Best companies/gunsmiths to work for specializing in BPCR?

Post your projects and questions here.
jhawes71
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

Best companies/gunsmiths to work for specializing in BPCR?

Post by jhawes71 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Just started my final semester of school at the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School and am sending out resumes and applying to jobs. My passion is for BPCR and muzzleloaders but am very well versed in modern guns as well. Ideally after graduating I would like to work for a manufacture or gunsmith specializing in BPCR's to learn from and work my hardest for. Who in your opinions should I be applying to or contacting? Anyone know of a gunsmith needing help or any other job leads? All information is greatly appreciated.

Deadeye Bly
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Best companies/gunsmiths to work for specializing in BPCR?

Post by Deadeye Bly » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Check with Johnson's Sporting Goods in Adrian MI. They do a full line of gunsmithing and have Steve Durren, one of the best BPCR/antique gunsmiths in the business. I don't know if they would take an apprentice but it is worth checking.

Arnie
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I thought I saw an add from Lee Shaver recently for a gunsmith . You would learn a lot about old guns working for him .

Premod70
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 pm

I'd send resumes to the top national makers; Shiloh Sharps, C Sharps, CPA and any of the others. Those folks make enough firearms to find out where your talents ly and give you more time on the bench developing such. Good luck.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:49 am

Very few in Australia, let alone good ones.

Come on over, we have a spare room.

JIMOFATL
PostsCOLON 79
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:44 pm
LocationCOLON Georgia

Post by JIMOFATL » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:59 pm

If you are looking for a great learning environment, I would contact Shiloh Rifles. They are always looking for talented rifle smiths and you would be in a beautiful area as a bonus.........

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1033
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

Arnie wroteCOLON
Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 pm
I thought I saw an add from Lee Shaver recently for a gunsmith . You would learn a lot about old guns working for him .
Arnie,

Apparently jhawes71 (John Hawes) got the job working for Lee Shaver. He's already published a couple of articles in The Single Shot Exchange Magazine discussing his "Apprentice Adventures". Good for him.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY