Building a rolling Block

Post your projects and questions here.
Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Building a rolling Block

Post by Old Soldier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:38 am

I've had an old roller action kicking around for 30 years or so. I'm finally getting around to it. Looking to you guys to offer pitfalls I should be aware of.
No competitive shooting near where I live. So, I'll be using the rifle for my own pleasure, mostly at 200 yards, sometimes stretching it. If I'm man enough to carry it, I'll hunt moose and bear with it.

Action: Old military #1. I would guess it was in .43 Spanish. That is the most probable, and what I think the seller told me it was. Hoping the extractor on a .43 Spanish will work on a .45-70. What is your experience on this? I've polished the action and am going to leave it bright. The two trigger guard screws are buggered. I can try to fix them, but am willing to buy new ones. Any suggestions on where?

Barrel: Ordered a choked target barrel from BCR .45 caliber, 30" long 1.2" octagon for 12" then .90 round. I know it will be heavy, but the barrel hole in the action is most an inch in Diameter. Gotta plug that hole, with some left over for a shoulder, when I screw the barrel in. So I don't think I could go much smaller in barrel diameter. I'll have it chambered in 45-70. I'll use BP with a 500 grain grease grooved bullet in fixed ammunition. My gunsmith will have to rent a chamber cutter, as he doesn't have one. I'll take him a dummy round. Any advice on chambers? or chambering?

I have wood coming from Treeborne. Their midrange shot gun butt stock and scannable fore arm. I also ordered the shot gun steel butt plate, and a fore arm hanger. I'll stock it. I don't checker though. Any reasonable (price and time) checkers out there? What about gap between the forearm and the receiver? How much should I leave?

I'll have time to save up for sights while I build the rifle. I want a midrange tang sight. And probably and spirt level front, but maybe the flip up combo front sight. Any advice there?

OK, so what am I forgetting? Where am I about to screw up hard? My first time planning a rifle so I know I'm missing something. Thanks.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Building a rolling Block

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Sounds like a grand old project. I'm no super experienced with roller, though I have owned a couple (mostly briefly).

for the ammo and goals you have for the rifle, I think a SAMI spec reamer would be fine and dandy. No need to get fancy about it. I assume your barrel will be 18"twist. That is one thing I would not deviate from unless it was to be a target rifle (then a 16" would have to be considered).

Here is a thought for your barrel profile however. Suppose you wanted a lighter rifle or a longer barrel w/o excessive weight. You could consider having a collar cut at the shoulder of the barrel so that you can use that to face with the action. Be sure to square that receiver face. You can sort of see what I'm talking about on this Sharps of mine, but if you want, I can get a closer picture. that rifle has a 32" barrel and weighs about 10.5 lbs.

Also, with your profile, I think it looks and feels best when the transition from octagon to round is very minimal in terms of diameter. And abrupt change always looks odd to me.

Sights. I have a lot of thoughts about sights for hunting and targets. I have used tang sights for hunting for many, many years. There are a couple of options. You can go with a vernier tang sight like the MVA 107 and use the elevator screw to adjust for distances as needed. This usually works fine, but sometimes you get caught flatfooted with the wrong sight setting in and no time (or cover) to change. This happened on an eland which I had to hold a full 12" low on. I was holding on air under the bull, but I got him perfectly centered in the heart.

Alternatively, you can use a sight without an elevator screw or a reversed one so that you can safely shoot with the sight folded back and use the barrel sights for up close. I did that with this Ballard. The barrel sights were zeroed for 100 yds, and the tang sight set at 200 yds. The moose was at 80 and everything worked exactly as planned.

I'm not from here, I just live here.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Oh yes, checkering. I am a fan of Tim Lyon-Smith. He has done one or two rifles for me. He is getting to be better known now, so more $ and more time, but still a pretty good deal and a really nice guy.
http://www.classiccheckering.com/

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks Brent,

I did not think about a collar on the barrel. That is a good idea. I don't know if the manufacture offers that, but it is worth an ask. Yes the twist will be 1-18. I've had good luck with that in the past. I'll check out the web site you sent. Thanks.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm

In some cases, they call this a "Tulip" and it is really an artifact of octagoning. Pretty easy to do and then you can have a rifle with a nice tapered barrel that is still long - I like long barrels for no particular reason.

.22Ballard
PostsCOLON 28
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by .22Ballard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 pm

For checkering, I highly recommend Tim Smith-Lyon of Classic Checkering. His turn around is pretty fast, the work is excellent, and reasonably priced. He's done quite a few jobs for me and I've never been anything but pleased with his work.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592

Post by Brent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:06 pm

+1 for Tim

RnnHntr
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:10 pm
LocationCOLON Eastern Colorado

Post by RnnHntr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I recently went through the same thing. This is a before and the result, but in .50-70. The action is a Carl Gustav. Now I just need to find a good hunting bullet.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:51 am

That's a great looking rifle. Finding a good bullet should be no problem.

I wonder what happened with our original poster, Old Soldier?

Are you still out there, and how is your project coming?

BUTTON_POST_REPLY