Subject carried over from another forum...

Here is the place for timely discussions of NRA rule changes, Whittington Center National matches, etc. Let's get these changes and concerns out in the open for all to see and discuss.
idahjo
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:30 am

Subject carried over from another forum...

Post by idahjo » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 pm

I understand a Miller "F" is legal in BPCR competition as it apparently has a hmmmer "of sorts". I have a Ruger #3 (look-alike) in .40-65 and was trying to find out UNDER THE RULES, just what it can legally compete in?

Please, no 'catty' comments about Rugers (I have a total of 6 Winchester and Ballards) ... this bugger just shoots Soooo nice :wink:

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Post by g.pennell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:07 pm

Idajo,

I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and dig out my silhouette rule book, but the gist of an answer to your question is no, the Ruger is not a legal silhouette rifle. One of the stipulations in the rules is an exposed hammer, which also disqualifies the period-correct Sharps Borchardt.

Rugers are, to my understanding, legal for NRA Black Powder Target Rifle competition (mid-range and long-range). Your .40-65 ought to be dandy at mid-range distances.

I have a #3 myself that is just begging to be something else...I just have to decide on what.

Greg

idahjo
PostsCOLON 45

Thank You Sir, that was my understanding

Post by idahjo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:05 pm

The #3 does make a very accurate BP rifle. Ron Long did the metalwork on this 12-15 years ago. (too dark to show fiddleback grain)

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:27 pm

Boy, you really know how to get a guy to thinking...I might just have to have something similar done with mine. I have a #3 1/2 taper 1:12 twist Green Mountain barrel in .38 caliber...maybe a .38-50 or a .38-70...hmmmm!

Maybe stock it similar to a Sharps Borchardt, with an ebony forend tip, etc.

Now you done it...

Greg

idahjo
PostsCOLON 45

A Little More Info....

Post by idahjo » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:56 am

When I first got this it had been made into a .40-70 Sharps bottleneck. It was erratic shooting (why it was sold), and would shoot one day (at 2-300yards) into 4 inches or so.... next day it would not hit a garbage can lid! I got fed up finally and sent it to Ron Long to rebarrel. Come to find out, the Sharps chamber had been reamed off center :(

This thing had a shotgun butt on a high comb stock, and a silver Sharps-style forend insert. Grain was beautiful, but I got tired of the bruised cheek the high comb caused. Got fed up a second time and had a Winchester '85 cresent buttplate in the box. Decided it was 'fix it or kill it', and started working it down to a 'period' profile. Finished it off with an Austrisan single-set trigger from Brownell's. (very smoooth!)

I will try to remember one of these days and get a "good" picture to better show off it's 'stuff'...

beltfed
PostsCOLON 275
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Rugers for BPCRs-me too

Post by beltfed » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:52 pm

I built a long range rifle on a Ruger No 1V. Caliber 40-72W, Douglas 12 twist barrel, 32".
The V model worked out real well as the forearm is large enough to open up for the bull barrel which is 1.080 at mzle. And the stock is very comfortable to shoot. Haven't done anything with the trigger. It adjusted up pretty good, and I'm used to heavy (4.5# Service Rifle) triggers.
After some fits with getting right bullets, it seems to be percolating now, with some good groups with the NEI216A Gunn 410-455 bullet and a Brooks 1.54" long Super Snover is also looking promising. Not shooting right now, it only got up to 5degrees here, today.
I would insert a picture of it, but still trying to figure out how.????
beltfed/Arnie

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:13 am

Arnie, I'd love to see your Ruger...I have a No. 1 and a No. 3, and both are likely donors for custom rifles.

You'll have to post your photos on-line at one of the free hosting sites (I used photobucket.com). Then you copy the url of the particular photo, and paste it in the body of your message between the image tags (Img button above). Should look like this: , with the url for your photo between the two sets of brackets.

It took me a bit to figure it out, each of these BB's is a little different. The ASSRA site lets me link to photos I have stored on different MSN sites, but this one won't. Thus the move to Photobucket.

That .40-72 sounds interesting...I was thinking of a .40-82 myself, for a LR rifle.

Greg

beltfed
PostsCOLON 275
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

My Ruger No 1, cal 40-72W

Post by beltfed » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:01 pm

George,
I have a pic of my Ruger 40-72 on the "other" website,
"groups.msn.com/bpcr" run by alterfurz.

look in Pictures,
under "Beltfed's Pics"

Also, have pic of the 40-72 ctg, and some 40 cal bullets, etc.

Meanwhile I will get around to trying your directions as to getting pics into this forum.
Best Regards,
beltfed/Arnie

PS, Did I run into you at Lodi this past May?

Digital Dan
PostsCOLON 137
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm
LocationCOLON Yankeetown, The Windy State

Post by Digital Dan » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:54 am

Idahjo, pretty rifle...and you got me thinking...my gun budget is gettin' hammered from hangin' around you guys. Time to apply for a grant from...somebody. Lemme check my closet for gay/liberal clothing...
"Not that the story need be long, but it will take a long while to make it short." Henry David Thoreau

BUTTON_POST_REPLY