First Custom Remington Rolling Block Build

Post your projects and questions here.
jhawes71
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

First Custom Remington Rolling Block Build

Post by jhawes71 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:24 pm

As a student at the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School, the second complete firearm build you do at gets to be a project of your own choosing. Some students build a firearm that is in the field they want to specialize in others build a firearm that maybe they have little experience with just to gain a greater understanding of them. I chose to build a firearm in the field I want to specialize in, that is Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and the like. I built a custom Remington #1 Rolling Block Long Range Target Rifle, using original rifles as a baseline and deviating slightly to fit my needs and vision.

For the action, I pieced together over the past few years new and used parts from Remington’s now discontinued Custom Shop RB1 rifle line. Remington in the mid-1990’s to early 2000’s made a run of custom rifles based of the original prints for collectors, shooters, and history buffs. I was able to purchase a stripped receiver and the small parts to complete it to use it as the foundation of my rifle. The barrel I used is a New Old Stock Badger barrel with 1-18” twist in a Winchester #3.5 contour. I chambered the barrel in the classic cartridge 45-70 Government, which will easily handle the 1,000yd range I intend to use it for. For sights I chose Lee Shaver Super Grade Soule Sights with bubble lever front globe sight. The stock is made of the highest grade curly hard maple from Dunlaps Woodcrafts. I left the wood unstained to have the blonde wood contrast with the deep dark bluing of the metal to draw attention to the rifle and hopefully drum up business for me in the future. Besides I think the maple in its natural state is just downright pretty, especially finished with about 20 coats of tung oil and coated with carnauba wax. It really “pops” in the sunlight.

I hand stamped all the barrel markings myself on the rifle to keep with the period style. The caliber designation I chose is one of the same ones Remington used to denote the 45-70 Government. Bonus points goes to anyone who can tell me what the special letter codes I stamped on the bottom of the barrel near the receiver mean. Hint: They’re all original codes minus one that I made up. What do the mean and how can they be useful?

The stock design has a higher comb than the original Remington rifles making more suitable for long range shooting. The forend is also a bit wider and has a unique taper and flare I designed myself to help fill the hand and be comfortable for match shooting, but is not true to an original design. I used ebony wood for the tip wood and grip cap.

Overall I am very pleased with how the rifle turned out and I learned a lot building it. I’m looking forward to handloading ammo for it and shooting it in competition. I hope you enjoy the build and please feel free to ask any questions.

jhawes71
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

Re: First Custom Remington Rolling Block Build

Post by jhawes71 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 pm

The building process.

kokomokid
PostsCOLON 84
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by kokomokid » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:10 am

Nice. Thanks for sharing,

kodiakken
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by kodiakken » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Very nice looking rifle for sure. I definitely like your choice of wood very different catches the eye right off.
Live by the Gun....Die by the Gun....

BFJ
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 am

Post by BFJ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 am

Amazing post and great work. Thanks for sharing.
BFJ
P.S. Make more.

Yellowhouse
PostsCOLON 111
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am
LocationCOLON Oklahoma

Post by Yellowhouse » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:21 pm

45 Govt would be one option

Bakebfr480
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Post by Bakebfr480 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:28 am

Beautiful rifle, good job!

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 120
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Post by Plainbase » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 am

Nice work and a lot of effort, but frankly, I don't care for the lines on the butt stock - specifically, the bottom line, the top line, the nose on the comb and the blend of stock to comb.
Plainbase

Yellowhouse
PostsCOLON 111
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am
LocationCOLON Oklahoma

Post by Yellowhouse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

Plainbase wroteCOLON
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 am
Nice work and a lot of effort, but frankly, I don't care for the lines on the butt stock - specifically, the bottom line, the top line, the nose on the comb and the blend of stock to comb.
Ditto, and the blond stock is a turnoff to me. Maple was meant to be stained to pop the curl IMHO. Really good work though....keep it up!

V= venier
pg= pistol grip
st=set trigger
and MS = maple stock I suppose.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:03 am

Really nice job !

The only piece of advice that I could offer is that you learn how to "time" the screws in the buttstock. If would look really classy if the slots were timed to both run vertical.

The other thing that I saw that could use work had nothing to do with the gun at all !! It is too bad that the school doesn't have someone that can show you how to grind more efficient tool bits. When I was your age I worked in a lot of different types of machine shops. You quickly learn that the tools that they (schools) show you how to grind are not that efficient at cutting metal. They do the job, but other forms cut easier.

Do some research on the internet and see if you can find some pictures of lathe bits ground up by the old time guys (like me).

Your pictures gave me back some memories from a long time ago when I was doing precision machine work.

The maple shows off your skills as it is not as easy to inlet and work with as say, walnut.

Thanks
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY