This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
jeronimo41
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 pm
LocationCOLON Northern Idaho
CONTACTCOLON

Post by jeronimo41 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Howdy folks!
New member here from Northern Idaho. I have tried getting on for months and finally made it happen. Dunno what was wrong.
I read posts mostly old and rarely new on here all the time. Always trying to improve my game , which is what most of us TRY to do
on a daily and shoot to shoot basis! Been shooting since I was knee high like most of us...and now that I'm fully retired law enforcement...all I want to do is reload, fine tune, shoot, reload, and so on and on..
I shoot long range with both Sharps and Pedersoli rifles....and recently got hooked on long range with a few of my Original winchesters...500yds and beyond. Not impossible,,just takes bullet and load tuning and a bit of patience
There are very few people who shoot BPCR up north here so I pretty much just go up into the mountains and set up ranges in the clear cuts from 200 to 600 with my gongs on a weekly basis.
The main group of fellas I shoot with do monthlies at their own full size Buffalo Herd down around Bend Oregon. I dont mind the 7 hour drive..
hell, I look forward to it. Ranges are from 100 to 1100 and no one goes away from our monthly 3 day shoots without a smile and alot of BS
stories told and stretched to their limit!
I look forward to travelling the country in the next years meeting and shooting with lots of new friends. The older I get, the younger I'm feeling!
There's nothing like the smell of freshly sparked gunpowder! Amen.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: New Member

Post by Brent » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Welcome!

This is a kind of quite place these days, but there are plenty of BPCR and BPTR shooters that are doing the same things you are interested in doing. You have some good shooters and good ranges in your neck of the woods - regionally speaking - so you are lucky that way. And some good gunsmiths and more. Yup, you are set.

What sort of Winchesters? I have Sharps and others, but I am very partial to Winchester 1885s. Finest rifle ever made.

If you are interested in BPCR or Creedmoor shooting we can get you hooked up with match directors in your part of the world and beyond. Just say the word.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

jeronimo41
PostsCOLON 8
CONTACTCOLON

Post by jeronimo41 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks Brent and I do appreciate it.
I'm already shooting within 500 miles all around me.
There's enough to keep me busy on a weekly basis.
Keep on shooting!

horseman308
PostsCOLON 79
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am

Welcome. It is a pretty quiet forum, but lots of info. I'm also curious about your Winchesters. Or here on the east coast, getting to those longer ranges is a lot harder, so I'm a little jealous!
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 am

horseman,
you don't have to have 1000 yd ranges to appreciate the perfection that is the Winchester 1885 Singleshot. Finest rifle made, anywhere in the world. I own a few Sharps too, and they are fine rifles, but Winchesters have the good looks and everything to go with it.

jeronimo41
PostsCOLON 8
CONTACTCOLON

Post by jeronimo41 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am
Welcome. It is a pretty quiet forum, but lots of info. I'm also curious about your Winchesters. Or here on the east coast, getting to those longer ranges is a lot harder, so I'm a little jealous!
My favorite is my newly acquired 1866 made in 1892. She is a 45-90 and shoots like a dream!
I own it by pure luck of the draw. The fella that sold it to me got it from a friend of his before this friend passed.
He didnt want or need it and was just about to put it up for sale when I found him in my neck of the woods.
Anyway..long story short....I bought it, worked up some "educated guess loads" for it so that I could take it to a shoot
the following weekend and won the mid range competition. (200, 300, 400, 500yds) I shot it with the original buckhorn sights
and hit 18 of 20 shots to take the win. I am going to the grave with this rifle!
I now have vernier sights on the rear and look forward to more experimentation. The load and bullet I am shooting is super stable and it should
be fairly easy to get her to 1000yds. We'll see. I shoot long range Sharps competitions so I'm pretty confidant in my ability to get her to shoot.
Anyway...thats my story. Since retiring..I live to shoot, reload, and shoot some more! Life is good. Cheers fellas!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:58 pm

What are you using for powder and bullet in that 86 or 66? I think you mean 86.

jeronimo41
PostsCOLON 8
CONTACTCOLON

Post by jeronimo41 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:58 pm

oops...sorry...meant 1886!
Swiss 1.5 AND OE 1.5 mainly. I can get pretty much anything to work with my various combo's I have researched/SHOT.
I am constantly revamping and shooting with different combo's. I have all the time in the world to try everything (bullet/powder/wad/compression)
I want...and I do. I generally shoot up to 300 rounds a week at 5 shot bullet/powder trial intervals. (but thats in many of my rifles)
I am always trying something new to see if it will work. I figure if all hell breaks loose...which is seems to daily....
I can make everything from 1F to 4F work the way I want it to. Been doing it for years and I've got it pretty well mastered.
Keep shooting. Cheers..

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 am

Do you use a grease cookie or are you shooting grease groove bullets? What lube?

Do you wipe or blowtube between shots?

jeronimo41
PostsCOLON 8
CONTACTCOLON

Post by jeronimo41 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 am

GG bullets
wiping depends on what I'm shooting.
wipe every shot with BPCR rifles. For years I experimented with blow tubing but settled on consistent results telling me what to do.
Every 5th round or so with the Winchesters.
how about you?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:44 am

With my Marlin 1895, I wipe every 5 shots - basically a simulated hunting routine. I took this gun to Alaska this spring for Black Bear but never found one I wanted to shoot. I use a home made pull-through wiping rig to do it. My load is 70 grsn of Swiss powder a 0.125" grease cookie of homemade concoction, and then a cardwad and a 410 gr flat-nosed, paper-patched bullet. Works quite well.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 79
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Those are some beautiful rifles, Brent. A good 1885 is on my short list, but I've got a good Sharps and a CPA Silhouette model that will keep me focused for now.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1752

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:05 am

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 pm
Those are some beautiful rifles, Brent. A good 1885 is on my short list, but I've got a good Sharps and a CPA Silhouette model that will keep me focused for now.
In the end, the rifle make doesn't matter. You can win any match with a Sharps, CPA, or Winchester, etc. The barrel, the way it is mounted and chambered, is all that matters. The rest is on you and your spotter.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY