Post your projects and questions here.
Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 80
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

35/40 Lucas.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 am

Hi all,
I have started the ball rolling on a project rifle for 100 yd off hand and 200 yd Shutzen.
If I can work it, I'd like to go with the 35/40 Lucas.

I searched here and found a couple of posts from Kokomo and Beltfed, and am pretty impressed with what I read.
A friend in Oklahoma city, whom I met on the ASSRA Forum has one and so I asked him to contact Steve Baldwin for me which he did. I then E mailed Steve and had a conversation about the Cartridge, and in turn he sent me the Drawing (print) for the Ream design.

I will go with 1:12 because I don't need to knock Rams down at 300 yds, and I think (hope) that it might be a little easier to tune than a 1:10 with a long bullet, and, It will be used with BP.

My question here is what barrel. ? Remembering I'm in Oz, I get about 0.76c for my dollar, anything firearm related can be difficult to get across the Pacific, and last but not least. I AM NOT A MILLIONAIRE. :lol:
With out naming different companies, I see one in particular who caters to Oz very well, handles Douglas XX Premium barrels,
.357 in 1:12 twist. Is there any reason not to use a Douglas. ? I have two in .40 and they shoot very well, although they are probably 15 years old.

Any help appreciated as usual, Cheers Ian.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1567
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: 35/40 Lucas.

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:59 am

There is absolutely no reason to avoid a Douglas barrel. None at all.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 375
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:11 am

I have only two Douglas XX barrels on a CPA in .22LR and .32-40. I went with them on the advice of Gail at CPA and the gun shoots extremely well so I would use those barrels again.

I have a suspicion that most barrels are very good these days. I have barrels from all kinds of places, Shiloh, Badger, Green Mountain, Douglas, Ron Smith, BRC, and probably a few more that I have forgotten. I think they are all very good. I remember for a while people in the BPCR world thought that Badger was way superior to Green Mountain, but after shooting them I don't agree at all.

I think that the most important part is probably who chambers them, and what reamer they use.

Chris.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 80

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks Brent, thanks Chris.

I guessed as much. Just hoping that the cost of a Reamer and the barrel and the postage to Oz don't out weigh the fun factor.

Now.......... if things start to get out of hand price wise with buying a Ream or having the chamber cut in the States, (I am poor but happy), I will revert back to plan A1. (There's a dozen plans) :lol: ...................
As I already have one 32/40 (Martini action), I will go that way again (if the 35/40 doesn't happen) , as we have a reamer in our Club. Chris what twist do you have and what weight Projectile does it stabilise ? I see CPA advertise Douglas at 1:14 (.319) and Shilen (.320) but no twist rate shown.
The one I have is 1:16 (.320) which will stabilise my 195 grn NOE at about 1300 fps with Smokeless. Hoping to stay with .320 but at 1:14 that way I have several molds to try and can go longer / heavier.

Cheers guys. Ian.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 375

Post by gunlaker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Ian I will have a look later today. I think it's a 1:14 twist. Interestingly I always have some degree of bullet tipping in my .32-40 200gr projectiles when using black powder. Smokeless shows less tipping and sometimes none.

As a result I'm not really sure what is best for .32-40 with black powder to be honest. I followed the advice of a bunch of experienced .32-40 shooters on the ASSRA forum ( and advice from Gail at CPA ) for the twist. I think the answer for me is a slightly shorter ( 185gr or so ) bullet that is a bit more aerodynamic than the Pope style bullet. Or to shoot my CPA rifles with the .38-55 barrels. I've never had show the slightest degree of tipping, even with Fg.

Chris.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 629
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Ian I have three recently build rifles that have XX premium barrels, a .22, .40 and a 45 the .40 I got last fall and all three rifles shoot very well. I would not think twice using Douglas barrels.
Kurt

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 375

Post by gunlaker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:57 pm

gunlaker wroteCOLON
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Ian I will have a look later today. I think it's a 1:14 twist.
I just had a look at the paperwork and it's a 1:14 twist.

Chris.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:47 am

Ian, Did you get my last PM over there on ASSRA? If you got steve’s drawing by now then your copy is better than the file version I was gonna send you. Mine must have been a picture I took of his drawing at his shop. Forgot I even had it! I modified mine reamer very little (think I tightened the neck diameter). Was gonna email you drawings of both versions after you said you were considering .357 groove. Pretty sure my TJ liner was .357/.348 (groove/bore). It seems like Manson charged around $200 for the reamer. Patience was and is the issue. Let me know if you get the barrel and I can help. I sent my email in that pm. Btw, my twist is only 14 and my bullet only 280gr. Seems like Crossno’s and Baldwin’s and a couple others were 11 twists and bullets were in 360 range - somewhere in there anyway. I am not shooting BPCR with mine. I’m not sure I’ve even shot BP in it. It is quite accurate at 500 yds.

Edited this to correct bore diameter
Last edited by 1 on SgtDog0311, edited 0 times in total.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 80

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi John,

Yes I did, sorry not to acknowledge.

Yes I Emailed Steve Baldwin and he has a couple for sale. 1:10 twist for a 360 grn bullet, to knock the Rams over.

I would go 1:14 too. Life is hectic at the moment.

Cheers Ian.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY