Paper rings

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1632
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Paper rings

Post by Brent » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:52 pm

I was shooting down some old ammo today and had some interesting results. At one point, I looked over at the pile of brass I had accumulated and found this.

You can see it obviously has a problem where almost the entire outer wrap of the paper has been stripped off of the bullet and held in the case. You can see the rifling quite obviously. There can be no doubt that full obturation occurs while the bullet is still sitting in the case. You can see rifling all the way down to the case mouth.

I don't know if you can see it in this photo, but there is a pronounced lip on the inside of the case mouth.

This case was 2.103" long. I think the case was starting to climb the bevel at the end of the chamber and it is grabbing onto the bullets and papers.

Here is another one. This case was 2.104" long.

It has been years since I trimmed these cases. I think the time as come.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 645
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: Paper rings

Post by Kurt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Brent I had that happen a few times with my .40-70 and I think your right about the case being to close to the 45 degree chamber end. Also I think it also has something to do with the patch folded under not far enough that keeps the wad from catching both wraps with a shallow seated bullet. That made me mould the patch halve way to the center of the bullet base.

I also found a case neck that pulled off about 150 yards down range :)

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Re: Paper rings

Post by martinibelgian » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 am

Been there, but in my case it was from tumbling the cases in walnut media without cleaning the inside after tumbling. That gave a gritty coating in the case neck, leading to cases lengthening and case neck separation. It took me a while to figure that one out...

BUTTON_POST_REPLY