Silhouette sighter shots

Here is the place for timely discussions of NRA rule changes, Whittington Center National matches, etc. Let's get these changes and concerns out in the open for all to see and discuss.
powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm
LocationCOLON AR

Silhouette sighter shots

Post by powderburnt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 pm

For NRA BPCR silhouette, may a shooter continue to fire sighters into the 5 minute for record period if he hasn't started on his first bank of 5 animals for record.
I understand that you cannot fire sighters or foulers after you have started firing for record but it's unclear if you can continue firing sighters as a string beyond the 2 minute period allowed.

H.G.
Spotter to shooter after 5th sighter shot
"NOT RAMS, PIGS!!!!!!" Then he ran the pigs.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

yes, you can!

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm

The command is something to the affect, "You will have 7 minutes for sighters and score with a 30 second ready. You have a ready" So, shoot as many sighters as you want, but you will have a hard time shooting 5 sighters, 5 for score, make adjustments and blow tube/swipe in the 7 minutes time period. Many will only shoot 4 sighters to give themselves more time to shoot the targets for score. In a 60 round match on your second two sets of targets you will get 5 minutes for 5 shots for score, no sighters. You will feel at times rushed to get that done, lol. You are correct that once you go for score, you must continue and are not allowed to go back to sighters. If you have an opportunity it is nice to go early(Friday, Saturday or Sunday) and have a good starting setting for each distance before the match starts on Monday. Of course settings will change to weather conditions each day.

powderburnt
PostsCOLON 129
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm
LocationCOLON AR

Post by powderburnt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Maj. I agree that 7 minutes for more than 4 or 5 sighters and score would be a rush job but given the difficulty of seeng hit or miss in fog or rain on turkeys or rams it would be better to waste time on sighters and get a zip than to blindly go for score at the end of a 2 minute sighting period if your spotter could not call your shots and still get a zip. We tried 2 minutes only this weekend and it worked fine till the fog and rain came and made strikes on the gong sighters hard to see at 385 and 500. Had more time been allowed it may have been possible to "get on". We are new at this and have no members ever having shot BPCR silhouette, NRA style. The "BOOK" is not always clear. We want to do it right and keep it fair for all competitors with no surprises for visitors or for our members when they go out of state to another NRA match. I hate to call Greg Connor every time a different opinion arises. I prefer getting it here if I can get cause this forum is always open and more available. That's with all BS aside.

Let it be known, Benton Gun Club will allow unlimited sighters in the 7 minute period for the first bank of 5 animals.

Thanks, H.G.
Spotter to shooter after 5th sighter shot
"NOT RAMS, PIGS!!!!!!" Then he ran the pigs.

77sharps
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:44 pm
LocationCOLON Northern CA

Post by 77sharps » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Powderburnt,
There is no two minutes for sighters. The comand is seven minutes for sighters and five shots for record. If you need to shoot four or five sighters you'll be hard pressed to get off "5 shoots for record". Try to get to the match early to have close sight settings for each animal on that day.
Our firing line is "HOT" for 45 minutes to an hour pior to starting the match. Make sure you have a timer, set it for 7min 30 sec. Hit start when the 30 sec. prep time is given. Timer is on your shooting mat next to your 10 rounds for record. When you go for score you must close your ammo box and only shoot the 10 rounds you have on the mat.
5 minutes, for the second 5 shots for record, is a good test of how long you really need to fire five rounds. Then you have an idea how much "TIME" you can devote to sighters on your first 5 shoots for record.
Makes sense to me :?:
cb
Hate the smell of that new smokeless powder.

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Shooting 5 or even 6 sighters & 5 records shots isn't all that hard in the 7 minute period. You need to have your act together.

Kelley O.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 125
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

I stand corrected

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Thu May 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I stand corrected. You are right on the time.
Kelly, I said sometimes you feel rushed, not all the time, like when something goes wrong. Put in the wrong sight setting, etc... Yes, you normally have enough time to get your sighters in and shoot for score.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY