45-70 bullet drop

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
spurdude
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 pm
LocationCOLON Bailey, Co.
CONTACTCOLON

45-70 bullet drop

Post by spurdude » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 pm

I know there are a lot of factors, but in a general sense if you held a level barrel and fired a 405 grain bullet not compensating with sights, how much would that bullet drop at a 100 yards?

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 111
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Re: 45-70 bullet drop

Post by Plainbase » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

About 1 foot assuming 1200 fps regardless of bullet weight.
Plainbase

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 975
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:48 am

spurdude wroteCOLON
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 pm
I know there are a lot of factors, but in a general sense if you held a level barrel and fired a 405 grain bullet not compensating with sights, how much would that bullet drop at a 100 yards?
In addition to the other factors it depends largely on velocity & the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Using a ballistic table, assuming a BPCR velocity of 1200 fps & a ballistic coefficient of 0.45, a 405 gr bullet will take 0.259 sec to travel 100 yds. Then using the forumla for gravitational fall (d = 0.5 * g * t) where d = drop distance, g = acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s/s) and t = time squared, the bullet would drop 0.329m (12.94") over 100 yds.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

jdavis
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Post by jdavis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm

TexasMac, you have got my attention. I have had a pedersolli long range super match creedmore in 45 70 for a few years. I have only recently reached a stage in life that offords a chance for me to enjoy the rifle. I have been a reloader of smokless cartriges many yeears. But, black powder is a new world. You noted some serious data concerning bullet, velocity, etc.. I really wont to dive deep into 45 70bp and wonder where or what publications I should pursue? I did see on your web site that you advertise a book by Wayn Mclerran. This book is ofcourse on another rifle. Can you lead me on the right track.
Thanks

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 975
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 pm

jdavis,

It depends on what you're looking for. If BP ballistics, other than pluging your bullet characteristics and velocities in one of the many online ballistic tables, there's not much to find and no literature available that I know of. Concerning reloading and shooting BP cartridge rifles, there's a series of very good books by Paul Matthews & published by Wolf Publishing Co.; a reloading primer by Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe; a book on loading for the .45-70 Springfield rifle by J.S. & Pat Wolf & published by Wolf's Western Traders; Preparation of Match ammo for BPCR by Robert Ballowe and several online articles on loading BPCR by various authors. Google the above authors and publishers, and loading BPCR to locate sources of the books and online literature. The Paul Matthews' books are the most well known.

BTW, my book on the Browning BPCR has a lot of general reloading information applicable to all makes of BPCRs plus many specific loads for the Browning BPCR cartridges (.40-65, .45-70 & .45-90). I also cover the process I use when loading for the .40-65. Check out the Table of Contents on my website (www.texas-mac.com)

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

jdavis
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Post by jdavis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Thaks. I will check the materials you provided.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY