Advice on my 1874 Sharps

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
zboneee
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:26 am

Advice on my 1874 Sharps

Post by zboneee » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 pm

I have a Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 45/70. I bought it used, it's a nice piece with a factory LH cheekpiece which is quite rare to find but kind of neat since I am left handed. I put top quality MVA sights on it. My gun has a 34 inch full octagon barrel, measuring just over 1 inch near the breach and tapering to a bit over 0.9 inches at the muzzle. In short, it is a beast. After a couple of years of ownership, I have concluded that I really don't enjoy shooting it all that much because it is just so heavy and unwieldly. I am not a competition shooter; I just enjoy field shooting with a variety of accurate modern and classic rifles (no AR-15s!). I like position shooting and with this Sharps and its 34 inch barrel that is pretty fatiguing.

So -- I am wondering if replacing this barrel with a shorter one, perhaps a half-round 28 inch barrel, would make an appreciable difference? I know this is a heavy rifle and nothing is going to change that, but I suspect that removing some of that weight sitting way out there at the muzzle might significantly improve the handling qualities of this piece. What do you think?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1696
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Advice on my 1874 Sharps

Post by Brent » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

It will make a gigantic difference! And you could step down to smaller calibers as well.

Many a Sharps languishes in a safe or closet for just th he reasons you described.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

pacecars
PostsCOLON 103
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Post by pacecars » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:20 pm

You could always sell it and order another one. If you don’t want to wait too long you can go through Bill Goodman

parkergunz
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:28 pm
LocationCOLON Hardin, Montana

Post by parkergunz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 am

Cut it down to 30". I have a #3 which started life with a 34" barrel. After a few years I had Shiloh cut it back to 30" and recut the dove tail. It is much more manageable now. Give them a call. Any local competent gunsmith should be able to do it also.

SSShooter
PostsCOLON 108
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm
LocationCOLON Mays Landing, NJ

Post by SSShooter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 am

Not only cut it back to 30" but also have it turned half-round. More than one person I know (including me) that has done that has been pleased with the results.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY