Western pa scope help

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
quillgordo
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Western Pennsylvania

Western pa scope help

Post by quillgordo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 pm

I have two sharps in 45/70. I want to scope one of them. I know there are many factors involved in choosing a Malcolm scope. I will predominately use this for hunting and plinking out to 300 yds or so. Is there anyone intimately knowledgeable near Indiana county that might be able to help. Thanks.
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!

Hanz
PostsCOLON 48
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:33 am
LocationCOLON Long Island, NY

Re: Western pa scope help

Post by Hanz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm certain if you drove up to Ridgway for a BPCR Silhouette match you could find someone.

http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com

Look's like their first BPCR Silhouette match is Sunday April 22, 2018. My guess some BPCR folks will be there on Saturday the 21st for practice. Just be mindful they are there to practice. I'd chat them up when they are cleaning up.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:27 pm

I am nowhere near W PA, but are you sure you want a Malcomb-style scope?
I'm not from here, I just live here.

quillgordo
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Western Pennsylvania

Post by quillgordo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Yes for the period correctness. What is your concern or thought?
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 am

They are long, awkward, and make for a rifle that is difficult to handle. The sights are slow to adjust also.

An alternative such at the MVA remake of the Winchester 5A would be considerably easier to use on all counts, but it's not period correct, and I understand that.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY