Broken Case Extraction

Post your projects and questions here.
shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
JoinedCOLON Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Broken Case Extraction

Post by shovel80 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Separated a case today shooting a BPCR Silhouette Match....Tried a tight patch...Tried Pounding a bullet through the barrel from the muzzle....turned down a piece of Brass to just fit inside the muzzle.....Still in there....The case doesn't stick up above the lands, so there isn't anyting to push on... Is there something available to grab the inside of the case somehow so that I could have something to push on maybe with a hardwood dowel?? Any other Ideas?

Thanks, Terry :D

HpGuy420
PostsCOLON 325
JoinedCOLON Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:57 pm

Re: Broken Case Extraction

Post by HpGuy420 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Terry,

Plug your chamber. Next, stand the rifle with muzzle up and pour in enough penetrating oil (Kroil) to a level above the separated case's mouth. Let the rifle stand for a day or so. That should loosen up the case enough to use a super-tight patch carefully pounded down from the muzzle with a cleaning rod and appropriate jag.

Cheers,

Dan

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Dan! I will try that!

Terry

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply Dan! I will try that!

Terry

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Doesn't always work, but you can run a cleaning rod thru the barrel, put a cleaning patch ahead of the next size up bore brush and pull it back thru the chamber.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:37 pm

I once got a bronze brush stuck in a muzzleloader.
It was a .50 caliber brush, that I used to 'wipe between shots' in a .45 caliber gun.

That day, it was a new brush and I shoved it to the breechface, then tried to pull it out.
It would not come out, no matter how hard I pulled. (If I had turned it left or right, my troubles would have disappeared, but I was 'new'.)

So, if you push a new bronze brush straight into the case from the rear, it should 'set' the bristle tips like barbs against the brass.
A quick hit on a rod from the muzzle might knock it out and drag the case with it.

A handful of fresh brushes might be a good idea, and the presoak in Kroil could help, too.

I guess the 'worst case fix' is a chambering reamer.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

45bpcr
PostsCOLON 131
JoinedCOLON Sat May 09, 2009 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Live Free or Die

Post by 45bpcr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Terry,

This worked for me. Forgive the quick copy and paste from Shiloh's site, but, I was "the guy" 8)

Craig

Re: Source for 40 cal broken shell case extractor?

Postby Nuclearcricket » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 am
I have never had a case separation but I did help a guy get a 45-90 case out that had separated and pulled the case up into the rifling. He was trying to get it out by pushing a Lewis Lead Remover in from the muzzle and it was just pushing right through. I had him push it in from the breach till he was in past the mouth of the case and then pull it back out. On the second try it grabbed the case mouth and the broken case slid right out. By coming in from the breach it allowed the little brass mesh patch to kind of crumple up and grab a hold of the case mouth.
Like you he also thought it would be a good idea to have a bras plug that would just fit down the bore, so I made him up one that night and gave it to him the next day and told him I wish he never had to use it.
Sam

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Klaus had a broken case or two a few years back in Phoenix. He wasn't having any luck getting it out with a patch on a jag. I gave him a bore diameter patched bullet and he ran it down from the muzzle and punched out the case neck with a ramrod.

I don't know of that would work in your situation, but I'd be happy to mail you a couple if you want to try it and need a bullet or two if you are working with a .45 or "modern" .38.

The brass rod would be the best solution however.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Brent,

The first thing I tried was to tap a new bullet of the same type I shoot in the rifle down the barrel from the muzzle. It just slid right through the brass case. The case isn't into the rifling at all. I really don't understand why it is as tight as it seems??...I think most of the separated cases get pulled into the land/grooves.
I've got some cerrosafe on the way, and that will hopefully do the trick...I have thought about seeing if I can find a fine threaded tap that would grab into the inside of the case with out touching the exposed chamber walls, and lightly screw it in by hand, and try tapping on it from the muzzle with a hardwood dowel....

Terry :D

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 pm

I figured that might be the problem I wonder how it broke in the first place, w/o going into the rifling?

The cerrosafe sounds possible but i think the tap is the way to go. I've done the same pulling primers that have come apart in brass shotshells.

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 pm

First time i broke one...I was shooting at my third chicken when it happened, didn't realize it until I went to put in the fourth round...wouldn't chamber...I hadn't even noticed the short case that came out..LOL...I was concentrating on those Chickens!
Finger seated bullets....wipe between shots...wipe chamber and fire another....
Wore out the brass??...I've been shooting the same 100 rounds for about 14 loadings...I think..

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Post by shovel80 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:50 pm

The cerrosafe didn't work yesterday, so today, I turned a threaded tool on my lathe, and carefully screwed it into the inside of the case. Used a hardwood dowel in the muzzle and 1 tap and both the tool and the case came right out!

Thanks for all the Ideas!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1683

Post by Brent » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Super. I thought that might work pretty well.

mdeland
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Post by mdeland » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:03 pm

I think if one has a set of plug gauges that they would work nicely to drive out brass that has gone up bore. They are made of hardened tool steel and both ends have a slight chamfer so there is no chance of ruining the bore to use one against a separated case driven into the rifling. Actually it wouldn't hurt to turn one of brass to slip fit into the bore of each caliber one has and keep them in one shooting box.
I'm always nervous about putting anything hard into a chamber that bites into a broken case interior to get a grip for pulling. Particularly under range conditions where you can not always see well or have proper support for holding the rifle.
I wonder how a few seconds with a propane torch in the chamber with a broken case would work as the brass will conduct faster, absorb heat , expand and break it's compression adhesion to the chamber wall. Just a thought.
There is no danger to the bore with a propane torch as you cannot get enough heat into the barrel interior to do any damage with one . Mike D.

.22-5-40
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Post by .22-5-40 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 pm

Had a case break off in a .22 Hornet. I cut head off a sample hornet case..then I selected a machine screw that had an O.D. that was a tight fit in case..but still under case dia. so as not to break thru & scratch chamber. I filed notch in end..like a self-tapping screw & forced it a few turns into case..light tap with rod brought it right out.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY