Declicking a Fecker or Unertl

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Declicking a Fecker or Unertl

Post by Brent » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

I have a Fecker scope that I would like to declick. Since the mounts are the same as most Unertls, what works for one, should work for the other.

I know I can declick by disassembling the outside end of the knob and flipping the spring. This involved driving out the central axle of the knob which is peened on top to retain everything in the knob.

I am wondering if I could alternatively do something with the "L" shaped piece of steel that rides against the scope and then travels up into the knob where it does "something" but I don't know what. It does, however seem to engage something that clicks. Perhaps I could remove this piece, file the top off and then reassemble?

Any ideas?

Alternatively, anyone with a declicked mount that wants to sell, let me know.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 632
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: Declicking a Fecker or Unertl

Post by Kurt » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Brent Wayne Tex Mac did a fine writeup for declicking a Unertl you might look at. http://www.texas-mac.com/Cost_Effective ... tions.html

Premod70
PostsCOLON 87
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Removing the L shaped piece stops the clicking but it then allows the base pad of the micrometer to turn in it's contact with the scope tube resulting in false readings. Better to remove/flip the clicker and leave the L shaped piece intact, JMHO.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm

I think I agree with that Premod. But how to remove that spring on top? It seems to be more or less riveted or peened in place. Grinding it will free it, but how to re-attach securely.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 87

Post by Premod70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm

I've never seen a schematic of the mount to know the internals, maybe a call to Parsons or one of the other scope shops would be a wise move, good luck.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 993
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Brent,

Fecker mounts are more significantly more complicated to de-click than Unertl's. I just sent you a PM.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm not sure this photo will work out on the first try, but in any event, I invented my own way to declick a Fecker. Takes less than 10 minutes, requires no disassembly and is completely reversible.

It involves snipping off a piece of a 0.030" LDPE wad (0.060" is too thick) and then inserting it under the spring clip ring to block the detent in it. The snipping should be shaped much like a fingernail clipping. You will have to experiment for size and shape, but it doesn't seem super critical.

Anyway, next use a very small "Eyeglasses screwdriver" or similar (spring steel dissecting probes work really well too). Slide the tip of the tool under the spring steel ring next to the detent and pry it upwards gently while poking the sliver of LDPE under it. A second screwdriver or probe works well for this. Then release the tension on the spring lowering it onto the LDPE which now blocks the detent from engaging the teeth of the cogwheel below it. The detent seems to do a fine job of holding the plastic in place and you can dial to your heart's content without clicks. So far, it seems to stay in place, though you may want to experiment with shapes and sizes a little if it wants to move on you.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 993
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Brent,

Very innovative solution especially since it does not require permanent modifications. I'm sending you another PM.

Regards,
Wayne
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 87

Post by Premod70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 pm

With the Fecker a small drill one size larger than the detent to cut the detent away could also work and a ball bearing under the former detent hole for the clicks when and if needed. The Unertls may require a little more study.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:02 pm

That is an interesting idea also. I like it. But I like my idea better. At least so far.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 993
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Premod70 wroteCOLON
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 pm
With the Fecker a small drill one size larger than the detent to cut the detent away could also work and a ball bearing under the former detent hole for the clicks when and if needed. The Unertls may require a little more study.
Another excellent idea. Thanks.

Wayne

Premod70
PostsCOLON 87

Post by Premod70 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 am

TexasMac wroteCOLON
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 pm
Premod70 wroteCOLON
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 pm
Another excellent idea. Thanks.

Wayne
Thank you Wayne, if you ever run across a Unertl mount schematic or a photo of the mount disassembled please post. It would be interesting to see what can be done to the clickers.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 87

Post by Premod70 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 am

Brent wroteCOLON
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:02 pm
That is an interesting idea also. I like it. But I like my idea better. At least so far.
Brent, the only problem I see with your method is the possibility of the plastic giving up during a big match and the clicker goes to making a sound :shock: . As paranoid as I am about such things occuring I would be breaking down one of my feeler gauges and making me a steel insert to replace that plastic piece, good luck.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583

Post by Brent » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:14 am

Steel may not work but give it a try. It will be a bear to get in there, and it may not stay in place if you do get it placed right. Drill a small hole in it first for the detent to grab onto. Maybe that will help.

With some practice now, it only takes very little time to refit a piece of plastic in there. It may fail, but so far, it hasn't. Only time will tell.

I have wanted to try HDPE or something like delrin, but I don't have any handy in the right thickness and I have some doubts about being able to get it in there.

Putting a smear of a thick grease on those cogs before inserting the plastic may also be a good idea, but I haven't tried it. What I do have is working. That's all I know right now.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 632
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm

You might try one of these. They come in all sizes and thickness. Easy to instal and remove.https://www.mscdirect.com/product/detai ... 7?fromRR=Y
I have some HDPE but it's .060" your welcome to. You can sand it down.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY