Questions on tang screw for Pedersoli Sharps

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Questions on tang screw for Pedersoli Sharps

Post by horseman308 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm re-posting in the General section since the original post didn't get any traction in the gunsmithing section. Mods, please do as you need in case this is a no-no.

I put Lee Shaver sights on my Pedersoli 74 Sharps. It's got that issue where the original tang screw is too long when used under the sight mounting plate, and interferes with the triggers. The screw was shortened some, but I wonder how much it should be shortened. When operating the triggers with the sight removed) I can see the screw actually move in its hole when setting and firing the triggers. I assume this is not correct?

Also, I need to replace the front tang screw. I buggered up the slot and would rather start with a new screw.
VTI Gunparts lists that screw but only shows a straight stock diagram and does not differentiate whether that screw will fit the pistol grip stock. Is it the same screw for both stocks? VTI has not responded to an email. Is there a better source for that screw? Thanks
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 54
LocationCOLON Maryland

Re: Questions on tang screw for Pedersoli Sharps

Post by horseman308 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Never mind. All is well. I was able to file the screw short enough and then clean up the screw head with a hacksaw and files.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1627
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:52 pm

I can't answer your questions directly, however, if the distance between the top and bottom tang are the same where the screw passes through them as it is around the triggers, then it is probably the same length as the straight grip screw which will have parallel top and bottom tangs. Does that make sense?

Your comment about the screw moving when you operate the trigger is a bit troubling. I can't see how this could happen and it makes me think it is very loose in the hole and the threads as well. Everything should be nice and snug.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 54
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:24 pm

The trigge plate on the Pedersoli is a bit odd. There's a large lug with a hollowed out center directly in the middle of the plate - looks to either be forged/cast on (not sure if it's a forged or cast plate) or brazed in place. It sits directly under the front tang screw hole, and the trigger levers are inside this hollowed out area inside the lug. The top of the lug is tapped, and the front tang screw passes through the tang and into this lug, snugging the stock between the tang and trigger plate.

What was happening was that the forward tang screw was actually securing the front of the factory Pedersoli sight base. However, once I went to the Shaver sight with the longer base, that screw was driving too far down and contacting the trigger bars. Even when it was snuggled tight, it only felt tight because it was bottoming out on the trigger bars. Once it was filed shorter, it sits quite snug in the screw hole with no trigger contact. Thus, no movement when working the triggers.

Lee explained this to me when I first got the sights, but I didn't get it until I took the stock apart and looked myself.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1627
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:32 pm

I think i'm going to have to see one to fully grasp it too.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY