2012 BPCR Silhouette Results?

Here is the place for timely discussions of NRA rule changes, Whittington Center National matches, etc. Let's get these changes and concerns out in the open for all to see and discuss.
SSShooter
PostsCOLON 105
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm
LocationCOLON Mays Landing, NJ

2012 BPCR Silhouette Results?

Post by SSShooter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 am

Anyone got any results for the BPCR silhoutte nationals last week? We've heard that John Hagan won the senior masters and set a new record for rams, but nonthing official. And, of course, the NRA is spending all our money on their political BS rather than supporting competitions and reporting the results.

SSShooter
PostsCOLON 105
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm
LocationCOLON Mays Landing, NJ

Re: 2012 BPCR Silhouette Results?

Post by SSShooter » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:30 am

Not many posts here. Did manage to shoot the 2014 matches at Raton and had a great time. 96 scope shooters & 92 iron-sight shooters. Jerry Vanwey (sp?) won the scope match and Rick Moritz won the iron-sight match. Rick's win was notable for the fact that he won shooting a 38cal rifle as opposed to the howitzers that many think are needed to do well at Raton. Weather was very variable. Rain most every day (usually during the last animal, or so), wind, poor visibility, wet/dark banks that made the animals difficult to see, poor job of painting, etc. All-in-all, while the number of shooters continues to decline, really enjoyed it and hope to do again in 2015.

The .22BPCR matches were held the 2-days prior to the BPCR matches and had something like 115 competitors. It continues to expand while the BPCR matches continue to shrink. Likely due to the indifference (I'm being kind) with which the NRA treats the BPCR matches compared to the excellent leadership shown by the crew at the .22BPCR match. IIRC, Brain Chilson won the scope and J. Oder won the iron-sight match. A true monsoon blew in at the end of the match, which cancelled the awards, etc., until the end of the 2nd day of BPCR matches. Great fun and likely will be bigger/better in 2015.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Yes, the .22 match went quite well again! And I think it could have more shooters wanting to enter the match next year. However, I think they are about at the limit of how many shooters they can run in a match without adding another set of targets. I think the turn out for the BPCR match is complimentary to those wanting to shoot the .22 match and the same in reverse. I don't think either would do as well without the other's match. I would like to see them maybe put the .22 match in between the Scope and Iron matches. Think that could work well for both groups and give Mr. Conners and his crew a few days off to rest up from the other matches going on in those few weeks of shooting. It would take a little effort in co-ordination between the NRA, Whittington Center and the .22 BPCRA group.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 am

John, I agree there is a growing interest in the .22 and it is as much a reason for going to Raton as the centerfire BPCR. But I think it would be worth a look to see how many shoot the irons and scope in BPCR but not the .22. You have complete lists of all the competitors so you can do an actual count. There are still a lot of shooters who shoot the big guns but not the .22s. The Montana crowd immediately comes to mind, and I think there are many more.

At some point, they will have to consider a separate scope match and irons match I suppose. There isn't much of a way to speed up the match so that more relays could be added (at least not short of automatic target setters - which ain't gonna happen).

I'm glad you board members will figure all of this out :) :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Brent, you make a good valid point. Though we have many that shoot .22 Match and Big Guns on the hill in Scope and/or Iron (at least 2/3 do), not all do. And since the other two are the NRA National matches, I can see them trying to make them available for shooters to do both events without worrying about the scheduling of the .22 match. I just can't help to think several might if it could all be fitted in a timely matter. It is not an ease task, but know the group is looking at adding another bank of targets and trying very hard to work with Whittington and the NRA to making this the great set of matches in the country!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1678
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 pm

John, as hard as it is for me to believe, I know there are some Big Gun shooters that don't like the .22 game - why I don't know. But be that as it may, working with the Whitt to keep everything bunched up like it is, is a good way to go. And if you can get more banks somehow, more power to ya!

Personally, I like the way things are now. If they bring back the BPTR Nationals to tandem with the BPCR like they used to, then there will be a collison up ahead. But I'm hopeful that things will work out. I know you guys will do the best you can.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY