More
Attachments
IMG_1101.jpg
IMG_1101.jpg (17.14 KiB) Viewed 466 times
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 466 times
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 466 times
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Re: Building a rolling Block

Post by Old Soldier » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I got the wood from Treeborne. I knew there was a knot in the stock when I ordered it. He cut me some slack on the price because of it. Cut me a lot of slack actually. It is going to look OK, will be able to sand all of the bark out and it will look good. Beautiful color in the wood. The barrel is from BCR.in .45. I paid to have it blued. Guess we have a different definition. Can't mail it back for the difference. It is just as well, I had the Octagon portion made too long. I'll want it to end at the end of the fore stock.Better too long that too short. Bought some screws and small parts from rollingblockparts.com. I'm happy with the service. I'll have her chambered in 45-70. Can't go wrong there, and it will be my 5th 45-70 so I have some components. As you can tell, I have a rotary extractor. I hope 43 Spanish and 45-70 are close enough to work with out adding metal to the extractor. So, until I get some money to pay a gunsmith I'll sand the stock and dream. Thanks for the interest those of you who have asked. Sorry for the extra posts trying to solve what should have been a simple operation. Here is why I'm inside today.
Attachments
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 465 times
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

Brent
PostsCOLON 1627
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Building a rolling Block

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 am

What's not to love? That wood is NICE! And the rest of the rifle will make a great rifle. A roller might be ideal for a place where everything happens with mittens on.

I'd love to average your thermometer with ours (~45F). Winter is sucking badly here.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY