Finishing a couple new rifles

Post your projects and questions here.
Kurt
PostsCOLON 657
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Finishing a couple new rifles

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:41 pm

I had CPA Rifle build me three new rifles. A .44-75 Ballard, .44-100 Rem St. and a .45-90. I ordered these rifles with the wood in the standard grade and in the raw to finish them myself. I normally don't like the glossy finish on my gunstocks. I like to use Formsby's Tung Oil for a finish on my wood and normally I use the low gloss. The oil does a fine job sealing the wood what is important to me because at times at a match when it starts to rain you shoot in the rain unless lightning shows up. These stocks in the photo's have 12 coats of tung oil on them and the pores in wood the are pretty much filled. I think I might hold up putting more on till later.
One stock I buffed out with extra fine steel wool to take the gloss off and just rubbed the finish with a paper towel to bring a little shine back out and it is what I usually like.
The other stock I left the gloss on to see if I like it. That wood I rubbed the oil in with my bare hand till the oil was dry enough that a finger print does not show up but still tacky. I do this to all of my wood when I finish it and it fills the pores very well. But I just cant decide if I like the gloss or not, but it sure brings out the figure well.
Top is the .45-90 Silhouette rifle.
Middle .44-2.6-100 long range
bottom .44-2-5/8-90 Bn. long range rifle.
Gloss
Image Image
Gloss knocked off
Image Image
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

mrhunterken
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm
LocationCOLON New Jersey
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Finishing a couple new rifles

Post by mrhunterken » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Kurt, they all look great!! Although me I'm partial to the duller finishes,(military) on my wood stocks.
NRA Life (Patron) Member, USMC League Shooting Team, NRA Certified Range Officer. Proud Owner of a.44/77 .45/70, .45/90,.50/70, .50/90, 2 Trapdoors. and a host of others :!: :!:

Kurt
PostsCOLON 657

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Yes I like the dull rubbed finish also. I just finished taking the gloss off. It looks like the bottom one now.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Well, they all look great. Gloss, semigloss, etc, they are great when they are done right like that. Keeping surfaces flat where they need to be flat and curved smoothly where they are supposed to be curved, that's the hard part that so many times does quite happen. You have nice stuff there, Kurt.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Oil rubbed out to a hard finish gives the wood a warm look that no gloss can match, great looking stocks on those CPA's.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 657

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Thank you guys.

For standard wood I think it's pretty good. When I picked up the rifles I asked Gail and Paul if they made a mistake and put the wrong wood on the rifle and they said no it's the standard.

Brent, I recut the square cut bench forearm and put a beaver tail on it I like it much better and I also made one like the others but I will take it with me incase the beaver tail will not pass the dimension requirements at a NRA match. Reading on the Shiloh forum about the rules on the forearm at 2" max mine is 2.010" :) and I aint going to sand it anymore :)
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Never seen a forearm measured at a match. Not even once. :)

That reminds me, I need to figure out how to sharpen my octagon scraper blades.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 657

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Use the barrel unless it's tapered.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Kurt wroteCOLONUse the barrel unless it's tapered.
Yep, tapered. I have a Gunline scraper that has 3-4 blade in a nice handle. Works pretty well but not very sharp when I got it and less sharp now.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 657

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Just reroll the edge like you would a regular flat wood scraper. Use a smooth round rod or a 80 or 120 penny pole barn spike works good. Put the blade in a vice and come straight down on top of the blade with the rod on a downward taper and travel the whole width of the blade like if you where using a file. This will roll the edge back out and do it's job again.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Just got finished with the sharpening. I used a Work Sharp station to flatten and square the edges and then I have a jig for rolling and burnishing the edges that worked okay. The parts are pretty small for the jig though, so I might redo the rolling in the vice like you suggest. But it is much better than it was.

Have you ever tried a "steel," as in a sharpening steel, to roll the edge? Maybe it is too rough, but the use of a steel is essentially the same as using burnisher.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 657

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:30 pm

I forgot to say to square the edge first. A round screwdriver shank also will work good for rolling the edge.
A scraper is a very good tool for working on a stock after it comes off a duplicator. I like it better then a file. It don't pull the grain like a file or rasp.
Teddy Roosevelt.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 am

Kurt, Very nice work! And beautiful wood. For me the gloss looks good at first but after a while I'm back to appreciating how you finished it. Thanks for the description of how you apply the Tongue Oil.

One of these days I want to reduce the forearm and stock width on an old Marlin Waffle Top I have. I don't care for those perch-belly forearms after handling the 1893s and 1894s so much. My concern is making them as graceful as the factory forearms on an 1893. I've seen several similar attempts and they just don't get the radius to look the same after they try and shape it. It's not belt sander work, if you know what I mean. Not sure how to go about getting the effect of an original.

Original Marlin 1895
Stocks (1895).JPG
Stocks (1895).JPG (129.85 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
Waffle top and most 336 forearms
Stocks (Waffle Top).JPG
Stocks (Waffle Top).JPG (100.86 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678

Post by Brent » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Sarge, what does Waffle top mean with respect to a 95? Is this an old original 95 from the early 20th century or the modeled 336s that were made a few decades ago?

But either way, I know exactly what you mean by the svelte lines of a 94 or 93 forarm and those fat things that came along later. The Marlin 39a went through this too back in the late 40s an early 50s, when the best 39as were built. Best except that they had white line spacers (easily removed) and really, really fat forearms. I found a take off forearm and cut it down using a plane, drawn knife and one of those cheese grater like woodplane/handfile, etc. Just took time and some care to keep it symmetrical and not tear out any wood when I got close to the final dimensions. Nice fun project. I used a little cherry stain to redden the forearm slightly to match the original buttstock. I could take a bit more off of it, but in the .22, the nose cap is pretty small, so I didn't go quite like a flush forearm on the older 95s or the 93s and 94s.

Here is it.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:07 am

Brent, That's a beauty! Nice job!!

The waffle top was made from 1948 to 1952. 336 was the model. The name comes from the wavy lines on top of the receiver. After that they went to the matt finish and started tapping the top for a scope. People are understandably reluctant to tap and drill for a scope on those old Waffle tops and usually opt for a receiver sight like pictured here. I have four of them but am planning to sell a 32 Special to raise funds for Case Color the 35REM I've targeted for shaving the perch-belly forearm and slim the stock. My other two are rare ADL models so I won't mess with them. Here are pictures of an ADL and a 336-A.
35REM 1950 336-A (2).jpg
35REM 1950 336-A (2).jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
32 Special 336-ADL (2).jpg
32 Special 336-ADL (2).jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 2871 times

One of these days I keep thinking I'll work with them again like I used to. Since I diverted to these Ballards even my vintage levers let alone these 336s get neglected. Hate to let a fun rifle sit in the safe without shooting them enough so won't let that happen for too long.

As to your question, good catch! My post mentions 1893s and 1894s but the slim forearm was the same on the 1895s. The one pictured is an 1895 made in 1899 and is a 40-65.
Last edited by 1 on SgtDog0311, edited 0 times in total.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY