Broken mainspring

Post your projects and questions here.
Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Broken mainspring

Post by Rantheman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 pm

A few days ago, while shooting, the mainspring in my armi sports/ Taylors 1874 sharps sporting rifle broke. I didn't know that until I got home and broke it down. It snapped about an inch behind the stirrup. When I took the lock off the broken part fell out and I cant quite figure out how to put the new one I ordered from Taylors back in. Usually I can find a tutorial on YouTube or somewhere but I can't find anything on replacing mainspring. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of a mainspring in place? Am I going to have to disassemble the trigger/ hammer to put the spring back on the hammer stirrup? Nearest real gunsmith is 100 miles and my rifle will be there at least a month so I figured I could do it my self but sure would help if I could see a picture. Thanks for any advice or info

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Broken mainspring

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 am

I do not have pictures but you will almost certainly have to compress the spring before mounting it. This is done with a special tool - or, in times of desperation, a vice grips (which can cause damage resulting in another failure).

Here are the two best drawings I can find.

I'm not from here, I just live here.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523

Post by Brent » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 am

this is a proper spring vice for the job you need to do.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... OL-VISE-DX

Premod70
PostsCOLON 75
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:57 pm

A small slightly modified c-clamp can get you by in a pinch.

Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39

Post by Rantheman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I do have the spring vise. I ordered back when I was into the Kentucky rifles. Problem I have is how the main spring attaches to hammer. The second drawing ,which is easier to see shows the fork in the spring reversed from the one I have. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll make the drive and drop it off with the real gunsmiths at darlington gun works across from the race track. I also have a Cimmaron 1873 Winchester that I buggered up one of the screws so I'll just take that also

Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39

Post by Rantheman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:41 am

Broke the new one trying to install it. Ordered another at $37.50. That's $75 worth. This one is going to gunsmith. Probably cost $100 and rifle will be tied up a month but at least I'll get it back working. In meantime I'll go back to the buffalo classic.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523

Post by Brent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 am

Bummer. Sorry to hear that . Good luck with the next one.
Brent

BUTTON_POST_REPLY