Pedersoli Soule tang sight

Post your projects and questions here.
Keith
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Pedersoli Soule tang sight

Post by Keith » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:45 pm

I have a couple of these long range sights.
One is OK , the other seems to have worked loose on the windage screws.
I can hold the staff and move it from side to side at the top and its possible to see the LH knob move up and down. The RH knob does not move.
Is it possible to take out this play?
I might add the knobs on this one are flat and plain on the outside. One of the knobs on the other sight has the end of what looks to be a shaft visible. This may be threaded and allow it to be tightened, I dont know for sure but the sight in question does not have this.

Keith

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Pedersoli Soule tang sight

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Keith,
I don't know if you can fix it or not, but I have never heard anyone say anything good about these sights. Your rifle deserves better equipment, if you can afford it. It might be better to invest in a better alternative rather than to throw more money at something that isn't really up to par anyway.

Best of luck,
Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Thanks Brent. I know, I keep looking at the MVA offerings, then think I cant afford them.
I bought these about 20 yrs ago when there was not much to choose from here in OZ . They have done their time I guess and got me a first place at 600yds in the World Creedmoor we had here in Brisbane back in 2006.
I just thought someone might have had a quick fix.
I will take your advice and retire them, replace them with a good one and a couple of bases so I can swap it from rifle to rifle.

Keith

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Doesn't have to be MVA - there's others out there that are pretty good and are a bit less expensive (I didn't say cheap...). I'm partial to Sights from Mike Neumann, in South Africa - he'll basically taylor the sight to your needs, which I needed as I'm shooting a Martini action.
But a good tang sight is an essential piece of kit indeed.

Dusty Ed
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:29 am
LocationCOLON Hazleton Pa.
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Dusty Ed » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Howdy Keith
Is there set screw on the back side of the sight ?
As far as these Pedersoli sights being useless , I personally don't think so , I've been using Pedersoli Rifles an Sights for better than 20 years an winning
a whole bunch of matches.
Some have more slack in the elevation screw than others ,all you have to do is look at your setting, but I do that on any sight that I use.
I have purchased quite a few over the years ,Pedersoli Big 50 ,Pedersoli silhoeutte 45-70 ,Browning BPCR With The Factory Sight,
Remington R/R with a Axtell sight,Shiloh #1 Sporter an a Hoke Sight .
Most Of the Fellers That I shoot with use Pedersoli , close to fifty .

Dusty Ed
DUSTY ED

Arnie
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Have you taken the windage part of the sight apart ? I took a Browning one apart and it was simple to tighten it back up .It had a U shaped spring under the inner drum that keeps it tensioned and all I had to do is bend it a little .I would take it apart and see what it has in there and if all else fails ,send it to Lee Shaver and he can fix it .

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:29 pm

Keith wroteCOLONI might add the knobs on this one are flat and plain on the outside. One of the knobs on the other sight has the end of what looks to be a shaft visible. This may be threaded and allow it to be tightened, I dont know for sure but the sight in question does not have this.

Keith
I never got to disassembling when I had a Pedersoli Souls sight, but I think that it is done with two pairs of pliers.

With suitable padding in place (leather?) a pair of pliers on the right knob and another pair on the left knob, then turn in opposite directions.
They are probably 'sealed' with Loc Tite (or similar) but should come apart with sufficient ... and judicious ... force.

If your plan is to retire the sight because it is too worn out to be of service, you can't make it any more worthless by trying to take it apart ...
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:34 pm

I swapped it out for another I had. It works OK for load development but has no windage to speak of and the adjustment markings are so fine I can hardly read them.
Keith
Attachments
ped sight 01.JPG
ped sight 01.JPG (177.13 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

Keith
PostsCOLON 52

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Dusty Ed. There is a set screw on the back , but it just changes the effort needed to move the windage. Like a friction damper thing.
I will try what MC said and use a couple of Vice Grips :shock:
Pull it apart and see how it w
ped sight 03.JPG
ped sight 03.JPG (160.87 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
ped sight 02.JPG
ped sight 02.JPG (170.42 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
orks. I took the Hadley off and put it on the other. They swap straight over.

Woops.
The cursor must have been in the middle of the text.
Sorry.
Keith

John Boy
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Post by John Boy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 pm

Is it possible to take out this play?
Keith , the best person to ask is Lee Shaver, Pedersoli Repair in US ... 417 682-3330

BUTTON_POST_REPLY