chamber in my chamber, so rather than buying a forming die, I bought a used 303 Brit full length sizing die and hogged out the top of the die in my drill press and used it to reform the base of my brass.(I had already blown out my brass with corn meal and pistol powder and did not want to go backwards). This worked easily to form the brass, so that I could finish fire forming and trimming to final length. I still do not own a 38-50 forming die even though that would have been simpler but more expensive. I have a low wall chambered in this round, and it is my favorite deer rifle….
Allan

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:52 pm

Thank you FM and Allan.

I went through this in the past with forming cases for the .44-90 BN with the .44 Bell 3-1/4" basic brass and the .40-70 using .405 Hornady brass. The .44 was a little more difficult. I had to make a base forming die for it but the .40-70 I also cut the EZ edge off the bottom of a sizing die and pushed the case fully in to the rim using the swage press and drove the case out with a brass rod. I was talking with Arnie about this and he suggested using a 303 die but this jogged my memory that I had the .40-70 die to do this with already and I pushed a couple cases through and this solved the base diameter. The rim diameter I used the lathe.
All this worked out fine except that I put the cart in front of the horse and loaded 300 cases with unique and corn meal before I got the rifle. I sent 5 cases to Dan telling him to fit the cases to the chamber and set the head space but I guess he forgot to do this. But it's an easy fix. except I have a camp fire started with the mix of powder and corn meal. Both burn well :D
Its getting to cold outside to shoot test loads anyway but blowing out the necks I can do in the garage with the heater running :D
Kurt
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 151
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON Northeastern New York

Post by Vbull » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:46 pm

Kurt,
Just as a fyi, I blew out a bunch of 30-40 cases for a 40-60 Maynard using some shotgun powder and cornmeal with a wax plug.
I aimed it straight down into a rolled up piece of carpet to keep the noise down. It worked really well keeping the noise down. BUT, when I removed the carpet when finished there was a very noticeable divot in the concrete! I mean really noticeable.
I finished the cases by shooting straight up into the air at the local gun range. Frank

WVsmoke
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Post by WVsmoke » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:09 pm

A friend of mine who had the equipment and the reamer made a clever tool for fire forming our brass. He used a 6” piece of barrel, chambered for this round chucked up in the lathe and turned the outside dimensions to drop into a twelve gauge barrel. We could drop a loaded round in the jig, drop the jig into a single shot shot gun, close the action and fire the gun. The jig would drop out of the barrel and a short rod was used to remove the brass. You could process a lot of brass with ease. An occasional bore mop to keep things moving along, and final cleanup was no big deal. It worked really nice and saved the handling of our target rifles for this mundane work.

Allan

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:17 pm

:D I live out I the country and I have a 130 yard range with a bench on my porch but it's so cold out so forming this brass I just step out I the garage and I shoot at a box so I know that that wad of will cut right through that box But I had no idea that shooting at the concrete floor about a foot or so above would do that :D
I have 30 cases that I loaded with a 58 grain load of 3F and it's time for life fire tomorrow if it gets above zero.
Things are coming along fine. I still have to use a rod to get the cases extracted but they are not tight. I don't want to push to hard oj the flush lever forcing the case out. They might extract after I shoot a life round. It's supposed to get up to 14 tomorrow but dropping down to -8 over night. Might shoot out of the kitchen window :D
Kurt
Teddy Roosevelt.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:19 pm

Allan, If there is a willing there is a way. :D
Teddy Roosevelt.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:42 am

I fired two rounds today and all went well. The rifle ejected the empty case with out a problem. That really surprised me that it ejects instead extracting it. I think I will like this rifle.
Very low recoil. I think this will make a fine off hand shooter the way the balance feels with this 1/2 round 30" 10# 4oz weight rifle.
Mow to get the rest of the 500 cases fire formed blowing the shoulders and necks out the .Krag cases.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:38 pm

Well it got warm today 30º when I went out and shot.
This is the first shot fired after shooting cornmeal blanks.
I trimmed 53 cases and reloaded them with some old 3F Goex Express I been saving for this type of work and loaded 60 grains and shot the BA DDPP 371/345 bullet plus 40-45 yead old CCI primers that at the time had a $8.08 price tag sold at the Klines department store 😄.
I shot these at 130 yards and the small 1" paster has 8 holes and the large has around 30 or 33 shots fired at it after I got the scope on paper.
I was really happy the way to shot for the first load using of all things cold bullets with wrinkles. I figured these would be just fine for the finish forming the brass. I didn't look for accuracy I just wanted to form the brass.
I think this rifle is showing signs that it might shoot.

Looking at those two holes and shooting rejected unfilled cold bullets makes me wonder if all my efforts making top quality bullets and exact powder loads if it's really needed.
ImageIMG_0654 by Kurt, on Flickr
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1762
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:58 pm

That is just awesome for starting out!
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Hiwall55
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON on the banks of the Mississippi river

Post by Hiwall55 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Got out today,left the geese alone for one day. Shot my 45-70 Browning, drlled and tapped at 7.2 for my DZ scope, had 5 old rounds ,got it shooting on center with 3, moved target to 200,went up 25 ,shot 2 more both touching in X. Did ladder loads with new powder, new bullet and new scope. Dang this gun will shoot.
Have to get warmer for the 38/50, but I do Have 100 bullets cast and patched.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm

I had a lot of shells that fit the chamber very tight that I had to use a pusher stick to get the breach closed. I don't have a cartridge seater yet but today I got a $17. Lee .303 Brit sizing die and I ran 10 cornmeal loaded shells through the die sizing it down a little and now the shells drop right in and the breach closes like it should. If I have a Carbide parting tool I will cut the neck off the die on the lathe and run some tight loaded shells through it.
Things are coming together with this shooter.

Hey Brent it's getting close to sugar time. It got above freezing today get those buckets washed out. :D
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1762

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:10 am

Kurt wroteCOLON
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:45 pm
Hey Brent it's getting close to sugar time. It got above freezing today get those buckets washed out. :D
I'm not ready yet, but I do have paths cleared to an additional 5 more trees this year. Should double my production I think. Also, I'm down to my last quart of syrup from last year. I think we have at least a month of waiting yet. But time will tell.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:21 pm

The ideal time I found is in the mid to upper 20's at night and 30-40 during the day. This is when the sap starts moving.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1762

Post by Brent » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:48 pm

As a wild hair idea, have you ever thought about adding a bucket of walnut sap to a bunch of Is Maple sap to make slightly walnut flavored Maple syrup?

I think we are getting out in the weeds a little bit.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 698

Post by Kurt » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:38 pm

No I haven't tried that. I tapped some of my Walnut trees but never got enough sap from them.
You could try some boxelder.
Teddy Roosevelt.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY