Dovetail sight question

Post your projects and questions here.
'Ol Gabe
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:30 am

Dovetail sight question

Post by 'Ol Gabe » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:52 am

After a discussion last weekend with another new BPCR feller, we were both still in the dark on the following and figured I'd ask the pros here to get the straight poop since it seemed we were suffering from old age and extreme brain fade.
He said that when replacing a dovetail sight, front or rear on a Pedersoli, that the 3/8" dovetail replacement sights would go 'in' from the right side of the barrel as you looked down from the recvr. I said the left side as you looked down the barrel. The more we discussed it, the more we questioned our own answers. Somebody set us straight, sure would hate to goober anything up in the future!
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe

Voyageur
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:40 pm
LocationCOLON Rocky Mountains

Post by Voyageur » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:56 pm

I've never owned a Pedersoli but I think a vernier caliper would solve the problem right quick.

Digital Dan
PostsCOLON 137
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm
LocationCOLON Yankeetown, The Windy State

Post by Digital Dan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:46 am

Right side, looking from the receiver....that's how I understand it. One rifle of mine from the 1885 timeframe, a Blanch gun, is configured in exactly that configuration...and the dovetail is slightly tapered.
"Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short." Henry David Thoreau

ol timer
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 pm
LocationCOLON CENTERAL IOWA U.S. OF A.
CONTACTCOLON

Sight "Removel" from a dove tail.

Post by ol timer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:33 am

Wow ! Here I am surfin' a neat sight, when I think I found what I need !
After readin' I'AM STILL CONFUSED!
I'am not concerned about putin' a dove tail sight in. I want to know, "WHICH
WAY DO THE THINGS COME OUT ! (This is where you screw things up.)
Are foriegn dove tails differant from U.S.A. dove tails ?
Help me somebody, I'am diein' here.

Always check the chamber. TED
TED L. SMITH,SR.

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Post by g.pennell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:49 am

Ted,

My understanding is that dovetails are supposed to be tapered so that sights go in from Right to Left, and out from Left to Right...Left and Right as you look from breech to muzzle.

I don't think many modern dovetails are tapered, though. As far as foreign sizes, my experience is limited to a couple of Browning barrels, and they tend to be on the large side...I've always had to shim my front sights to fit those dovetails. Best bet is to measure the existing dovetail, and then get the sight closest to that size, and either shim or file the sight to fit.

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

ol timer
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:05 pm
LocationCOLON CENTERAL IOWA U.S. OF A.
CONTACTCOLON

Dovetail removal.

Post by ol timer » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:49 am

Greg:
Thank you very much. I wrote it down.If you have time, this revelant.
Every morning the catain of this Navy ship would go to his wall safe, open it up, pull out a piece of paper, read the contents and put it back. The captains' steward wondered what the heck he was doin'. While the captain was gone, the steward got the combination, opened the safe, pulled out the paper and read "PORT--LEFT. STARBROARD--RIGHT."
Now that there is funny. I don't care who you are.
Soooo as I see it, if the dovetail is tappered or not, big or small, I take it out LEFT to RIGHT. Put the new one in RIGHT to LEFT (as lookin' from the breech to the muzzle) and I should be good to go. AMEN !! Thanks again.

Always check the chamber. TED
TED L. SMITH,SR.

mdeland
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Post by mdeland » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 pm

One can easily figure this out with the use of a vernier scale measuring both sides. If cut on a taper one side will have a larger mouth. I always just try the sight by hand and one side will almost always go farther in than the other. This then is the way to introduce it. Most sights now days are the same on either side of the mail dove tail. I have personally cut alot of dovetail slots over the last twenty five years that fit well without cutting in any taper. A properly fit sight will bottom out in the dovetail and bearly scuff the top flat of the barrel under the top flange. They will never move if fit thusly. There should be no pucker up of the shoulders either. If it looks like you can throw a hound dog under either the base or flange for light showing as you look through from the side it is a poor fit. SD

TYRVR
PostsCOLON 172
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:09 pm
LocationCOLON Shenandoah Valley of Virginia,

Dovetail cuts:

Post by TYRVR » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:37 pm

I cut lots of dovetails, Colt slides, rifle barrels, scope mounts, specialty tooling requiring a replaceable components, all of them are cut straight, I have never seen a true "taper" cut dovetail, I suppose I could set up the machine to do so but what would be the point? Most all gun makers and gun smiths will tell you to drive the insert in from the right side, holding the gun as you would when shooting, remove the insert by driving from the left, IF it has been done so....the insert and the dovetail cut will be tapered, not from the cut but from compression, when you drive a slightly oversize insert into the dovetail, each of the two is compressed along the edges of the male dovetail cut and the female dovetail cut, so that when removed....both peices will have taper, but if you drive the insert all the way thru the dovetail cut.....both parts will be straight....just like the original cut! That is why sometimes you will encounter a dovetail that although you have just drifted the insert out of the cut and it was tight......when you try to replace the insert...it is loose! the insert has been driven all the way thru the cut and both are now compressed the entire width of the cut and the insert bottom......and...that is why GOD made Loc-Tite.
"Member #3, Brought Enough Gun Club"

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:27 pm

Dovetails are NOT tapered, but sight bases are! The bases are tapered to go in right to left, and out left to right. (as someone already mentioned.)

Digital Dan
PostsCOLON 137
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm
LocationCOLON Yankeetown, The Windy State

Post by Digital Dan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Doubting anybody cuts a dovetail tapered on purpose these days, machine tools being what they are. Way back when, I'm thinking mebbe dovetails were cut with a file. Purt near impossible to make 'em parallel that way, so I suppose one would pick one direction or the other. In the case of the gun I mentioned above it was built in 1885, both the sight base and dovetail are very slightly tapered, and the fit is flawless. Installed R-L, remove L-R as looking from the receiver. Anyway, as a matter of practice, all dovetail set ups should be configured the same way... unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. :roll:
"Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short." Henry David Thoreau

stlbpcr
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:25 am

Re: Dovetail sight question

Post by stlbpcr » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:45 am

I have a Pedersoli 4570 longrange sharps purchased from Cabelas. I drove the front sight out from left to right. Them bottom of the sight had an arrow on it indicating the sight should go in left to right. Looking at the barrel it appears there is some bulging of the dovetail in the center. The sight appears to be tapered. The dovetail on the barrel is not tapered.
Which way to remove the front sight from a Pedersoli Sharps may be a crap shoot!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY