Bone Charcoal

Post your projects and questions here.
Keith
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Bone Charcoal

Post by Keith » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:36 pm

I have a heap of cow bones I would like to make charcoal from for Colour Case Hardening experiments.
Has anyone done this or can direct me to other sites where this has been done.
When I was doing Rendevous we made charcloth by sealing it in a container with a small hole in it then putting it in the fire but I dont know if that would work with bones.

Keith

John Boy
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Re: Bone Charcoal

Post by John Boy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:59 am

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks John Boy. That was interesting and had some good ideas.
The problem is that here in Australia I have not found a scource of bone charcoal hence wanting to make my own.
Importing from Brownells would be expensive. The freight I pay even on small items from the USA is over the top.
I need some ideas on what sort of equipment is needed to turn bone into charcoal.
Keith

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 pm

I searched for wood charcoal burner and got lots of info so I think the drum inside a drum method might work for bone as well. I will give it a go.
Keith

Deadeye Bly
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Post by Deadeye Bly » Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 pm

I knew a guy who built high value muzzle loaders with beautiful color hardening and he said he used aquarium charcoal intended for filters in fish tanks. His work was always 1st class. Check an aquarium supply store for it. It's probably available in Australia.

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Wed May 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Thats an idea. Thanks.
I will have to make sure its bone charcoal and not wood though.
Another thing I found on the internet was that bone charcoal is used to make white sugar from brown.
We have a sugar refinery here in Queensland so I will ask them.
It may not still be the case as the Vegans got all in a tither when they heard about it.

Keith

John Boy
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Post by John Boy » Thu May 05, 2016 2:49 pm

The problem is that here in Australia I have not found a scource of bone charcoal
All vegans Down Under? Save the bones off your dinner plate - dry in the sun - grind them. Wrap the metal in leather with ground bones packed in - put in furnace = charcoal coated metal

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Use to have a couple of friends there at the Sugar plant. You might see if Rod Taylor (I believe that is correct anyway) is still working there. Tell him a Yank from Oklahoma told you to call him and he should help you!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY