Chamber: Ballard Rifle & Cart Co 40-65

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
gunlaker
PostsCOLON 367
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Re: Chamber: Ballard Rifle & Cart Co 40-65

Post by gunlaker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 am

I am pretty much shooting only 520+gr Money bullets when I shoot .45 grease grooved bullets these days. I'd figure out the chamber dimensions before doing anything so you don't buy the wrong mold. If it has little freebore you will be surprised at how much case capacity the bullet eats up. I have a Meacham highwall in .45-70 and it shoots a 535gr Money bullet very well with only 61gr of Swiss 1.5. I have not tested it at the ram line yet so don't know if it'll hold vertical well, but that powder charge is in line with what some are using. Normally I use a lot more powder :-)

Chris.

Hiwall55
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON on the banks of the Mississippi river

Post by Hiwall55 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

look at a 480 saeco, mine shoots very well and it casts at .460 . the gents at redding said they just cut a new cherry to do mine and its ROUND, the first one wasn't.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 60
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks fellas, I'll work on the chamber specs Chris.

And I see the Saeco available at Montana Bullet Works with SPG lube so I can try some before buying a mould. Appreciate it.

Might try that Gov't bullet too if the 480s are not too punishing and if it works with the chamber.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY