Post your projects and questions here.
mrhunterken
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm
LocationCOLON New Jersey
CONTACTCOLON

Pedersoli Tang Sights

Post by mrhunterken » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:19 pm

OK, so I picked up my Shiloh .45-110, I also grabbed a Pedersoli 74 in .45/70 30" Heavy Octagon Barrel, real pretty. It was just sittin there cryin for a home. :cry: :cry: I turned my back to walk away, and I don't know what happened :? :? , next thing I remember it was, it was in the back of my truck on the way home!! Anyway upon my post buy cleaning, I realized the tang sight, which is also a Pedersoli Mid Range, will only fold to the forward position, Very inconvenient for swabbing between shot strings. I tried flipping the base, but then my sights didn't line up at all. All cleaning needs to be done from the muzzle. Does anyone have a fix for this, or do I need to buy a better rear sight. For now I can only shoot smokeless, and for that, I have other 45/70's. I would also like to switch out the front globe for a better one, I'm I correct in thinking, they use metric dovetails. If I contact a company like MVA, can they work it out?
NRA Life (Patron) Member, USMC League Shooting Team, NRA Certified Range Officer. Proud Owner of a.44/77 .45/70, .45/90,.50/70, .50/90, 2 Trapdoors. and a host of others :!: :!:

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Re: Pedersoli Tang Sights

Post by gunlaker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:16 am

My first Shiloh had a Pedersoli tang sight on it for a while. Blasphemy, I know :-)

I remember having the same problem as you, but I was able to fiddle with the adjustment screw on the leaf spring that holds the sight staff upright. After that I was able to rotate it backwards and clean from the breech. I don't remember exactly what I did, or whether I rotated the sight base, but I did make it work. Ultimately I got rid of the sight and switched to an MVA which is much nicer.

I'll bet that MVA can cut a sight for any dovetail. If not, it's very likely that Jim at Distant Thunder can make you a front sight. I have one of his and am very happy with it. I think it has a few features that make it a better front sight than the MVA.

Chris.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:10 am

mrhunterken wroteCOLONI would also like to switch out the front globe for a better one, I'm I correct in thinking, they use metric dovetails.
A sight with a 3/8-inch dovetail (.378") will fit your Pedersoli.

If it is at all loose, a shim (under the bottom of the dovetail) as thin as Scotch tape is sometimes enough to snug it up.
A small rectangle cut from an aluminum Coke can is about 5 thousandths ... if you need something that thick.

I would surely go with various kinds of shim material before following advice to 'peen' anything with a hammer and punch.

As it happens, I am reading your post and it makes me remember a sight I saw on eBay in the last couple of days.
I remember it because it is the same as mine ... except that mine is color cased instead of blue.

It's a twenty dollar bill less that the most similar MVA sight, and it has a double handful of inserts with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Sharp-Arms-Gl ... Sw8oFXzgvF

The maker is Smith Enterpise, which has a fine reputation for gun parts.
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

mrhunterken
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:38 pm
LocationCOLON New Jersey
CONTACTCOLON

Post by mrhunterken » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Again, Thanks Montana, I don't plan on taking a hammer of any sort to my rifle to peen or not. Montana, you find some great stuff on E-Bay, and right now so have I. Just won a bunch of casting stuff and a .50 cal adjustable Brooks mould. I have gone way over my spending limit on toys this month and need to tone down a little bit. After all, it's going to be Santa season real soon, and need to spend money on some frivolous stuff for the other half :wink:. But I have enough casting to do to keep me busy for awhile. Just got done melting down about 200 lbs. of lead for casting bullets.
NRA Life (Patron) Member, USMC League Shooting Team, NRA Certified Range Officer. Proud Owner of a.44/77 .45/70, .45/90,.50/70, .50/90, 2 Trapdoors. and a host of others :!: :!:

BUTTON_POST_REPLY