Making blackpowder

Post your projects and questions here.
Grant
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:54 pm
LocationCOLON Sagle ID

Making blackpowder

Post by Grant » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 pm

I hope this is the right place for this. :idea: I was thinking that if I grt a stimulas check on using it to buy what Ineed to mill my own blackpowder. I think it would be a good way to use it to help the economy. What are your thoughts on this?Thanx Grant
You know it is a good day when you dont see your name in the obits.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 am

actually, you would be hard pressed to make it in a quantity with a consistency that would be useful. plus if you tried to gear up and make a large enough quantity to say end up with 5 or 10 lbs of the same "lot" then you would have a reason to take out a very large life insurance policy for your beneficiaries, just don't tell them you are making black powder. being very explosive, making enough to be useful is dangerous. I made teaspoonfuls when i was a kid from my chemistry set, but I would not even want to attempt it myself. the commercial companies themselves have accidents every so often

in my opinion, set your urge to be creative on oil finishing stocks or something that will leave you around to keep talking to us :-)

dc

Silver51
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:25 pm
LocationCOLON South Dakota

Post by Silver51 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:41 am

I looked into this once because I thought it would be fun and I teach chemistry. By the time you figure in the cost of quality ingredients the cost of your own black powder is double what you pay for commercial black. Then you have problems with consistent quality and the hazard problems indicated by DRCook.
Never lay down your gun to hug a bear.

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:29 pm

Hate to tell you this, but since 9-11 it's no longer legal to make your own blackpowder. If you contact BATF and ask them they'll cite you all the rules against doing so, even for personal use.

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:37 pm

marlinman93 wroteCOLONHate to tell you this, but since 9-11 it's no longer legal to make your own blackpowder. If you contact BATF and ask them they'll cite you all the rules against doing so, even for personal use.
OH WELL..... with the current administration it will soon be illegal to even think about firearms, soooo.....
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

BUTTON_POST_REPLY