40-72

This is the general discussion area for the forums at BPCR.net. Anyone who appreciates and enjoys the classic single shot rifles of the late 1800 period is welcome to take part here. Civility in all postings, and respect for your fellow shooters are the primary expectations of all members. Trolls will be removed from the membership without warning or recourse. The Forum owner has the final, and only, say in who is determined to be a troll. Please try to put your posts in the correct forum. (Example: loading tips and questions in the "Cartridge Loading..." forum.) Postings may be moved by the moderator to correct forums if he determines they can be better placed.
bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 59
JoinedCOLON Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: 40-72

Post by bruce moulds » Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm

to soot long range with a 40, you need a bullet 440 to 460 gns to keep up with a 45 with 540 gn bullets.
100 gns less bullwt wt = less recoil.
yes the odg liked the 40 for mid range, but their twists only allowed bullets of about 330 gns max.
this is where to 40/72 shines.
it works well mid and a long range for sil and targets.
you just have to do the homework on loading it.
brent and don, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one
as the French say, "vive la difference"
keep safe,
bruce.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm

It got lucky a few times but I'd not say much more than that. :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 589
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Sat May 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I think I will chop off 4" on the #1 40-70 Shiloh and get it down to Silhouette weight. I used to shoot that rifle a lot for the gong shoots and it shot well at long range, but with the 16 ROT using the long nosed pointed bullets the rifle accuracy did not impress me at all. GG or PP.
But if I use a bullet with the blunter nose like a postell or even the blunter nosed Brooks Creedmoor this rifle will shoot well using a 420 gr postell nosed GG or PP bullet out to 1100 yards on the Shiloh range and the 1K Alliance Nebraska range even in the unpredictable winds on that range. I might be making a mistake taking 4" off that 34" barrel but maybe I will shoot it more for the silhouette games using the original Sharps round nosed PP bullet I have a adjustable mould for and I opened that mould to a 435 gr and it will hold the 1K target in fine shape.
The bullet profile has a lot to do holding stability when you start lengthening it.
My .50, I shoot a 1.5" bullet with it's 1/22 ROT and it does very good shooting that 718 gr torpedo. :D
Kurt
These are the bullets that work the best in my .50

6mmintl
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Post by 6mmintl » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:04 pm

I have a 40-72 with 1x13 twist silent match grade sstl barrel. My friend Marion Saltzman and another gent have our three guns smithed by Mike Lewis.

Unfortunately I have not been able to shoot it much after a heart attack.

Mine is on a browning 1885 hi wall action, I have 500 pcs Hornady brass and shoot the Paul Jones 430 money bullet.

If interested i would sell it
Frank Ambruso

Phoboga@att.net

BUTTON_POST_REPLY